Seat tube lugs

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Nearholmer

Re: Seat tube lugs

Post by Nearholmer »

Yes, that’s pretty much what I was going to suggest: “penny” washers either side, and an M6 bolt, lock-washer and nut.

I do that on bikes that come with QR seat-post bolts anyway, to reduce the chances of the seat getting stolen.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

I have a 1966 Falcon frame with plain gauge 531 main tubes and a similar looking seat pin clamp which you can have. PM if you’re interested
Anthony_

Post by Anthony_ »

That's a very kind offer, but I suspect it is too mangled to take a regular seat pin.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

I was thinking you could unbraze the lug from my frame and replace yours.
Anthony_

Post by Anthony_ »

I think brazing is beyond the economic value of the frame.
Only thing I have noticed so far is that, with the copper grease, the clamp seems to need to be tightened very hard. With a frame this old, it seems almost worth just fixing the saddle height. No-one is going to be riding this bike except me!!
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Just put a suitable seat clamp around the seatpost above the tube, so that if the nut/bolt don't sqeeze enough to hold it, it won't slip down. Or use a jubillee clip done up very tight if you can't get the correct size or funds are limited.
Anthony_

Post by Anthony_ »

Yes, that's a good idea. It won't stop it turning, but it will stop it slipping down. I think I will do that.
Edit. They don't seem to be available for 26.6mm. Understandable, as that diameter would not normally have an external clamp.
CJ

Post by CJ »

Maybe too late now, but the first thing I would try is to poke a nail punch though from the other side - at a bit of angle - and hammer the metal back into the shape it's supposed to be, a bit at a time. Because I don't think the metal looks like it's been worn away, just bent inwards by the wrong shape and/or too small diameter of the previous fastener. Whilst doing this I would position the frame at an appropriate angle to the horizontal so that the supposed-to-be-flat lug-ole surface rests against a suitably flat and horizontal anvil. Lugs are made from malleable steel that will stand being hammered back into shape once or twice without cracking.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.