TURP operation and side effects

3speednut

TURP operation and side effects

Post by 3speednut »

Has anyone got actual experience of a TURP operation ,,(transurethral resection of the prostate)
In particular any negative affect on sexual function
,l have looked on line at side affects studies that seem to suggest only a very small percentage have side affects in that area but what about real life experience? I have to consider my options of either deciding on the TURP opp or a once a day self catheterization to completely empty my bladder . I find self catheterization quite easy but this is a forever thing and I can see it getting very monotonous .
crossy

Re: TURP operation and side effects

Post by crossy »

I had the TURP operation 5 years ago it’s made such a difference to my life. I couldn’t go far from a toilet needing to go all the time. Sex life never changed. Best thing I ever did.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
3speednut

Post by 3speednut »

That's good to know, I don't have a particular problem with needing to go to often, usually 2.5-3.5 hours between relieving myself.I have been told that the opp has only a 50/50 chance of success and I may have to keep self catheterizing after anyway so it's not a certainty it would improve things .
crossy

Post by crossy »

I went out for lunch once and had to go about 4 times before I left the restaurant not good. Car journeys weren’t too bad because I could stop when I wanted but I refused to use buses as it would have been a problem. Now it’s not a problem.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I was in and out the same day. There were about 6 of us being operated on during the session..
The main thing, for letting us go home, was no blood in the urine when having a pee.
Previous to the op' was not knowing when a toilet was needed and how often. Bursting to go and not emptying properly, so having to go again shortly afterwards.
The op' cured all that and as been good for a quite a few years now.
Side effect is no ejaculation. (no idea what happens to the little wiggly thingies.)

Worth a read :-
https://www.nhsinform.scot/tests-and-tr ... he%20penis).

They gave me a spinal anaesthetic and I felt nothing. I was told not to ride my bike for a few days but otherwise no problems that I remember.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

cycleruk wrote: 27 May 2023, 3:28pm ...
Side effect is no ejaculation. (no idea what happens to the little wiggly thingies.)
They end up in the urine in the bladder. And can sometimes be recovered if needed.

Retrograde ejaculation:
https://www.nhsinform.scot/tests-and-tr ... turp#risks

Jonathan
3speednut

Post by 3speednut »

cycleruk wrote: 27 May 2023, 3:28pm I was in and out the same day. There were about 6 of us being operated on during the session..
The main thing, for letting us go home, was no blood in the urine when having a pee.
Previous to the op' was not knowing when a toilet was needed and how often. Bursting to go and not emptying properly, so having to go again shortly afterwards.
The op' cured all that and as been good for a quite a few years now.

Worth a read :-
https://www.nhsinform.scot/tests-and-tr ... he%20penis).

They gave me a spinal anaesthetic and I felt nothing. I was told not to ride my bike for a few days but otherwise no problems that I remember.
Thanks for the reply, do you remember the odds of success given with the procedure I've been told 50/50 because of having a very enlarged bladder being to weak to push the excess urine out so might have to continue with self catheterizing anyway. If successful like in your case it would certainly improve things , the big issue with me is having to use the catheter every night and the waste involved with a use once only catheter.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

3speednut wrote: 27 May 2023, 4:56pm
cycleruk wrote: 27 May 2023, 3:28pm I was in and out the same day. There were about 6 of us being operated on during the session..
Thanks for the reply, do you remember the odds of success given with the procedure I've been told 50/50 because of having a very enlarged bladder being to weak to push the excess urine out so might have to continue with self catheterizing anyway. If successful like in your case it would certainly improve things , the big issue with me is having to use the catheter every night and the waste involved with a use once only catheter.
I don't remember any one even mentioning a chance of it not working. The only risk talked about was a water works infection after the op'. So I was issued with antibiotic tablets just in case.
Our circumstances are obviously different. With me it was strangulation of the Urethra due to an enlaged Prostate and the TURP op' alleviated this. Before the op' I had been on tablets for a few years but they gradually had less effect and the TURP was possibly the only answer.
You must have a discussion with the consultant as to the risks and chances of a good outcome.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
3speednut

Post by 3speednut »

I had along talk with the urologists she was extremely helpful and very informative and patient with me and I am on a 6 months self referral scheme so I just have to ring the number and say yes to the opp or leave it if I decide against it so trying to get as much information as I can before deciding. I only have a slightly enlarged prostate, the bigger problem is a stretched/weak bladder .
crossy

Post by crossy »

If you have only a slightly enlarged prostate I’m not really sure why you need a tTURP done they must know a good reason for it to go ahead with it?
3speednut

Post by 3speednut »

The intension is to improve flow and get an emptier bladder but the urologists only gave it as I said 50/50 chance of improving it and the decision has been left up to me .
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

3speednut wrote: 26 May 2023, 8:03pm Has anyone got actual experience of a TURP operation ,,(transurethral resection of the prostate)
,l have looked on line at side affects studies that seem to suggest only a very small percentage have side affects in that area but what about real life experience? I have to consider my options of either deciding on the TURP opp or a once a day self catheterization to completely empty my bladder . I find self catheterization quite easy but this is a forever thing and I can see it getting very monotonous .
It now sounds as if you're describing bladder underactivity/ detrusor underactivity.

I suggest that you say whether you still want individual experiences from people who have had TURP for a different condition.

Jonathan
crossy

Post by crossy »

Ok thanks for the clarification not sure my experience with TURP will help you. Good luck with your condition and hope they can help you.
3speednut

Post by 3speednut »

Jdsk wrote: 28 May 2023, 6:18pm
3speednut wrote: 26 May 2023, 8:03pm Has anyone got actual experience of a TURP operation ,,(transurethral resection of the prostate)
It now sounds as if you're describing bladder underactivity/ detrusor underactivity.

I suggest that you say whether you still want individual experiences from people who have had TURP for a different condition.

Jonathan
I think bladder underactivity describes it better the urologists called it a floppy bladder it's just not squeezing enough to empty fully .
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I had a TURP for an enlarged prostate about 6 years ago. I had to have a catheter for about a week after the operation, and once that was removed, everything was a bit sore for a few days. I was advised not to ride my bike for a month after the op. I did lose quite a bit of fitness but when I started to ride again it soon came back.

The op was definitely worthwhile for me. I went from having to get up to urinate a couple of times a night, to not having to get up at all during the night. I’ve had no after effects after everything settled down. I was back to full fitness 2-3 months after having the op.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com