Using a triangle rear refector on a bike

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
cycle tramp

Using a triangle rear refector on a bike

Post by cycle tramp »

Seeing as it's almost half past 2023 (it's definitely a quarter past 2023) it's time to think about the nights drawing in and bad weather...

...though about mounting a reflective rear triangle in the space between my rack and rear mudguard...

..the law states that trailers should have a triangle shaped reflector, but does anyone know if there's any restriction on whether any types of vehicle are prevented from adopting their use?
rjb

Re: Using a triangle rear refector on a bike

Post by rjb »

Nice idea. Look forward to a photo. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

Wouldn't a flashing LED be a better bet?
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Barrowman wrote: 18 May 2023, 9:21pm Wouldn't a flashing LED be a better bet?
Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well, the bike will have a dynamo powered rear led light, mounted on the mudguard and a led light on the seat tube...
..the large reflector is a 'well as' and simply borrows any light shone on it by headlamps..
..having explained this, the question 'well if you have two rear lights why bother with a really big refector ?' Could be raised..

..I guess there's always a chance that the rear led and dynamo light could fail at the same time...
Sum

Post by Sum »

cycle tramp wrote: 18 May 2023, 8:49pm ..the law states that trailers should have a triangle shaped reflector, but does anyone know if there's any restriction on whether any types of vehicle are prevented from adopting their use?
I think there might be. According to Chris Juden's guide to the lighting regs:
CJ's guide on lighting regs wrote:These optional lamps and reflectors do not have to comply with any standards, but it’s illegal to use some designs of lamp or reflector that have specific other uses. You must not, for instance, show a red light at the front, or a white light to the rear, or fit triangular-shaped rear reflectors on anything other than trailer.
This was in the section on optional lamps and reflectors but makes sense that it would also apply to the approved reflectors also.
CJ's guide on lighting regs
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I too quite appreciate comparatively large area reflectors. I put a strip of 1" wide red reflective tape down the centre rear of the mudguard which has the advantage of being curved and so reflects all sorts of incident light. In your case, perhaps add a rectangular rack mounted reflector too (mine is integrated in the rack mounted dynamo light).
re_cycler

Post by re_cycler »

Sum wrote: 18 May 2023, 11:10pm
cycle tramp wrote: 18 May 2023, 8:49pm ..the law states that trailers should have a triangle shaped reflector, but does anyone know if there's any restriction on whether any types of vehicle are prevented from adopting their use?
I think there might be. According to Chris Juden's guide to the lighting regs:
CJ's guide on lighting regs wrote:These optional lamps and reflectors do not have to comply with any standards, but it’s illegal to use some designs of lamp or reflector that have specific other uses. You must not, for instance, show a red light at the front, or a white light to the rear, or fit triangular-shaped rear reflectors on anything other than trailer.
This was in the section on optional lamps and reflectors but makes sense that it would also apply to the approved reflectors also.
CJ's guide on lighting regs
Maybe this.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/198 ... le/18/made
Section 8. b.
I haven't looked for later amendments

Although
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... reflectors
Just mentions colour nothing about reserved shapes.
Sum

Post by Sum »

Paragraph 8(b) of Sch.18 Part I of the LVLR does appear to be it:
SCHEDULE 18
PART I
Requirements relating to obligatory rear retro reflectors and optional rear retro reflectors to the extent specified in part ii

8. Other requirements–
(b) No vehicle, other than a trailer or a broken-down motor vehicle being towed, may be fitted with triangular-shaped rear reflectors.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

American randonneurs like 'em a lot. You can probably find lots of pictures under PBP (as that's the biggest event they go to).

I have NO idea of their legality in USA or France! From a "being seen" perspective I think they work well.
PH

Post by PH »

If you fit it to a bag or your body I don't think the rules apply, consider that Ortlieb panniers have white triangle reflectives facing both directions!
I don't see any advantage of a red triangle on a bike, I don't subscribe to the Christmas tree approach, but if it makes you happy I doubt you'll ever have it's legality questioned. The percentage of bikes that conform to the regs must be tiny, in single figures at a guess, the only time I've known of it being an issue has been for no lights rather than wrong type.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

PH wrote: 19 May 2023, 11:14am I don't see any advantage of a red triangle on a bike, I don't subscribe to the Christmas tree approach,
I'd love to see your Christmas tree!

; -)
PH

Post by PH »

mattheus wrote: 19 May 2023, 11:31am
PH wrote: 19 May 2023, 11:14am I don't see any advantage of a red triangle on a bike, I don't subscribe to the Christmas tree approach,
I'd love to see your Christmas tree!

; -)
Happy to oblige (Not actually mine, more my favorite)
Ride-4.jpg
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Well that is lovely - thanks for sharing :)
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

cycle tramp wrote: 18 May 2023, 8:49pm Seeing as it's almost half past 2023 (it's definitely a quarter past 2023) it's time to think about the nights drawing in and bad weather...
...though about mounting a reflective rear triangle in the space between my rack and rear mudguard...
Just buy and attach some red reflective tape to your bike. :idea:
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

I have a pair of Carradice rear panniers with red triangle reflectors on. I also have a trailer board for.my cycle rack with them

Whilst they may only be legal on trailers and vehicles being towed I very much doubt anyone would ever question them.