GPS unit that tells you where you are

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Boring_Username

GPS unit that tells you where you are

Post by Boring_Username »

I'm happy with my Wahoo Bolt v1, in so much as it is effective at telling me where to go next.

However, I would also like to know where I am now. I often find myself riding through some village say, and wondering, what is the name of this place? But the Bolt is not very good at indicating that on the little map.

Any units that people would recommend?

Thanks
Last edited by Boring_Username on 27 May 2023, 9:44am, edited 2 times in total.
Nearholmer

Re: GPS unit that tells you where you are

Post by Nearholmer »

Do you have a smart phone?
Boring_Username

Nearholmer wrote: 26 May 2023, 7:24pm Do you have a smart phone?
Yes but battery life is limited compared w GPS unit. My current solution is to mount it next to the GPS unit and activate Google Maps on it when I get to somewhere interesting, but it is quite a clunky process.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I find I get pretty good phone battery life by turning the screen on only when I really need the map, the equivalent of taking a look at a paper map, but I do carry a backup battery if I’m going out for a long time. That and the choice of cycle streets, cycle.travel, OS, and (in true desperation) google maps on the phone has meant not buying a cycling specific device.

But, I’m afraid I don’t know the direct answer to your question.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

The feature you want is available on a Garmin 1030 Plus.
PH

Post by PH »

I find the screen on my Garmin Explore 2 too small to clearly see the town or village name, so I'd have to stop to have a better look, and if I'm stopping I may as well use the bigger screen on my phone.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Any GPS unit that features a basemap. Wahoo (certainly the older ones) usually featured just a breadcrumb trail which, to be fair, works fine for most navigation of pre-loaded routes.
De Sisti wrote: 26 May 2023, 9:15pm The feature you want is available on a Garmin 1030 Plus.
That would work, there are far cheaper ones that would also do it. Garmin 530, Edge Explore (1 and 2), the new Wahoo Roam V2 all have basemapping pre-installed.
Boring_Username

Thanks all. I notice the Garmin 1030 Plus is on special offer at Chain Reaction Cycles, down from an eye-watering £520 to a conceivable £300. I'm wondering though why such a big discount, it seems a bit odd?
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Boring_Username wrote: 27 May 2023, 6:09am Thanks all. I notice the Garmin 1030 Plus is on special offer at Chain Reaction Cycles, down from an eye-watering £520 to a conceivable £300. I'm wondering though why such a big discount, it seems a bit odd?
I have a 1030 Plus, so that's why I know.
Boring_Username wrote: 27 May 2023, 6:09amI'm wondering though why such a big discount, it seems a bit odd?
Perhaps they need to sell them cheaper in order to stock the 1040 Plus?
Boring_Username

De Sisti wrote: 27 May 2023, 6:27am Perhaps they need to sell them cheaper in order to stock the 1040 Plus?
:)
re_cycler

Post by re_cycler »

Just to throw another device into the mix that rarely gets mentioned.
Hammerhead Karoo 2. I've no personal experience but it would seem a reasonably well established brand now.

https://www.uk.hammerhead.io/products/h ... bc070884a5
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

If you're into walking then I'd suggest the Garmin Etrex range. I've got an older-model 30 that does what you want and accepts cycling ANT+ sensors
Handlebar mount and away you go
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Get yourself one of those portable batteries so you can keep your phone charged. Keep the battery in a saddle bag/pouch. Cheaper than a new GPS unit.
I do use the Garmin edge explore now which is soooooooooo much better than those flippin etrex's (I've had 3) and goes for around £150. Although as PH says, you'll need to stop to read the place names but that's not exactly a huge problem.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Boring_Username wrote: 26 May 2023, 7:10pm I'm happy with my Wahoo Bolt v1, in so much as it is effective at telling me where to go next.

However, I would also like to know where I am now. I often find myself riding through some village say, and wondering, what is the name of this place? But the Bolt is not very good at indicating that on the little map.

Any units that people would recommend?

Thanks
I’d say, "Hey Siri, what village am I in?"
She/he would say "You are in village name and post town
How much battery does that use? :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Years ago, I attempted to pursue the idea of a paired down gps device that simply showed the current position, ideally as a UK grid ref. on a small screen. Imagine my delight when I did come across such a thing and my disappointment when I was told by the maker about the terms of sale. As far as I recall, they were made by a UK company and supplied to agencies involved in something to do with democratic or census services - I forget the details. The company would only supply in multiples of tens or hundreds and no matter how much I tried to press them to let me have a single sample, they refused :-(
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)