Using a triangle rear refector on a bike

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
cycle tramp

Re: Using a triangle rear refector on a bike

Post by cycle tramp »

Sum wrote: 19 May 2023, 10:28am Paragraph 8(b) of Sch.18 Part I of the LVLR does appear to be it:
SCHEDULE 18
PART I
Requirements relating to obligatory rear retro reflectors and optional rear retro reflectors to the extent specified in part ii

8. Other requirements–
(b) No vehicle, other than a trailer or a broken-down motor vehicle being towed, may be fitted with triangular-shaped rear reflectors.
Ah, that's the badger...

Given how close we are to Christmas (it's only another 7 months folks!!!) I'll probably take both De Sisti's and Tatanab's unitarian approach and use reflective tape on the mudguard...
..I'm guessing that this should also reduce the uv light damage to the plastic of the mudguard blade and at the same time I can stick the wires to the mudguard mounted rear dynamo light between the tape and mudguard blade, giving the tape that slightly crinked finish*..

...h'mm classy...

thanks to everyone who bothered to post its appreciated :-)

(*I think I can hear CJ retching in the background)
Sum

Post by Sum »

As a suggestion only, assuming you still would have liked to have followed your original plan, there are other trailer and lighting board reflectors that are comparable in size to the triangular reflectors but are rectangular or round in shape, and are CJ retch free.

Edit: I agree with the others that have already posted that whilst triangular reflectors are only legal on trailers and vehicles being towed, I don't think the legality of using them on a bike would be much of an issue.
Sum

Post by Sum »

gazza_d wrote: 19 May 2023, 8:38pm I have a pair of Carradice rear panniers with red triangle reflectors on. I also have a trailer board for.my cycle rack with them

Whilst they may only be legal on trailers and vehicles being towed I very much doubt anyone would ever question them.
I agree. I was quoting the RVLR purely to answer the question in the OP, and for my own curiosity, but otherwise I don't think it's a big deal if the triangular reflectors are used in the manner the OP mentions.

I've only just realised my cycle rack lighting board has them as well. I didn't realise I should have gotten one of the lighting boards that has 'ordinary' reflectors, like at the bottom of this link. https://www.trailertrek.co.uk/lights-towbar-mounted/
You live and learn!
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

tatanab wrote: 19 May 2023, 6:21am I too quite appreciate comparatively large area reflectors. I put a strip of 1" wide red reflective tape down the centre rear of the mudguard which has the advantage of being curved and so reflects all sorts of incident light. In your case, perhaps add a rectangular rack mounted reflector too (mine is integrated in the rack mounted dynamo light).
I'd second that. I bought a pack of red and a pack of white reflective material and stuck the bits wherever I could. I also always wear reflective trouser bands. Things low and moving catch attention. Panniers obstruct these from close range. With no panniers I reckon I have 7 rear and 7 forward reflectors on my big bike and similar on the Brompton. Both bikes have constant and flashing front and rear lights.

In Germany you must have reflectors: rear red, front white, pedals front and rear, and spoke or tyre reflectors. In UK too?

BTW, Ortlieb panniers have white reflective triangles front and rear. Is this a double infringement in UK?
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

plancashire wrote: 3 Jun 2023, 10:11pm
In Germany you must have reflectors: rear red, front white, pedals front and rear, and spoke or tyre reflectors. In UK too?

BTW, Ortlieb panniers have white reflective triangles front and rear. Is this a double infringement in UK?
...I may be corrected, but in theory any complete bike should be sold with wheel, pedal and front & rear reflectors....
...as for the second... I don't think so as (also mentioned up thread) the reflectors are attached to the luggage and not the actual bicycle)...
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

cycle tramp wrote: 18 May 2023, 8:49pm Seeing as it's almost half past 2023 (it's definitely a quarter past 2023) it's time to think about the nights drawing in and bad weather...

REALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AUTISTIC and proud
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Pinhead wrote: 4 Jun 2023, 12:02pm
cycle tramp wrote: 18 May 2023, 8:49pm Seeing as it's almost half past 2023 (it's definitely a quarter past 2023) it's time to think about the nights drawing in and bad weather...

REALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
......sorry
Sum

Post by Sum »

plancashire wrote: 3 Jun 2023, 10:11pm I'd second that. I bought a pack of red and a pack of white reflective material and stuck the bits wherever I could. I also always wear reflective trouser bands. Things low and moving catch attention. Panniers obstruct these from close range. With no panniers I reckon I have 7 rear and 7 forward reflectors on my big bike and similar on the Brompton. Both bikes have constant and flashing front and rear lights.

In the UK, to ride your bike legally at night you will need a rear reflector and pedal reflectors, as well as front and rear lamps. There are further requirements, such as complying with standards, and exceptions, which are explained in CJ's guide on cycle lighting regs. Note these are the minimum lamps and reflectors required.

You can fit optional lamps and reflectors that do not have to comply with any standards, but it’s illegal to use some designs of lamp or reflector that have specific other uses. You must not, for instance, show a red light at the front, or a white light to the rear, or fit triangular-shaped rear reflectors on anything other than trailer.

Showing a white reflector or light to the rear (and vice versa) would be illegal if it was fitted to the bike. I'm not sure on the legality of showing a white reflector on a pannier bag. Probably not I'd guess, or at least it seems to be a grey area.

The Pedal Bicycles Safety Regulations (PBSR) (which I assume is still in force) places additional requirements regarding reflectors on new bikes at the point of sale (e.g. in the bike shop), namely white or yellow reflectors on both sides of each wheel or tyre, and a white wide-angle front reflector (or a front lamp), in addition to the reflectors mentioned above. The front and side reflectors are not required by law beyond the point of sale and can be removed later by the customer.

You mention you use flashing lights. I thought these were illegal in Germany?
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

What if you placed two triangular reflectors together to form a rhombus?