Sora flatbar component compatibility

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
geomannie

Sora flatbar component compatibility

Post by geomannie »

Hi Folks

I have a bike with a Sora FD-3030 front triple derailleur. This may seem an obvious question, but is it compatible with a Sora SL-R3030 3 speed right flatbar shifter like this? https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-shifte ... ar-triple/

Sora 3030 works with all 3030, right? I ask as the front shifter is described as working with Mega9 precision drivetrains and I have never heard of such a thing. The triple shifters are a bit pricey so I want to be sure before I purchase.

Your wisdom and hopefully reassurance gratefully recieved.

Thanks
geomannie
geomannie

Re: Sora flatbar component compatibility

Post by geomannie »

Anyone? Thanks
geomannie wrote: 26 May 2023, 10:15am Hi Folks

I have a bike with a Sora FD-3030 front triple derailleur. This may seem an obvious question, but is it compatible with a Sora SL-R3030 3 speed right flatbar shifter like this? https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-shifte ... ar-triple/

Sora 3030 works with all 3030, right? I ask as the front shifter is described as working with Mega9 precision drivetrains and I have never heard of such a thing. The triple shifters are a bit pricey so I want to be sure before I purchase.

Thanks
geomannie
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Yes. Flat bar shifters for road front derailleurs are unusual, hence the price. The cable pull is different from MTB front derailleurs. Ironically 9 speed road and MTB Shimano rear derailleurs have the same cable pull.

Mega9 was a marketing label for wide ratio cassettes and rear derailleurs.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

UpWrong wrote: 28 May 2023, 7:55am Yes. Flat bar shifters for road front derailleurs are unusual, hence the price. The cable pull is different from MTB front derailleurs. Ironically 9 speed road and MTB Shimano rear derailleurs have the same cable pull.

Mega9 was a marketing label for wide ratio cassettes and rear derailleurs.
Thanks. The triple shifters are quite a price, hence my nervousness at buying. I can buy a double shifter for £5.99 but the triple sells for about 8x the amount
geomannie
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

You can SJS, they have a Q&A section for every product
Richard M
Cardiff
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly but the shifter in the link is for a 9 speed rear derailleur not a 3 speed front.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

iandusud wrote: 28 May 2023, 9:02am

I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly but the shifter in the link is for a 9 speed rear derailleur not a 3 speed front.
Advert is for a pair of shifters.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Had a similar dylemma changing from drops to flat bar with a 105 triple.Solved by going oldschool,i.e. thumbshifter for front mech duties,light,infinitely adjustable on the fly,it just works.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

cyclop wrote: 28 May 2023, 7:27pm Had a similar dylemma changing from drops to flat bar with a 105 triple.Solved by going oldschool,i.e. thumbshifter for front mech duties,light,infinitely adjustable on the fly,it just works.
That would be my solution too. Problem is, this is not my bike.
geomannie
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

UpWrong wrote: 28 May 2023, 2:56pm
iandusud wrote: 28 May 2023, 9:02am

Advert is for a pair of shifters.
So it is :D
Toffee

Post by Toffee »

Thanks
Yes it will work, I have done the exact same conversion.

Try ebay to get it significantly cheaper than your link.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Toffee wrote: 29 May 2023, 10:12am

Thanks
Yes it will work, I have done the exact same conversion.

Try ebay to get it significantly cheaper than your link.
That is the definitive answer I wanted! Thanks.
geomannie