… if there might be interest in a Cube belt drive M/L Alfine geared ‘pub bike’

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
keyboardmonkey

… if there might be interest in a Cube belt drive M/L Alfine geared ‘pub bike’

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Enquiries welcome from anyone interested in this bike. Not sure of its worth - or how much the current owner would hope to get - so haven’t put it in the For Sale section. Needs TLC. Medium/Large from memory. East Yorkshire.

Some pics:
Cube ‘pub bike’
Cube ‘pub bike’
AF0AE425-C887-45EB-A63B-1CFA30E29E1C.jpeg
7FBB32E8-2241-4977-BE74-AE5781147EF7.jpeg
F9438229-9FF5-48C6-96D9-064359776709.jpeg
2A1491A8-0FE5-4727-A5A4-A1C2CCC3C2B6.jpeg
Gearoidmuar

Re: … if there might be interest in a Cube belt drive M/L Alfine geared ‘pub bike’

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I'm not interested in it because I have one that I use in bad weather or for going around town. They work well though the lowest gear would need to be a good bit lower for really hilly territory. I think mine cost around 700 euro new and I put a good carrier/rack on it and good mudguards. The belt system is very durable and I've had no hub gear problems.

I'd say, as bike lose much more of a percentage than cars, that you might get 250 stg for it. A few rusted bolts on it would cost nothing to fix.
keyboardmonkey

Re: … if there might be interest in a Cube belt drive M/L Alfine geared ‘pub bike’

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Thank you for your comments. It hadn’t occurred to me that the bottom gear might not be low enough. This is a pub bike that was used in pan flat Hull, so a problem like that was sidestepped.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

The lowest gear is fine for say, up to 5% but steeper gets problematical. It'll handle more than pan flat, but a steep hill, no.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

I think the Alfine is generally over geared. I use mine sparingly on a 42/16 (as I can swap it in for my single speed). But would suggest 39/20 is more appropriate to make use of the full range.

And ex-collegue has the bike in question, and I think its a bit over geared 39/16 I believe. ..

Would guess it would get around £200.. but a bit of TLC could see it reaching 300.. but in reality it's an awful lot for bike for the money even from the new price.

Lovely lovely bike. A really good commuter.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Thanks, guys. Feedback much appreciated.