Transporting bikes - small is not always a problem.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
simonhill

Re: Transporting bikes - small is not always a problem.

Post by simonhill »

tatanab wrote: 25 May 2023, 9:58am
I often comment to myself when I see great big luxo-barges or camper vans etc with bikes outside when There is surely plenty of space inside.
For shorter runs, I used to put my bike inside my VW Type2.5 camper, wedged in between bed and front seat. In my Type4 it doesn't safely fit in the slightly smaller space without removing wheel. It's about a 3 minute job to put it on the back rack, less to dismount. Also need to take bike out of van if you need to do anything (eat, cup of tea, etc) in the camping area. The inside of vans are rooms, rather than spare space and keeping bike on the rack is much more practical.

There's also the safety aspect. The bike may fit, wedged in, but could become a very dangerous projectile in a crash.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Disappointed. Seeing the thread title, I thought "Why would small bikes be a problem to transport?" Followed by "It must mean small people; difficult to eg reach an overhead hanger in a train, or the roof of a car, when you're small." But no, it means small cars.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 31 May 2023, 12:35pm Disappointed. Seeing the thread title, I thought "Why would small bikes be a problem to transport?" Followed by "It must mean small people; difficult to eg reach an overhead hanger in a train, or the roof of a car, when you're small." But no, it means small cars.
It doesn't seem to mean small cars either! The previous post to yours mentions a VW Camper, the one before that a Hyundai Kona SUV, neither of which are small. Earlier posts mention various small old cars which, while interesting, isn't much help to many now. axel_knutt mentions a bike not fitting in a Honda Accord, which is a sedan or mid-size, so not a small car. Even the VW Polo in the opening post is classed as a "supermini", like the Honda Jazz mentioned later.

Has anyone fitted a medium/large adult bike inside a current small, A-segment, "mini" class, call-it-what-you-will car without all wheels, guards and racks off? I suspect that all the roll cages, air bags and so on means there's not enough room left even with the back seat folded down. And I think the hatchback entrance (or the access above the folded back seat, if it's a five-door) would need to be wider or taller than about 80cm to avoid either saddle or chainring colliding, which is also a rarity.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Now hold on just a gosh-darn minute. The Polo is a small car, maybe not ‘tiny’, but definitely small. Mine happens to be twenty years old so is not the latest, larger version. A trait that seems to follow most models of car as manufacturers introduce new versions.
Besides, as reinforced in the my second post in the thread, I was highlighting that one shouldn’t make assumptions and things are always worth trying. Strange then that I didn’t think of the idea sooner. Years ago I had a 1986 Polo, my brother a Golf from the same year. I could get three bikes in with the rear seats down, he could only manage two, in the next biggest car in VW’s range. I guess that’s the difference between size and practicality - which is what it’s all about, really.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I managed to get my Trek Domane in the back of my VW Up. Had to take the front wheel out and there were no racks or mudguards but it fitted, and it’s a 58cm frame. You can’t argue that an Up is not a small car. A lot depends on whether the car has a sloping rear screen. Most of my small cars have had near vertical rear screens.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

Bikes on scooters?
Beryl travelled to Rome Olympics on Charlies scooter.
mjr

Post by mjr »

peetee wrote: 31 May 2023, 7:34pm Now hold on just a gosh-darn minute. The Polo is a small car, maybe not ‘tiny’, but definitely small. Mine happens to be twenty years old so is not the latest, larger version.
Some earlier versions were smaller, but still "supermini" and not in the small class.

If you'd like examples of a small car, wikipedia lists "Fiat Panda, Fiat 500, Toyota Aygo, Renault Twingo, Volkswagen Up!, Hyundai i10, Kia Picanto, Peugeot 108, Citroën C1 and Suzuki Ignis" as 2020's best-sellers.
TrevA wrote: 31 May 2023, 10:22pm I managed to get my Trek Domane in the back of my VW Up. Had to take the front wheel out and there were no racks or mudguards but it fitted, and it’s a 58cm frame. You can’t argue that an Up is not a small car. A lot depends on whether the car has a sloping rear screen. Most of my small cars have had near vertical rear screens.
Thanks. Do you have any pictures of the example? Was that on the back seat, or with the seats folded? If folded, I guess along the car length because otherwise the rear screen wouldn't matter. And how close was the fit? My usual frame is 62cm c-c. Could you get a second bike in there?

I suspect you are correct about the slope of the rear screen. The rear screen slope of my "supermini" class car even causes problems for standing a folding bike in the back with rear seats up: the rear shelf has to be dropped and the saddle hits the window unless the seat post is removed!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Whenever I go to look at a replacement car I take the bike with me to ensure it will go in without having to be dismantled
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

mjr wrote: 1 Jun 2023, 1:27pm
peetee wrote: 31 May 2023, 7:34pm Now hold on just a gosh-darn minute. The Polo is a small car, maybe not ‘tiny’, but definitely small. Mine happens to be twenty years old so is not the latest, larger version.
Some earlier versions were smaller, but still "supermini" and not in the small class.

If you'd like examples of a small car, wikipedia lists "Fiat Panda, Fiat 500, Toyota Aygo, Renault Twingo, Volkswagen Up!, Hyundai i10, Kia Picanto, Peugeot 108, Citroën C1 and Suzuki Ignis" as 2020's best-sellers.
TrevA wrote: 31 May 2023, 10:22pm I managed to get my Trek Domane in the back of my VW Up. Had to take the front wheel out and there were no racks or mudguards but it fitted, and it’s a 58cm frame. You can’t argue that an Up is not a small car. A lot depends on whether the car has a sloping rear screen. Most of my small cars have had near vertical rear screens.
Thanks. Do you have any pictures of the example? Was that on the back seat, or with the seats folded? If folded, I guess along the car length because otherwise the rear screen wouldn't matter. And how close was the fit? My usual frame is 62cm c-c. Could you get a second bike in there?

I suspect you are correct about the slope of the rear screen. The rear screen slope of my "supermini" class car even causes problems for standing a folding bike in the back with rear seats up: the rear shelf has to be dropped and the saddle hits the window unless the seat post is removed!
Back seats folded down and front wheel out. Put the bike in back wheel first, on the non- derailleur side, then you can twist the handlebars as necessary to get the bike to fit. I don’t have the Up anymore, so can’t take a photo. My current Corsa is slightly bigger and I can get 2 bikes in the back, with the seat folded down. The second lays on top of the first but with the rear wheel against the driver’s seat (first bike rear wheel against passenger seat) and a sheet to separate the 2 bike and stop them getting scratched.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I mentioned my concern about a bike becoming a dangerous flying projectile within my van in the event of a crash. Isn't this also a potential problem in a car.

Do you strap your bikes down?

Also is it legal to have an unrestrained bike in the car?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonhill wrote: 3 Jun 2023, 8:01am I mentioned my concern about a bike becoming a dangerous flying projectile within my van in the event of a crash. Isn't this also a potential problem in a car.

I don't know of any specific legislation or regulation. But of course general principles of liability apply, including negligence.

The current DVSA guidance: "Load securing: vehicle operator guidance":
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... e#foreword

It starts with :

The securing of a load must be of primary concern for all road users, whether using a seatbelt to secure our loved ones in the family car, or transporting groceries in lorries to the local supermarket.

but not surprisingly it then concentrates on commercial operation.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Fiat 500 and Mercian, and Toyota Yaris and Moulton.
Mercian500-1.jpeg
IMG_1763.jpeg
Mick F. Cornwall
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

simonhill wrote: 3 Jun 2023, 8:01am I mentioned my concern about a bike becoming a dangerous flying projectile within my van in the event of a crash. Isn't this also a potential problem in a car.

Honda Jazz has small D ring securing points by the tailgate. I put a toestrap through that and a wheel, primarily to stop the machine moving side to side.

If I was worried about items flying around I would have to worry about securing my foot pump somehow. That is a mighty lump to be hit by. (I put it under the passenger seat). In a camper van, I imagine there are handles on inbuilt furniture etc that a bicycle could be tethered to.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

For those who haven't played with a Honda Jazz:

The rear seatbacks fold forwards to leave a big and reasonably flat space that's much what you'd expect.

But the rear seats also lift up and and backwards to give a big space with a low floor that's accessible through the rear doors. This space is brilliant for folded wheelchairs and pretty good for frames and small bikes loaded transversely. (The design trick that allow this is placing the fuel tank under the front seats. The trade-off is a smaller fuel tank.)

Jonathan

Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Always worth considering where a frame would move to if you're hit from behind by another vehicle - crosswise is better, as is lower. Occasionally the tandem is carried inside the car and the rear view mirror is considered even more than usual.