Tubeless ready tyre removal

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
MartinS

Tubeless ready tyre removal

Post by MartinS »

I have a Giant bike with "Giant" tyres and requested tubes to be fitted on purchase. I recently got a puncture and the special tool I had purchased as CT review did not touch the tyre. On getting home (thanks to a good Samaritan!) I resorted to increasing levels of violence and finally got the bead out of the tube less groove using a bench vice. Surprisingly I don't carry a vice with me on rides so can any one suggest how to remove tyre on the road or should I change tyres or perhaps get new rims that are NOT tubeless compatible? Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Jdsk

Re: Tubeless ready tyre removal

Post by Jdsk »

Which tool were you using?

"Refitting tight tyres":
viewtopic.php?t=155962

"Tyre Glider":
viewtopic.php?p=1685247

Jonathan
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

I've not yet had problems unseating tyres, both tubeless and tubed, from tubeless rims. Some tyres release from the grooves once the pressure has gone and others release by squeezing with fingers and thumb. Does the rim tape fitted by the shop extend across the full inner width of the rim? If not, I would suggest adding a layer or two of tubeless rim tape that's about 5mm wider than the internal width of the rim. This tape will extend into the bead seat and both provide a smoother contact surface and reduce fractionally the ability of the bead to lock into the rim.
Usually riding a Spa Cycles Aubisque or a Rohloff-equipped Spa Cycles Elan Ti
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

A "tubeless ready" rim has a ridge on each side of the well, intended to retain the bead in place when the tyre deflates. That's why, as you inflate the tyre after installation, it can give quite a loud crack as the bead snaps over the ridge into place. Some rims have more pronounced ridges than others, and require considerable pressure with both thumbs just above the bead on one side to break the bead away from its seat into the well of the rim. Different tyres on the same rim can also require a different amount of force needed to break the bead away from its seat, but of the eight or so tubeless sets of wheels in our garage, I haven't yet encountered a rim/tyre combination where I couldn't manage it with my thumbs. However, I rather doubt that my wife, with less hand strength, could manage it on some of the wheels.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

It's all about the combination. My friend has a giant, and I absolutely could not get a set of tires on the rim (I tried 3 sets).. including the ones which came off. The same tires on other TLC rims are fine.

My son has a set of brood rims and tires on his 24in wheel. It's a Tubeless compatable set up, but I've never bothered. (Don't know how). So it has tubes in there, it's so tight there is no other way then to use tire levers to get it back on. Last time I did it I damaged 2 inner tubes with the levering. One pinching, the other went on inflations as I'd moved the rim tape. It's an absolute nightmare.
MartinS

Post by MartinS »

Thank you for your responses - I have not got "strong" hands but have not had any trouble breaking the rim seal with my thumbs on non tubeless rims even with, supposedly difficult Schwalbe Marathon tyres . The problem is clearly the tyre bead sticking in the groove at the rim edge of tubeless compatible rim so will try 2 layers of rim tape which seems a possible solution.
I failed to remove tyre whilst on the road using hands and "Cycle Pal Compact" tool. Bench vice worked but did not do the tyre a lot of good.
I appreciate and understand the nightmare comment!

Clearly I need to be able to remove tyres when out beyond reasonable walking distance from home as fellow cyclists with estates don't always drop by! So if rim tapes don't work I guess I will have to look for a wheel builder in North Kent to build existing hubs on to new, non tubeless rims. In the mean time I will use my old, heavy, bike!
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

MartinS wrote: 24 May 2023, 8:00pm The problem is clearly the tyre bead sticking in the groove at the rim edge of tubeless compatible rim so will try 2 layers of rim tape which seems a possible solution.
Make sure it's tubeless rim tape which has a smooth surface.
Usually riding a Spa Cycles Aubisque or a Rohloff-equipped Spa Cycles Elan Ti
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

MartinS wrote: 24 May 2023, 8:00pmThe problem is clearly the tyre bead sticking in the groove at the rim edge of tubeless compatible rim so will try 2 layers of rim tape which seems a possible solution.
I would think that multiple layers of rim tape over the ridges in the rim bed would make the problem worse, as you're effectively increasing the rim diameter at that point. Just try a single layer of thin tubeless tape. If you think that an additional layer is needed over the spoke holes, then use a separate layer of narrow tape that covers the spoke holes but doesn't extend as far as the ridges in the rim bed.
re_cycler

Post by re_cycler »

MartinS wrote: 23 May 2023, 8:23pm I have a Giant bike with "Giant" tyres and requested tubes to be fitted on purchase. I recently got a puncture and the special tool I had purchased as CT review did not touch the tyre.
Do you think that if the tyres had been set up as tubeless then this puncture would have just sealed anyway ?
PH

Post by PH »

Not something I've suffered with on any of my wheels, but someone on a club ride was struggling and a few of us failed... In the end they used a kerb and broke the seal with their heel. Seen them since and they tell me they've perfected that technique, doesn't need a kerb, anything to rest the tyre on and ensure the rim is off the ground. Something to practice at home before needing it roadside.
I failed to remove tyre whilst on the road using hands and "Cycle Pal Compact" tool.
Out of curiosity I've just looked at one of those, I can see how it'd be helpful in fitting, but it doesn't seem to offer much for removal. Good tyre levers are essential IMO, I carry three, two plastic, plus a metal one as an insurance policy. None of which is going to be of use till you've broken the seal.
MartinS

Post by MartinS »

Thanks for all the suggestions. As to the suggestion that if tubeless it would have been no problem - I agree as it was a very small hole caused by a very small flint flake that would have been no problem on, say, Marathon tyres. The technique of breaking the bead with the heel is one I now recall from motor bike days though we always used a block of wood or hard earth out of respect for the rim and stiff heels were essential. in desperation, say with 20 mile walk in view I would try this in future. Comment on Cycle Pal is correct - good assistance in replacing but only tyre levers assist removal.
Good news is that 2 wraps of tubeless tape seem to have solved the problem - I can now break bead free with thumbs (just hope have not stretched the bead too much in the vice!).
I will do a few more miles and see what happens but my conclusions are the options are, and they all cost, 1. dump puncture prone Giant tyres for Marathons or similar or 2. go tubeless (valve, sealant and repair kit plus stronger tyres) or 3. buy new wheels as I am told these are cheaper than using existing hubs (or is it a shortage of wheel builders?) .
IainMcB

Post by IainMcB »

It can be a beast of a job, and a bit scary. I found it best to put a heel on the tyre, then to pull the rim up very sharply. Trying to do it gently doesn't work, the upwards pull has to be quick. The type of tyre removal tool doesn't matter- you can only use the tool after the bead is out of the groove on the rim.
I keep the tyres tubeless partly because of the difficulty involved. Some combinations of rim/ tyre seem to be worse than others. Sonder wheels with WTB tyres were a nightmare for me.