Invergordon to Lairg

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
schneewehe

Invergordon to Lairg

Post by schneewehe »

For the second last day I just need some help for an alternative route for the section Invergordon-Lairg. Is there a quite possibility via Tain? Some street views on google maps are 13 years old, so I'm not sure about the tarmac and traffic condition on route via Loch Buidhe. The way via Kyloag seems even more nice.
Sparky56

Re: Invergordon to Lairg

Post by Sparky56 »

I’ve just looked at the ordnance survey map:

National cycle route 1 goes from Alness to Lairg via Tain, goes on back roads to Tain, and then along the south side of the Dornoch Firth on what appears to be the A836

There’s also the B9176 that goes directly across the hills to the western end of the Dornoch Firth - and then joins national cycle route 1.

If it were me I’d go over the hills - I’ve driven that road many times and it was usually quiet but that was a long time ago before NC500 existed
irc

Post by irc »

I drove the B9176 last year. It wasn't busy.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Another vote here for the B9176, Struie road.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Norman H wrote: 26 May 2023, 11:26am Another vote here for the B9176, Struie road.
+1 Every time
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
schneewehe

Post by schneewehe »

I've did the B9176, Struie road last year and thought sbaout an alternative which is a little bit more saved from head wind. Din't mind some more climbs included, as everything after the Pennines seems to be easy.
Ron

Post by Ron »

As you have done the Struie last year you will also have done half of the road on the south side of the Dornoch Firth.
After Tain you could cross the Dornoch Firth bridge and take the road along the north side of the Dornoch Firth to Bonar Bridge.
I would estimate motor traffic levels would be very similar on both sides of the Dornoch Firth.
The road from Spinningdale to Bonar via Kyloag and Migdale is a pleasant route, single track, but if you are in no hurry I would say go that way!
The last time I was there the Golf Club at Bonar had a tea room open to non members, I'm uncertain as to the present situation.