Pedal stuck in crank

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ANTONISH

Re: Pedal stuck in crank

Post by ANTONISH »

hamster wrote: 5 Jun 2023, 9:48am Dumb question to start: you know that is the one with a left hand thread?

I agree with the Torx bit approach, I've used is successfully on some horribly rusted up things.
If all else fails, then dismantle the pedal and grip the shaft with mole grips (try to avoid the bearing surfaces).
An eminently sensible suggestion.
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

One thing to watch out for: if you find a way to apply enough force to turning the pedal axle you can strip the crank threads. It will then turn but not extract unless you use a ball joint puller too. You'll then have a good pedal and a crank that needs a thread insert to repair it. Don't ask me how I know this.
Blackredgold1964

Post by Blackredgold1964 »

Dear all,
Thanks, Javatime, Airsporter1st, rogerzilla, Identicalbutlighter, jimlews, richardfm, hamster, ANTONISH, MartinC, for all your contributions.
Very interesting to read them all.

Yesterday I picked up the bike, eager to find out which of the numerous approaches the mechanic might have used. Staring at him in great suspense he finally said: ”sorry, I cannot remember”!!! “Too long ago, mate”.

Apparently it didn’t seem to have been the all-consuming affair for him that it had been for me. But then he handed me the spindle and seemed to recall he stripped the pedal, sprayed the spindle and used some grip to twist it out of the crank.
That’s it, bike’s running again.
Have a nice Sunday everyone.
Blackredgold1964