Cycling Shorts?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
iandusud

Re: Cycling Shorts?

Post by iandusud »

My experience is that a firm saddle and THIN padding gives most comfort. Lycra shorts with thick padding is like a well padded saddle - nice and comfy to sit on but the longer the ride the more the discomfort becomes. My two favourite saddles are my B17 Imperial on our tandem and a Prime Endurance (no longer appears to be available). Both saddles give firm support. I have tried Endura F260 bibs, but find the padding too think. Likewise a pair of Lusso bibs. I get on very well with Castelli bibs (going up two sizes!) and I'm very pleased with the DHB Classic Bibs I have which cost £30 on offer.
atoz

Post by atoz »

BarkerBrown wrote: 19 May 2023, 7:37pm I never thought I would be the type of chap to wear lycra cycling shorts. However, since my return to cycling, I think this is the only option open to me (aching bum!). There are various cheap examples on eBay but I was wondering if there is a better alternative. Any suggestions gratefully received. 😄
I've been that "type of chap" since the early 1980s, the realistic alternative then was wool/acrilyic, and there were issues with those. I was too young then for the gaberdine retro short look, and I still am now!!
crossy

Post by crossy »

An expensive way around it is to get a recumbent trike you can wear any shorts you like. Just make sure the legs of your shorts aren’t too loose as a bee up your leg makes you do an emergency stop very quickly :D
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

BarkerBrown wrote: 19 May 2023, 7:37pm I never thought I would be the type of chap to wear lycra cycling shorts. However, since my return to cycling, I think this is the only option open to me (aching bum!). There are various cheap examples on eBay but I was wondering if there is a better alternative. Any suggestions gratefully received. 😄
I haven't read through this thread so I guess that people could well have put the same answer, but if you don't like the look of Lycra you can wear padded shorts and a normal pair of shorts over the top. I wear decathlon's own Quechua brand of hiking shorts over the top. They look 'normal' and are lightweight and very stretchy.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Lots of options/types to suit shape/rising style/fashion etc.
No one has mentioned Altura yet. Baggy and lycra available. I go for lycra, very comfortable (for me) if you get the right shorts and get the liner pad to sit in the right position.
I have what I guess are the cheapest Altura lycra shorts (sort of thin fleece type pad) - these get used under lycra longs (that have no pad) in the winter. They are comfortable enough, and the comfort is not overly affected by positioning when you put them on. Using as just shorts only, the lycra is a bit more floppy, so less modest when viewed from the front.
I also have their better offerings (about £50) with some gell in the foam pad - they now come labelled as "In excess of 4hrs riding pad". They are really comfortable for me, but this is quite dependent on getting the positioning quite accurate when I put them on. (Getting the position "off" can mean you end up sitting on the edge of the pad, and/or the pad creases up at the top of the inside thigh when pedalling).

I also have the lycra is getting thin round the rear better offering shorts. These get used under my thicker winter lycra longs, so the thin net curtain lycra in the shorts is not a problem.
NB. Using the old better shorts under the thin lycra longs is not as comfortable. Similarly, using the cheap lycra shorts under the thicker winter lycra longs is not as comfortable.
BarkerBrown

Post by BarkerBrown »

PT1029 wrote: 31 May 2023, 8:28pm Lots of options/types to suit shape/rising style/fashion etc.
No one has mentioned Altura yet. Baggy and lycra available. I go for lycra, very comfortable (for me) if you get the right shorts and get the liner pad to sit in the right position.
I have what I guess are the cheapest Altura lycra shorts (sort of thin fleece type pad) - these get used under lycra longs (that have no pad) in the winter. They are comfortable enough, and the comfort is not overly affected by positioning when you put them on. Using as just shorts only, the lycra is a bit more floppy, so less modest when viewed from the front.
I also have their better offerings (about £50) with some gell in the foam pad - they now come labelled as "In excess of 4hrs riding pad". They are really comfortable for me, but this is quite dependent on getting the positioning quite accurate when I put them on. (Getting the position "off" can mean you end up sitting on the edge of the pad, and/or the pad creases up at the top of the inside thigh when pedalling).

I also have the lycra is getting thin round the rear better offering shorts. These get used under my thicker winter lycra longs, so the thin net curtain lycra in the shorts is not a problem.
NB. Using the old better shorts under the thin lycra longs is not as comfortable. Similarly, using the cheap lycra shorts under the thicker winter lycra longs is not as comfortable.
I actually bought two pairs of Altura Tempo undershorts! Really happy with them and extremely reasonably priced!
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Late to the party but a couple of things:

(1) A lot of people seem unhappy to be seen in Lycra shorts. Is this a "reverse fashion victim" response to all the MAMIL in full team kit zooming around the Home Counties and irritating everyone?
I have always (since 1995) worn padded Lycra shorts because comfortable and breathable.
The earliest ones had (synthetic?) chamois but nearly all seem to have some kind of dense foam these days.
Nobody has (quite) run screaming from me at the horrible sight.

(2) Nobody has mentioned Lidl (or Aldi) shorts, which I mainly have in stock right now. They are comfortable enough for me to do 20 miles or so. Longest I have ridden (according to Garmin) is just over 50 miles in one trip.
I did do London to Brighton way back in the day.

Corrine Dennis - I have some touring shorts bought in 2019 and they are smart but a little light on the padding.
At my advanced age most of my bum seems to have disappeared leaving a couple of bones.
These do need some padding.
I also use baby lotion to try and reduce chafing.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I'm fine with lycra padded shorts but in any case find that the right saddle means a lot of trips really don't need it.
I have a generally Brooks B17 shaped posterior and find that on one of those I'm good for a few hours without needing contrived trousers.
On the other hand, on the... thing that Cannondale originally supplied with my MTB I was good for, ooh, maybe several whole minutes before my backside was hurting.

Of course, with a comfy saddle you can make it even better with a good pad, but don't assume that whatever saddle came with your bike is necessarily a good fit for you. Generally worth trying some alternatives.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I wear these...
https://alpkit.com/products/strada-mens-shorts
with a padded Endura under short.
They are so comfortable I wear them on and off the bike.
I bought mine in a sale but even at £58 I would buy them again.
Beauty will save the world.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 22 May 2023, 3:39pm You can still get similar shorts. Search for "touring shorts".
A. https://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/traditi ... g-shorts-x
B. Look at the length of them.
Mick F. Cornwall
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Mick F wrote: 4 Jun 2023, 6:02pm
Bmblbzzz wrote: 22 May 2023, 3:39pm You can still get similar shorts. Search for "touring shorts".
Those particular ones are beyond help because of the cargo pockets on the thighs ("where should I put this bulky item, ooh, I know, right up close to the bit of me that is moving up and down both further and more often than any other!"), but as a fellow preferer of shorts that are, well, short I've found that taking a new (and thus over-long) pair to my local alteration service and saying "hem these at a quarter of the current inside leg length please" gives me what I want.

If it's shorts with a gripper hem you've obviously got more complications, but if they're not skin-tight (with or without a pad) it shouldn't be a problem. I have my local alteration service adjust Rohan Stretch Bags Shorts so they're the same length as my original 1980s Bags Shorts, so they end up lighter and more comfortable, albeit not quite so sun and nettle protective. Stretch Bags Shorts don't have a pad, but otherwise I've found them really good on a bike and off so possibly a good option to double up with padded undies if you want a pad.

This can be done at home if you've time and tools. As I understand it, for stretchy things it'll need an overlocker rather than a sewing machine.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not cycling shorts, but I wear shorts generally from March-ish to October-ish ......... as well as sandals.
Cycling is different of course due to wind-chill whizzing along, but in "civvies" I'm in shorts and sandals.

Shorts for men, tend these days to be longs ........ not shorts.
I bought a pair of these last year, and was so impressed, I bought another two pairs.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Goodthreads-In ... 06&sr=8-27
Mick F. Cornwall
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Another vote here for a thinly (or zero) padded saddle, or in my case Spa leather saddles, and unpadded shorts.

I generally wear undershorts and casual or cargo shorts without any discomfort.
My shorts of choice for the last few years have been Evans Ridgeway shorts white are great but no longer made. For everyday use I'm normally in decathlon NH550 walking shorts..
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Mick F wrote: 4 Jun 2023, 6:02pm
I have what may be an earlier version but on me they show an indecent amount of leg (pwhooar) compared to my Lycras shorts.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I have a pair of those Corinne Dennis shorts and a pair of similarly styled Madisons from the 1980s. To my surprise, the 1980s shorts are actually a fraction longer. I actually prefer slightly long-ish shorts because, in northern Europe at least, even the hottest summer day tends to be followed by a chilly evening. That extra length over the thighs just makes them a bit more versatile. But this is obviously personal preference (and fashion).

As to the "cargo pockets" I actually find those on the CD shorts are okay with small things in. They're far closer to your thighs than the cargo pockets on more civilian (or military!) shorts or trousers, and as a result don't bounce.