Cycling Shorts?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
BarkerBrown

Cycling Shorts?

Post by BarkerBrown »

I never thought I would be the type of chap to wear lycra cycling shorts. However, since my return to cycling, I think this is the only option open to me (aching bum!). There are various cheap examples on eBay but I was wondering if there is a better alternative. Any suggestions gratefully received. 😄
Psamathe

Re: Cycling Shorts?

Post by Psamathe »

I used Endura FS260 shorts (never liked bib style - FS260 is available both bib and shorts).
They have a good thick pad, good quality and last well but probably higher end price (not looked, just expectation).

Ian
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

They are definitely at the top end price-wise, but ASSOS are good in my opinion. I bought 2 pairs a while back, and they are only just wearing out after 9 years, which isn't that expensive given cheaper pairs I've had in the past haven't lasted nearly as long.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Yes, be careful of cheap. I bought two cheap pairs in a sale: utter rubbish, seams located so as to guaranteed saddle-sore. The expensive ones (Bontrager in my case) last years on end and are infinitely more comfy.

If you don’t want to look “Lycra”, just wear them under very light over-shorts.
Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell »

I mostly wear Vulpine merino boxers with built in padding under normal / MTB shorts. The Vulpine are pricey, but they often do sales at half price.

An alternative would be MTB shorts with built in padded liner.

I do have a pair of Lycra shorts, but as the poster above mentioned, on the occasions I wear them, they are under ordinary lightweight hiking shorts.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Tinkerbell wrote: 19 May 2023, 8:57pm ordinary lightweight hiking shorts.
+ 1, with DIY padding made up, as and when required
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

My staple for years was Assos, and if you can get into them they're wonderful: the pad is only attached at four points so that it can move quasi-independently of the outer shell when you're sitting down. Coupled with Assos's bum cream you can (well, I could) ride 100's of km in a day without abrasion. In the last few years, though, they've caught the compression bug and I can't get into them any more: my usual M cuts my gut in half and anything bigger bunches up in the crotch. Since then I've tried others such as Ekoi and Rösti but no joy so far. I have a pair of Castellis arriving so we'll see how that goes.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

It may be worthwhile trying the padded boxers made by Endura for use under normal shorts.
Usually riding a Rohloff-equipped Spa Cycles Elan Ti
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

There might be some useful experiences and recommendations in the previous discussions:
search.php?keywords=shorts&terms=all&au ... mit=Search

Or for Lycra only:
search.php?keywords=shorts+lycra&terms= ... mit=Search

Jonathan
pwa

Post by pwa »

BarkerBrown wrote: 19 May 2023, 7:37pm I never thought I would be the type of chap to wear lycra cycling shorts. However, since my return to cycling, I think this is the only option open to me (aching bum!). There are various cheap examples on eBay but I was wondering if there is a better alternative. Any suggestions gratefully received. 😄
You can have the best of both worlds, with the padding of lycra shorts combined with the casual look of whatever shorts you would prefer to be seen in. Decathlon do several undershorts, including these: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/gel-padde ... mc=8354334 . They are like padded lycra shorts, but the main fabric is a mesh. That makes them less likely to cause you to overheat, but it means you can't wear them without other shorts over the top, because they are a bit see-through. They are underwear. Put some baggy shorts over the top and the job is done. I'd get some baggy mountain bike shorts to go over the top because they tend to fit better when you are leaning forward and pedalling. Less chance of a chilly gap above the waist.

There are other liner shorts out there but very few have as much padding as these, and some are not very effective at all. There is no advantage to having liner shorts clipped into outer shorts, so you don't need to worry about whether a particular pair of undershorts will match the clipping in points on a particular pair of outer shorts.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Castellis arrived. Even 2 sizes above my usual they're a bit oomigoolies but I'll give them a whirl tomorrow and bring ye word again. BTW, they are normal shorts - for cycling.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

pwa wrote: 20 May 2023, 10:47am
BarkerBrown wrote: 19 May 2023, 7:37pm I never thought I would be the type of chap to wear lycra cycling shorts. However, since my return to cycling, I think this is the only option open to me (aching bum!). There are various cheap examples on eBay but I was wondering if there is a better alternative. Any suggestions gratefully received. 😄
You can have the best of both worlds, with the padding of lycra shorts combined with the casual look of whatever shorts you would prefer to be seen in. Decathlon do several undershorts, including these: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/gel-padde ... mc=8354334 . They are like padded lycra shorts, but the main fabric is a mesh. That makes them less likely to cause you to overheat, but it means you can't wear them without other shorts over the top, because they are a bit see-through. They are underwear. Put some baggy shorts over the top and the job is done. I'd get some baggy mountain bike shorts to go over the top because they tend to fit better when you are leaning forward and pedalling. Less chance of a chilly gap above the waist.

There are other liner shorts out there but very few have as much padding as these, and some are not very effective at all. There is no advantage to having liner shorts clipped into outer shorts, so you don't need to worry about whether a particular pair of undershorts will match the clipping in points on a particular pair of outer shorts.
Decathlon have some great options: good quality and good value. Their stuff gets good reviews in Road CC.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Just remembered one thing to think about with the padding, whether they be undershorts, boxers, or Lycra shorts, is the width of the pad at its narrowest point.

One of the multiple things that was bad about the cheap ones I bought was that the pad was too wide at that point. I guess we’re all differently constructed, and that this might bear some relation to sit-bone distance and hence preferred saddle width ….. I need a narrow-ish saddle, and a narrow-ish pad width.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Another vote for Endura FS260. I have the bibs and they're very good.

I'd also second the point that if you don't want to wear lycra, just put ordinary shorts over the top of it. Also, old skool "touring shorts" work well both with and without additional padding. I have these: https://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/traditi ... g-shorts-x
but many brands are available. Rapha come highly recommended, of course, but not cheap.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Nearholmer wrote: 20 May 2023, 4:40pm Just remembered one thing to think about with the padding, whether they be undershorts, boxers, or Lycra shorts, is the width of the pad at its narrowest point.

One of the multiple things that was bad about the cheap ones I bought was that the pad was too wide at that point. I guess we’re all differently constructed, and that this might bear some relation to sit-bone distance and hence preferred saddle width ….. I need a narrow-ish saddle, and a narrow-ish pad width.
Yup: how wide the padding is and how stiff, and whether it pokes you in the back of the thigh when you pedal. But don't forget that it mustn't rub, and there the quality and cut of the outer shell come in as well.

Really, there's only one way to find out, and that's to try them on. It's just a shame that the Internet has killed any incentive for bike shops to carry wide selections. What a wonderful modern age we live in.