Checking gear

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
foxyrider

Checking gear

Post by foxyrider »

Well its that time of year again when, for me, thoughts turn to my first camping of the season in @ 3 weeks time. So today i got the tent etc out and pitched up on the just tent sized bit of grass between the paths and raised beds at the back of the house. Well everything is aok apart from a damaged guy line (how it got damaged i've no idea as i rarely use them). Of course, now i'm itching to use it all 'in anger', somehow after 60 years, camping still makes me a bit excited!

I was quite chuffed (and relieved) that everything was okay still, i've got back up kit of course but its nice to know that even the UL stuff i favour can have a long life, most of my favourite gear is @ 10yo now - where did those years go?

Am i alone in this ritual?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Jdsk

Re: Checking gear

Post by Jdsk »

Before we set off we unpack and inspect but don't always put it up.

Jonathan

PS: On return I do try to go through the gear and see what we didn't use and why.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Obviously a good plan.

However I make sure the tent is completely dry before I pack it away and then just load it up and go. I take the view that it was fine when I packed it so it will be now!! Famous last words?

Not cycling related but I remember going to a camp site we used to go to by car as a family and they told the story of someone who turned up at the camp site having not checked the tent before leaving. It had been packed away wet the previous year!! Enough said. They soon went off to find a replacement. Not an ideal start but a lesson learned perhaps.
PH

Post by PH »

brianleach wrote: 25 May 2023, 7:11am However I make sure the tent is completely dry before I pack it away and then just load it up and go. I take the view that it was fine when I packed it so it will be now!!
Likewise, though the first camp of the year is usually an overnighter no more than fifty miles from home, so worst case scenario isn't that big a deal anyway.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

brianleach wrote: 25 May 2023, 7:11am

However I make sure the tent is completely dry before I pack it away and then just load it up and go. I take the view that it was fine when I packed it so it will be now!! Famous last words?
I won't assume that everyone does that, (the dry bit), but i do. Everything is put away clean/dry but stuff like sleeping bags i always air out along with the tent. I did have a self inflate mattress spring a leak between packing and next use so thats an essential for me too. Not done yet but the stove will be checked too, the first aid kit 'freshened' as required and there always seems to be some errant bit of food wrap hiding :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

I won't assume that everyone does that, (the dry bit)
I think you only don't do it once!!!
lisap

Post by lisap »

After a long hiatus from both the forum, cycle touring and camping I loaded everything up and camped with my two horses in their paddock last night. I also took everything out and checked it all worked and nothing was missing before I left. It’s only 5 miles from home but I had a great night listening to the owls and waking to the sound of my horses the other side of the electric fence. Cycled home this morning and left the tent in situ so I can sleep out again tonight. It’s made me ridiculously cheerful this morning and having had itchy feet for a while now I’ve got the touring bug back so plan is to put the horses into livery for two months next year and cycle the Pacific Coast again.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Ritual, yes, but generally packing it away more than when taking it out. That way I know it's ready to go as soon as I am.

Pete
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...