The way of the roses - Aldwark Bridge was closed

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
HarryD

Re: The way of the roses - Aldwark Bridge now reopened

Post by HarryD »

The BOATs and Bridleways from Milby near Boroughbridge to Myton on Swale via Clot House farm are rideable. Maybe the odd push at the end if this rain continues

From Myton a minor road plus BOATS and bridleways will get you to Aldwark. Again, should be rideable
scoot

Re: The way of the roses - Aldwark Bridge closed

Post by scoot »

Thanks for the replies, looks like we'll be taking the footpath. I don't want to annoy any locals so we'll walk if there is anyone about and ride it if safe / sensible to do so.

Brilliant info.

Thanks all,

Paul
Two wheels good, 4 wheels bad
scoot

Post by scoot »

iandusud wrote: 8 May 2023, 10:54pm I rode that way a couple of weeks ago on the day the bridge closed. As stated there is a footbridge a little way to the north and on the other side you can pick up a footpath. I was with a few other cyclists and we rode it. Perfectly rideable (of course not strictly legal). Only a short diversion from the normal route.
[/quote

Thanks, this is what i was hoping to hear so i can stay mainly on the route 👍

Paul
Steve

Post by Steve »

HarryD wrote: 9 May 2023, 8:51am The BOATs and Bridleways from Milby near Boroughbridge to Myton on Swale via Clot House farm are rideable. Maybe the odd push at the end if this rain continues

From Myton a minor road plus BOATS and bridleways will get you to Aldwark. Again, should be rideable
+1 for this undoubtedly legal, bucolic, and rideable option
scoot

Re: The way of the roses - Aldwark Bridge closed - UPDATE

Post by scoot »

Hi All,

Update following my TWOTR ride that I finished yesterday.

There is a suitable diversion using a footpath just before the bridge. Have a look at this link
https://wwyork.org/2020/06/16/aldwark-bridge-closure/ as seen in an earlier reply. It shows the OS map with the footpath and bridge.

Be aware this is a footpath and therefore we have no rights to cycle. most of the path is beside a golf course and used by buggies and would be easily rideable. There are a couple of gates that are easy to get through with a bike and the bridge at the far end is also used by buggies and therefore totally suitable for cyclists - the entry and exit to the bridge is a bit sttep and has gravel, therefore care is needed.
After the bridge we joined a road that run paralell to the river and back to the other side of the closed bridge.

We only saw 4 pedestrians who were friendly, we obviously haven't ticked the locals off yet :). Therefore please be considerate of other path users, as I'm sure we all are, so that we do not make this un useable by other cyclists.

One last comment: I had read that the route is well signposted, IMHO it could be better, most is good but it is very difficult to follow the route in some places, particularly in York - we wasted and hour trying to find signs and then resorted to google maps to get us back on route. Having said that we had a superb ride, the route is superb:) Riding west to east over 3 days we found the second half of day 1 was the hilliest, day 2 morning hilly but not as bad, the rest of the route was very picturesqe with pleasant rolling hills.

Thanks for the previous replies and enjoy your rides.

Paul
velotrev

Post by velotrev »

Just completed The WOTR with sister and brother in law. We had spotted that the bridge at Aldwark was closed but managed to plan a nice diversion on minor roads. Yes it added about 5miles to the days total but as previously suggetsted it was mainly flat. In response to signing, it is mostly good but coming out of York could do better, we didnt lose too much time though, one of the added advantages with touring with a goegraphy teacher I suppose.
scoot

Post by scoot »

York was very busy when we were there, probably didn't help.
Paul
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

We've had a couple of threads about the current closure of the Aldwark toll bridge but the discussion has understandably been about alternative routes during the works.

The Aldwark Bridge website has been linked previously and it has some comments about the future.

A general point is that the bridge was bought as an investment some three years ago and the new owners have set about making their investment pay. This looks like a key comment I've lifted from a longer explanation:-
It is our intention to try and improve the traffic flow and reduce congestion on the bridge approaches, which is very narrow by introducing a form of automation. We are currently in discussions with traffic consultants to investigate whether it is feasible to introduce an intelligent traffic light system. This will prevent two cars having to squeeze past each other, making crossing the bridge safer and quicker. (My emphasis
https://www.aldwarkbridge.com/about/

That suggests to me that they hope to recoup their substantial investment by changing the nature of the road traffic in the area. ie The works are expected to be complete towards the end of October, but it won't then be back to business as usual on this bit of the WOTR.
=======================================================
PS The Yorkshire Post's take on this.
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/heritag ... rs-4174379
thirdcrank

Re: The way of the roses - Aldwark Bridge re-opening

Post by thirdcrank »

It's reported that Aldwark Bridge re-opened today (17 February 2024)

https://www.aldwarkbridge.com/about/

Toll bridge to reopen after 10-month closure

(Detailed BBC report)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c1r15ny91n8o