Peebles Area

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Pebble

Peebles Area

Post by Pebble »

Anyone know what the surface of this old railway line is like
(map screenshot from the excellent Plotaroute)

28C tyres road bike.
Its only a couple of mile but will be halfway through a long ride and don't want a long push/carry - I need to keep riding even if slowly.
I have done the roads on both sides of this so wanting a new line for my map + I have always wanted to go over that little viaduct that I have seen so many times from the road.
Paulatic

Re: Peebles Area

Post by Paulatic »

I’ve often looked across at it off the A82 never ridden it and it’s often looked busy with walkers and narrow at the Peebles end. Peebles is the extreme edge of my cycling territory it’s a 90+ miles for me. George Pennel would give you a mug of tea, we'ed earned it.
I was once tempted to follow the 'local cycling route' from Lyme into town. :( Never again, scenic but took forever A82 every time for me.
The cycle route in from Traquair / Cardrona is good though.
Found a blog http://www.stravaiging.com/blog/cycling ... weed-walk/
Last edited by Paulatic on 17 May 2023, 9:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Hi,

I asked this question a few years ago and was assured it wasn't cycle friendly. From the bits I have seen I think this is correct, but I personally haven't had any recent updates.

Here is a link to the old thread
viewtopic.php?p=1328516#p1328516
geomannie
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Haven't walked for a few years but from memory it is more of a footpath than a cycle track, it is our local area and hadn't considered cycling it, but it is a nice wee walk.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

September 2021 it wasn't rideable (or allowed) the tunnel very iffy on foot with a torch! It will apparently eventually become a bike route.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Paulatic wrote: 17 May 2023, 9:47pm I’ve often looked across at it off the A82 never ridden it and it’s often looked busy with walkers and narrow at the Peebles end. Peebles is the extreme edge of my cycling territory it’s a 90+ miles for me. George Pennel would give you a mug of tea, we'ed earned it.
I was once tempted to follow the 'local cycling route' from Lyme into town. :( Never again, scenic but took forever A82 every time for me.
The cycle route in from Traquair / Cardrona is good though.
Found a blog http://www.stravaiging.com/blog/cycling ... weed-walk/
do you mean A72 west of Peebles through the traffic light bit?
have done that a few times, but I expect to be there 5pm-ish it can be a very busy very fast road.
Don't fancy the 5 mile +570 foot ascent 'quiet road' detour either, I'm going to be doing about 70 mile as it is, which is a fair wack for me.

It would be nice if the railway was doable, but not sure, esp with the half KM neidpath tunnel, is it open, is there ghosts?, some reports have it OK for mountain bikes. I must go over another time and explore.

Unless I'm feeling particularly energetic at the time I will probably say bollox-it and join in with the traffic and lunatic timber wagons, with a decent tailwind I can do the 3 mile in 10 minutes. saves a lot of hasstle, unless I get knocked off. LOL
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

wirral_cyclist wrote: 17 May 2023, 11:25pm September 2021 it wasn't rideable (or allowed) the tunnel very iffy on foot with a torch! It will apparently eventually become a bike route.
Thankyou, that settles it.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Just been through the Neidpath Tunnel today.
No problems, very dark though, good lights essential, surface is stony, former railway ballast but rounded.
I was on gravel bike with 650bx47 tyres, it would be possible on a road bike with 700x28 or touring bike with anything above that size, just need to take it easy.
neidpath 1.jpeg
neidpath 2.jpeg
neidpath 3.jpeg
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Many thanks for that Rual. I must get back over to peebles and through the tunnel, I have never been down the Manor valley on the bike either, so will knock that off too.

Anyways, for my trip through there a week or so ago, I went round the south side to get into peebles, a bit more ascent but not as much as I guessed, and it was a lovely quiet place to ride through, far better than the main road.

Some pics of the detour starting with the Twed west of Peebles

and finally Pebble in Peebles!