repeating prescriptions from nhs

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

repeating prescriptions from nhs

Post by simonineaston »

I'm now on med.s that have been described by my GP as likely to be life-long. Other friends of a similar age are in a similar position. I order my repeating prescriptions via the nhs app, which mainly works well. There's only been one occasion when it wasn't available from the chemist when I turned up to collect it.. However, friends have described a number of occasions when the repeat prescription system has faltered.
As my pills are one daily for the rest of my life (or at least until the dose needs changing, following consultation with the GP) I wondered why I needed to apply for a repeat prescription every few weeks, instead of the prescription simply continuing automatically at regular intervals, until somebody presses the stop button appropriately.
Does anyone else have any hints, tips, advice or cheery anecdotes on the subject?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
VinceLedge

Re: repeating prescriptions from nhs

Post by VinceLedge »

One reason for not having automatic repeats is that there is a huge wastage of medicines by people continuing to order them when no longer taking them ( sometimes they have never taken them) so a system requiring some positive action by someone in order to trigger a repeat reduces that a bit.
Unfortunately the software for ordering a repeat prescription is separate from that used by pharmacists (which varies between different pharmacies as well) and the process requires interfaces between the systems and humans which can sometimes go wrong.

NB I am a retired pharmacist
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

This is in England?

How long have you got? ; - )

Although it's hard to have any in-depth discussions of NHS processes in this forum because they get swamped by individual experiences that have left the poster dissatisfied.

But here goes:

1 I don't know why that needs to be repeated every few weeks. I'll check with those responsible for the app and its interactions with your GP system to try and discover if that's just caution or specified by some authority.

2 I suggest that you ask your GP when that can go to 6 monthly or annually. Although you might be expected to be on it for life they may want reviews of your condition and progress.

3 "Medicine reviews" are getting a lot of attention and it looks as if they're often worthwhile. Prescriptions do tend to accumulate if they aren't reviewed and adherence drops off dramatically with the number of prescriptions. Most reviews are probably now carried out by qualified and trained pharmacists.

Jonathan

Edited: Crossed with previous post.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

MrsR2 medication,which is lifelong,is the same.I have to call in at the doctors every two weeks for her prescription,then wait 48hours for the doctor to verify it and the pharmacist to process it,medication that until a couple of years ago went through to the pharmacist automatically.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PS:

IMNSHO The separation of prescribing and dispensing in primary care is long past it's time of usefulness. But changes threaten the income of high street pharmacists. And they are seen by those in power as a very important resource for care of patients, and that won't change in the foreseeable future because of the shortage of GPs.

Jonathan
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

When I left hospital after my heart operation four years ago I was given, with other medications, a glyceryl trinatrate spray against pain. I never needed it, but ever since it reappears in the list of my medicines from the chemist, ready for requesting a repeat. Still 'twelve issues remaining'.
The chemist has had difficulties with supply of a dressing.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Thanks folks. I get most of what's been explained. And there's a thing too where the easier a system is, the more likely it is to be abused or ignored, leading I imagien to colossal waste. Very frustrating - my GP announces the number of wasted appointments regularly, in an attempt to get folk to tell her if they can't make it.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Do be aware that if you're getting a monthly 'script there is a "prepayment" option available which will reduce your costs significantly.

I have three different suppliers for my prescriptions, only one of those is a "we'll keep delivering" setup. I have to email the hospital pharmacy every four weeks (not every month) and run the NHS app on the same timescale.
It's a bit of a pain, particularly since at least some of the drugs I'm on I've been on for 34 years, and I hope I have that long again... I'd have thought that prescribing me two months at a time wouldn't be unreasonable for at least another decade or so.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

(I'm no medic so below is opinion and my non-medical understanding) No idea about OP's situation but I can see why some life-long meds are initially on shorter renewal timescales
e.g. I believe getting the dose right on some meds is more "trial and error" - start on low dose, monitor effect and then increase if not enough, etc.
e.g. many meds can cause side effects so there must be a risk that patient might suffer some (and for life-long it's maybe more significant than a bit of water retention for a week long course). In some cases might mean switch to an alternative.
e.g. People move, people change GPs, pharmacies closedown.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Some time back I was put on medications by my consultant that might have been lifelong. Dirt cheap pills but my GP didn't seem to be "cooperative" so would only renew the prescription at half the dose and consultant said that half the dose was useless. I gave-up on them so it wasn't lifelong, just a month.

One thing about longterm medications I hated was that I like to go travelling for longer trips (4+ months) but when I checked with GP practice they wont prescribe such that you can take enough pills with you for a longer trip. In some countries getting meds (that you can have any confidence in) is a nightmare (e.g. I needed malaria pill when in Burma and pharmacies there "don't inspire confidence"). It's not the prescription, it's the actual pills to take with you (most countries I travel in you don't need prescriptions, just some money to pay).

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

VinceLedge wrote: 9 May 2023, 10:24am One reason for not having automatic repeats is that there is a huge wastage of medicines by people continuing to order them when no longer taking them ( sometimes they have never taken them) so a system requiring some positive action by someone in order to trigger a repeat reduces that a bit.
Unfortunately the software for ordering a repeat prescription is separate from that used by pharmacists (which varies between different pharmacies as well) and the process requires interfaces between the systems and humans which can sometimes go wrong.
Jdsk wrote: 9 May 2023, 10:27am 1 I don't know why that needs to be repeated every few weeks. I'll check with those responsible for the app and its interactions with your GP system to try and discover if that's just caution or specified by some authority.
First response is that the app doesn't play with any of the values, including the repeat interval. It just passes them on unchanged.

Jonathan
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

I am sure you know about bulk prescription payments.For others check out it will save you a fortune paying singly.
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Here in Scotland, Mrs P will always need thyroid meds, the pharmacy does it all. They remind and get the prescription from the surgery. They then text to say it’s ready to pick up. It’s always just in time and very difficult to get a stock in to allow going away easier.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

As far as I can tell, my use of the repeat prescription feature found on the nhs app I have on my phone is about as in control as I'm going to get. Thanks for your contributions, folks.
S
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Be grateful you don't need to get an appointment each month (I'm glad we're beyond that now)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.