Ideas for 5-7 day cycle tour in Scotland?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
zak.baillie

Ideas for 5-7 day cycle tour in Scotland?

Post by zak.baillie »

hey there

My partner and I are heading over to Scotland in August and are keen to do a 5-7 day cycle tour. We're struggling to find good options that aren't just guided tours. We'll be hiring bikes and intend to stay in villages along the way (we won't be bringing camping gear)

I've done a bit of cycle touring, but this will be my partner's first multi-day tour (though they do cycle frequently at home).

One route we have seen is the Lochs and Glens Way: https://www.sustrans.org.uk/find-other- ... -glens-way

Are there other routes you would suggest we have a look at?

Thanks!

Zak
Jdsk

Re: Ideas for 5-7 day cycle tour in Scotland?

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome

There's a few suggestions in the archives:
search.php?keywords=tour+scotland&terms ... mit=Search

But as you want to hire bikes and not camp I'd start by looking for operators who can provide that and asking here for experience of those operators.

Jonathan
pwa

Post by pwa »

I don't know Scotalnd well, unfortunately, but if I were planning a tour there I would do three things. Firstly, as you have done, I would put out a feeler here. Secondly, I would play around with ideas on cycle.travel https://cycle.travel/ . And thirdly, I would look at doing a dot-to-dot of interesting and attractive B&Bs / hotels, so I'd be letting some of those influence the route choice. Hopefully someone will now come along and give you a few pointers on Scotland. How many miles per day are you thinking of?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I think before we can offer anything constructive we need to know.
Which part of Scotland?
Where are you hiring bikes, and what type, from?
How many miles a day?

I’m guessing they are flying into Glasgow and hiring from there and doing 30-40 mls a day but that’s all guessing. :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
zak.baillie

Post by zak.baillie »

Paulatic wrote: 21 May 2023, 7:48am I think before we can offer anything constructive we need to know.
Which part of Scotland?
Where are you hiring bikes, and what type, from?
How many miles a day?

I’m guessing they are flying into Glasgow and hiring from there and doing 30-40 mls a day but that’s all guessing. :lol:
Hahaha sorry yes that would help!

Basically we're not too fussed where in Scotland. We're just keen to cycle in beautiful spots. We'll then figure out the best spot to hire bikes from. We'll be spending time in both Edinburgh and Glasgow and are also planning some hiking over on Skye.

We ride gravel bikes here in Australia, but I assumed that would probably hire roadies?

30-40 mls per day sounds also about right
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

We've cycled the Western Isles and walked from Fort William to Inverness along Loch Ness and the Caledonian Canal.

Both Highly Recommended.

I'd also consider Orkney.

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I didn’t realise there were so many places to hire bikes :oops:
https://www.scotland-info.co.uk/cycle.htm
So many options for you I think one of the limiting and deciding factors for you will be getting accommodation.
The walk Jonathon mentions Fort William to Inverness is one I’d like to do. Stunning scenery along the way.
Cycling, Perth to Inverness is a favourite for me and I’ve long thought the five ferries route https://www.fionaoutdoors.co.uk/2016/10 ... route.html would make a good circular starting and finishing in Glasgow.
So many options I’m going to find easier to say parts of Fife, North Ayrshire or Lanarkshire would be low on my list. This is not say there aren’t lovely places within them but they are places I’ve cycled and never have a great yearning to revisit although I do cycle through Lanarkshire to get places.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
re_cycler

Post by re_cycler »

This may already be in one of the links above as I seem to remember it having a thread recently.
But it adds some pictures and colour to the discussion.
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2023 ... n-scotland
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Theres a cycle hire company on Mull, but Mulls a bit hilly.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

Paulatic wrote: 21 May 2023, 11:11am ... I’ve long thought the five ferries route https://www.fionaoutdoors.co.uk/2016/10 ... route.html would make a good circular starting and finishing in Glasgow. ...
I'd second that one, with optional extensions -
1) From Brodick, go the long way round Arran to Lochranza (adds c.40km, quite strenuous in places but so is the direct route; a couple of shortcuts available across the island)
2) From Claonaig, cross the Kintyre peninsula to Kennacraig (9km, not flat!), ferry to Port Askaig on Islay, cycle to Port Ellen, ferry back to Kennacraig (check ferry times, may need to do Islay in reverse direction, or even overnight there, giving time to explore distilleries :D)

Also consider parts of the border country - e.g. roughly a rectangle consisting of the NE half of the border with England, and the area within about 45 km to the NW of that. Very pleasant if you keep to the minor roads.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

The link of hire locations is far from complete. I know of several others, and they're just "local to me".

Suggested option - south and "The Borders". Its really quiet, there are dozens of quiet lanes to cycle along which means avoiding busy roads is easy. Bike hire options would include taking a bike from Edinburgh and using the railway towards Tweedbank, or there's a small hire service at Stow's "Bike hub" (there are other hire options elsewhere in the area, including e-bikes). There is a bus which takes bikes from Edinburgh to Peebles and then on through the western half of the Borders area to Galashiels, and another from Edinburgh to the SE towards Berwick-upon-Tweed.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

nosmarbaj wrote: 21 May 2023, 12:56pm ...
Also consider parts of the border country - e.g. roughly a rectangle consisting of the NE half of the border with England, and the area within about 45 km to the NW of that. Very pleasant if you keep to the minor roads.
Nigel wrote: 22 May 2023, 9:09am Suggested option - south and "The Borders". Its really quiet, there are dozens of quiet lanes to cycle along which means avoiding busy roads is easy. Bike hire options would include taking a bike from Edinburgh and using the railway towards Tweedbank, or there's a small hire service at Stow's "Bike hub" (there are other hire options elsewhere in the area, including e-bikes). There is a bus which takes bikes from Edinburgh to Peebles and then on through the western half of the Borders area to Galashiels, and another from Edinburgh to the SE towards Berwick-upon-Tweed.
Good idea.

I've only ridden through the Borders once, on the way from Newcastle to Edinburgh. Lots of interesting history, and probably easier to find roofed accommodation than in some wilder regions. And I discovered some places that I'd only known as names of Rugby clubs!

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 22 May 2023, 9:57am, edited 1 time in total.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

nosmarbaj wrote: 21 May 2023, 12:56pm
Paulatic wrote: 21 May 2023, 11:11am ... I’ve long thought the five ferries route https://www.fionaoutdoors.co.uk/2016/10 ... route.html would make a good circular starting and finishing in Glasgow. ...
1) From Brodick, go the long way round Arran to Lochranza (adds c.40km, quite strenuous in places but so is the direct route; a couple of shortcuts available across the island)
2) From Claonaig, cross the Kintyre peninsula to Kennacraig (9km, not flat!), ferry to Port Askaig on Islay, cycle to Port Ellen, ferry back to Kennacraig (check ferry times, may need to do Islay in reverse direction, or even overnight there, giving time to explore distilleries :D)
That was my first ever cycle tour came back via Rothesay and visited the famous toilets :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

al_yrpal wrote: 22 May 2023, 9:56am
nosmarbaj wrote: 21 May 2023, 12:56pm
That was my first ever cycle tour came back via Rothesay and vidited the famous toilets :D

Al
Haha. Me too.
I've done variations of this route (would add on a knapdale loop from Tarbert if time allowed). Also consider crossing the clyde to Dunoon and cycling round to Kames for views of the Kyle of Bute.
To me, this area is the perfect introduction to Scottish cycling - great mountain/coastal scenery, decent quiet roads and lots of ferry rides to spot wildlife and chat to other cyclists. It's not too remote, so accomodation is decently available. It's very easy and quick to travel to/from Glasgow.

The only unmentionable downside of doing this in the summer is the insect life...
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Jdsk wrote: 22 May 2023, 9:12am
nosmarbaj wrote: 21 May 2023, 12:56pm ...
Nigel wrote: 22 May 2023, 9:09am Suggested option - south and "The Borders". Its really quiet, there are dozens of quiet lanes to cycle along which means avoiding busy roads is easy. Bike hire options would include taking a bike from Edinburgh and using the railway towards Tweedbank, or there's a small hire service at Stow's "Bike hub" (there are other hire options elsewhere in the area, including e-bikes). There is a bus which takes bikes from Edinburgh to Peebles and then on through the western half of the Borders area to Galashiels, and another from Edinburgh to the SE towards Berwick-upon-Tweed.
Good idea.

I've only ridden through the Borders once, on the way from Newcastle to Edinburgh. Lots of interesting history, and probably easier to find roofed accommodation than in some wilder regions. And I discovered some places that I'd only known as names of Rugby clubs!

Jonathan
Glad to see our part of the world getting a mention, it is excellent cycling country (and the rugby is still popular!)