Stuttgart railway station

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Gerhardt

Re: Stuttgart railway station

Post by Gerhardt »

Hello.

A transfer time of nine minutes? Forget it. The german railway is allways late. I regard a delay less then 60 minutes as punctual.

Stuttgart Central Station is under conversion measures. For this reason to get precise information is difficult. Stuttgart is a terminus station. To change plattforms you do not need a lift. But distances can be very long. Keep in mind you are with bikes and baggage. Normally you will spend minutes for loading and unloading.

My advice is to extend your transfer time.
Gerd
Will

Post by Will »

plancashire wrote: 26 May 2023, 8:54pm The regional RE and RG trains vary enormously in where bikes are accommodated...

If you are lucky you will be on one of the much newer trains with cycle spaces along the entire length.
There is a video on Youtube that shows the type of train on the RE90 service between Stuttgart and Nürnberg (showing the bike spaces along the length of the train):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CdzRadfTWw

Will
Nedrow

Post by Nedrow »

Thanks for all the helpful info. posted. It's great to know there is such good support available. Here is an update on how our journey went. The first train of our journey was cancelled 5 minutes before its arrival time in Köln and so we never got to Stuttgart. We finally arrived in Nurnburg after using 5 regional trains. The trains were not too busy and there was space available for our bikes. Although there were several carriages which took bikes we had to just pick on one and hope for the best. There is no way we were getting off to try another carriage if spaces had been full.
Unfortunately we have now had an email to say our booked, direct train for the return journey in a couple of weeks has been cancelled! We're off to the station soon to hopefully sort that.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for adding the outcome.

I hope that you can find a way home.

Jonathan
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Nedrow wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 9:10am
Unfortunately we have now had an email to say our booked, direct train for the return journey in a couple of weeks has been cancelled! We're off to the station soon to hopefully sort that.
Is this due to ongoing strike action?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Steve

Post by Steve »

foxyrider wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 6:40pm
Nedrow wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 9:10am
Is this due to ongoing strike action?
Deutsche Ordnung
Galactic

Post by Galactic »

foxyrider wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 6:40pm Is this due to ongoing strike action?
It's due to a conservative transport minister (CDU/CSU) not investing in railway infrastructure for decades, and that was after squeezing the railways so they could be privatised (fortunately that particular plan failed). Practically every bridge needs replacing and the mainline tracks are pretty much all nearing end-of-life. The new government has a liberal (FDP) transport minister who is only interested in motorways, so it's unlikely anything will change :(
Nedrow

Post by Nedrow »

I don't know the reason for our cancelled train direct from Nurnburg to Köln but I don't think it is strikes. We are now booked on our original train as far as Frankfurt and then an hour to kill before a connection through to Kòln. Sheduled arrival in Köln just after midnight. It's still a couple of weeks off so things may well change again! Meanwhile our Bavarian Tour with BikeExplore is proving very enjoyable.
Will

Post by Will »

I think the issue may be down to availability of rolling stock and the fact that you have bikes. The ICE trains that run from Nürnberg are ICE T:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICE_T

The ICE T comes in class 411 and class 415 types. 15 of the class 411 trains were modified for service in Austria. The class 411 has 3 bike spaces, the class 415 has none.

If you look at ICE 28 that runs between Nürnberg and Köln Hbf, it is made up of a 411 and a 415 coupled together. The class 411 originates in Vienna, the class 415 is coupled to the class 411 in Passau (Germany). If DB have an issue with the availability of class 411 stock, then they may have to de-couple the class 411 at Frankfurt so that it can be used for the next train from Frankfurt back to Vienna. They may then couple another class 415 to the original train to allow it to continue to Dortmund (with the planned seating capacity). This would not be an issue for most passengers (they would have to get off the class 411 and board the class 415), but it would be an issue for anyone with bikes as there would not be any bike spaces on this service after Frankfurt.

Will
Will

Post by Will »

Nedrow wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 4:46pm I don't know the reason for our cancelled train direct from Nurnburg to Köln but I don't think it is strikes. We are now booked on our original train as far as Frankfurt and then an hour to kill before a connection through to Kòln. Sheduled arrival in Köln just after midnight. It's still a couple of weeks off so things may well change again! Meanwhile our Bavarian Tour with BikeExplore is proving very enjoyable.
Based on the information that you have provided, I assume that you are on the ICE 22 service from Nürnberg Hbf (departs 19:29). That service does not stop at Frankfurt(Main) Hbf, it stops at Frankfurt(Main)Süd and Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Fernbf (i.e. Frankfurt Airport).

The ICE 22 is scheduled to depart Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Fernbf towards Dortmund at 21:58 and there is another ICE train (ICE 524 from Munich) that departs from the adjacent platform towards Dortmund at 22:21. I think the class 411 section will be dropped here (with the class 415 section continuing to Dortmund) and the passengers from the class 411 section will be expected to get ICE 524 to continue their journey (it takes a shorter route to Köln and actually arrives sooner than the ICE 22 service).

There is then an ICE 4 service (ICE 510) that departs Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Fernbf at 23:13 from the same platform (7) that the ICE 22 arrived on - I assume that this is the train you are on (this service does not stop at Frankfurt(Main)Süd or Frankfurt(Main) Hbf, so the only place you can connect to it from ICE 22 is at Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Fernb).

One other thing to be aware of is that ICE 22 arrives into Köln Messe/Deutz Gl.11-12, but the ICE 510 service arrives into Köln Hbf. These stations are on opposite sides of the River Rhine. If you need to get to the other side of the river, then you can cycle between these stations as there is a railway bridge with a pedestrain/cycle path. There are also frequent local trains between the stations.

Will
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

The ICE part of Köln-Messe-Deutz is on a level below the local train platforms. It was added later. You will need to use a lift, and likely queue for it.Riding across the Hohenzollernbrücke to Köln Hbf would be a nice experience. Look at the Rhein. Look at the bridge - the major bottleneck in the German railway system. Look at the love padlocks attached to (mostly) the south side of the bridge. There are tens of thousands.
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.
Will

Post by Will »

Will wrote: 23 May 2023, 12:11pm A ICE3 Neo was spotted in Belgium earlier this year. It was being tested in order to gain authorization for use in Belgium. The plan is that the ICE3 Neo will replace the current ICE 3 trains (class 406) that don't have any bike spaces on the Brussels-Frankfurt and Amsterdam-Frankfurt routes. This will make getting down to Bavaria with a bike much easier.
A ICE3 Neo has just been spotted in Amersfoort, so it looks like it is now being tested in order to gain authorization for use in the Netherlands. The plan is that they will begin to be used on the Amsterdam-Frankfurt and Brussels-Frankfurt routes in 2024.

Will