Sram force broken crank lockring help

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Davidsmith48

Sram force broken crank lockring help

Post by Davidsmith48 »

I have a Giant TCR Pro sram.12 speed force groupset and had a dissaster today packing it up to.bring home from holiday. The locking nut for the crank that you turn to remove the cranks has completely sheard off leaving no way of removing the cranks.

I took to a LBS in spain, but got nothing but scratching of heqds.

I sure hope this is not terminal for my frame.

Any ideas what to do?
Jdsk

Re: Sram force broken crank lockring help

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

Could you add some photos of what's left in place.

Thanks

Jonathan
Davidsmith48

Post by Davidsmith48 »

Sorry i meant to add.
Attachments
20230526_184530.jpg
Screenshot_20230526_194756_Gallery.jpg
slowster

Post by slowster »

Davidsmith48 wrote: 26 May 2023, 6:48pm The locking nut for the crank that you turn to remove the cranks has completely sheard off leaving no way of removing the cranks.
Judging by the photographs it looks like both the crank bolt and the self-extractor retaining bolt have been rounded out, rather than the crank bolt having sheered.

If this is the correct part in question for your bike, it looks like the crank bolt takes an 8mm allen key, and the self-extractor retaining bolt a 10mm allen key (some other Sram self-extractor retaining bolts have holes instead for a pin spanner).

There are a lot of threads on various cycling forums about problems with Sram Dub cranks, and most of them are on MTB forums like Singletrackworld. I suggest you try searching those forums. I think you will have to use destructive methods, and I suspect the issue will be whether it is possible to remove the crank bolt without wrecking the cranks, e.g. by carefully drilling the bolt out or welding an allen key to it, or whether you have to destroy the cranks.