Help choosing bicycle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
SummitFreedom

Re: Help choosing bicycle

Post by SummitFreedom »

oaklec wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 8:19pm And not forgetting Summit is looking for a bike that is capable of bimbling round the Kent countryside and popping to the shops. He has also mentioned south downs but I would think that is the next chapter in his cycling endeavours
I think bonefish is trolling now
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

SummitFreedom wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 8:32pm
oaklec wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 8:19pm And not forgetting Summit is looking for a bike that is capable of bimbling round the Kent countryside and popping to the shops. He has also mentioned south downs but I would think that is the next chapter in his cycling endeavours
I think bonefish is trolling now
Not trolling, just amusing myself, just as you are.

I'm as sure as I can be that you have no intention of buying a cycle, you're just enjoying yourself at the expense of others' good nature.

But credit where it's due, you're very good :lol:
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

Damn you Bonefish !!!!! Now I want one of those Whyte bikes. I'm a sucker for a bargain, I bought two brooks saddles earlier because someone on this site posted that they were heavily discounted at Ribble. :)
Lynskey Peloton, Ron Cooper, Bates BAR, Yates Expedition, Dawes Sardar, Dawes Edge, Pashley Parabike, Dawes Clubman
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

Bonefishblues wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 8:37pm Not trolling, just amusing myself, just as you are.

I'm as sure as I can be that you have no intention of buying a cycle, you're just enjoying yourself at the expense of others' good nature.

I am happy to video call if you don't believe me. I can explain my circumstances in depth then. I am an ongoing victim of abuse by my parents, I have no friends and the list goes on. This makes purchasing things complicated. And I have no income but I have savings. So I am VERY careful with how and what I spend my money on.

Obviously there is more to this then what i just wrote. Hence the 'I can explain in depth then'.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

SummitFreedom wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 8:46pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 8:37pm Not trolling, just amusing myself, just as you are.

I am happy to video call if you don't believe me. I can explain my circumstances in depth then. I am an ongoing victim of abuse by my parents, I have no friends and the list goes on. This makes purchasing things complicated. And I have no income but I have savings. So I am VERY careful with how and what I spend my money on.

Obviously there is more to this then what i just wrote. Hence the 'I can explain in depth then'.
No thanks.

Go to a cycle shop which is recommended - open a thread if necessary. Be prepared to travel to one. Describe what you require a cycle for. Take their advice. Buy cycle.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

oaklec wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 8:42pm Damn you Bonefish !!!!! Now I want one of those Whyte bikes. I'm a sucker for a bargain, I bought two brooks saddles earlier because someone on this site posted that they were heavily discounted at Ribble. :)
They are crackers - lovely light cycles that ride ever so nicely and feel a bit more special than the mainstream. Mrs BF will never part with hers.
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

SummitFreedom wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 8:46pm

So, lots of info, advice, suggestions in this thread. Are you any closer to choosing ?
Lynskey Peloton, Ron Cooper, Bates BAR, Yates Expedition, Dawes Sardar, Dawes Edge, Pashley Parabike, Dawes Clubman
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

oaklec wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 9:08pm [a
I will ride the 2 and some MTB's as you said. Thing is they only let you ride for 5 mins. I will see how they feel.

Shiey bought a MTB when he isn't even doing MTB stuff. Look at the paths he's on in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj8slnNQVho
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

excellent. I shall give my typing digit a rest for a while until you let us know how you get on
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

I had a good day to start with because I thought I had finally come to a choice because steve from canterbury bikes told me I need a MTB.

Then I went out to eat, because of my abusive parents I try to avoid the kitchen here and as a result I have not learnt how to cook for myself.

I didn't want to pay the tip, because why TF should I give money for free to someone who is getting paid a wage already. In fact grade A under A made a hilarious and good video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBTfj2lN6sQ

It was a small family run restaurant. Waiter/what I assume is the son of the owner, got angry that I didn't want to tip. Also I had disliked all three things I ordered and when asked how it was after I ate each one, I told them what exactly I didn't like about the dish in a conversational friendly manner.

I had not eaten all day and I have been eating so little over the past month, that recently my lips developed a few blisters and had gone dry and were bleeding a little now and then. They are ok now. This drastically affects hormones and therefore makes me vulnerable and physically weak. No energy consistently = body feels weak and can't move much. I often fall asleep from exhaustion due to calorie deficit.

My stepmum makes derogative angry comments about me eating saying things like 'he eats 3x more than anyone in the family' and 'he eats a whole can of beans (red kidney beans)' which she says with a lot of anger. 1 can of kidney beans is F**k all calories. She says other stuff too. Told the police but they don't care.

I am 174cm and weigh 70KG. It's not like I'm overweight. Oh and she told me 'if I were you I would stop eating, because you just have to sit in your chair all day', and 'you only need food because you think you need food. People don't die if they don't eat'.
....ARE YOU BATSHI* CRAZY?! The answer is, she is a degenerate abusive, very very short tempered, very overweight, ugly vile human who has the IQ of a fish.

But I could barely think straight form the huge calorie deficit. And I was emotionally vulnerable more so because I had not eaten.

Anyhow, opposite me was a table with 2 old people. They were a couple. The man started being racist toward me (he is white I am of colour) and saying I had been rude the entire time I was sat there. His wife started yelling at me and told me to pay the bill and sod off. Both were clearly poorly educated from the way they spoke. Oh and the wife said I ruined her birthday meal XD.

I was quiet while eating, was friendly to the staff and avoided eye contact with guests, keeping myself to myself.

I was not verbally informed there was going to be a service charge, nor was it written on the menu or anywhere.

F*****g disgusting that the waiter got angry that I didn't want to pay the service charge.

Also, I eat out alot, so I would lose a lot of money paying everyone service charges. But I am also NOT going to give money for free. They get paid a wage.

Moving on. I was trying not to cry on my way back home. I just wanted to eat in peace. That is why I didn't cook at home and eat. And why I often don't.

I have NEVER experienced anything like that eating out ever. And I eat out a lot. My usual restaurant I go to has this guy that is very friendly, when he's there.

This is something I hate about the UK and especially Kent. The amount of racist white people here is absurd. It's not just old people. It's MOST people. And not all are openly racist. It's often in more subtle ways.

I have of course reported the incident to the police.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

If I was you I'd buy this

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybrid-b ... NC4wLjAuMA..

I have a subway 2 which I converted very easily to electric for commuting but essentially it's a very good wee bike. Yes it's steel forks but still a light enough bike. The 2" tyres are great for most road surfaces and give all the suspension you'll need.

Just back from a wee cycle holiday to the IOM TT on it with panniers back and front and did 350 miles on it over about a week and mostly on the heritage trail IOM which has a variable surface. Yes the electric kit is a great help but the bike is very comfortable and reliable.

The panniers on the front non suspension forks were handy -- (putting the pannier frame on my mtb telescopic forks is a bit fiddly. Also suspension forks can do unpredictable things after hitting a pothole. Straight forks are predictable and you can better feel what the front tyre is doing. )

The standard carrera subway 2 new is £375 -- the one I sent link for has a few extra bits and it's a subway 3 -- don't know what extra features that gives. A great all rounder.

It's not as attractive to thieves as a more expensive bike but buy a half decent combination lock -- the stainless wire ones are the handiest to use since you'll get them around most fixed objects. If you buy a D lock which are supposed to be the best ( I don't agree ) you'll struggle to find things to lock your bike to.
I am here. Where are you?
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

Cowsham wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 11:41pm If I was you I'd buy this

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybrid-b ... NC4wLjAuMA..

I have a subway 2 which I converted very easily to electric for commuting but essentially it's a very good wee bike. Yes it's steel forks but still a light enough bike. The 2" tyres are great for most road surfaces and give all the suspension you'll need.

Just back from a wee cycle holiday to the IOM TT on it with panniers back and front and did 350 miles on it over about a week and mostly on the heritage trail IOM which has a variable surface. Yes the electric kit is a great help but the bike is very comfortable and reliable.

The panniers on the front non suspension forks were handy -- (putting the pannier frame on my mtb telescopic forks is a bit fiddly. Also suspension forks can do unpredictable things after hitting a pothole. Straight forks are predictable and you can better feel what the front tyre is doing. )
I don't want a cycle without suspension. It's too painful.

Also I have no idea what your abbreviations are.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Front suspension isn't going to make that much difference to comfort - rear suspension is power zapping. 2" tyres in combination with a flat topped sprung saddle is the answer. ( although instead of springs in the saddle I now use a flat topped saddle with some inherent spring in it's plastic base. ) Don't ever buy a big cushioned saddle cos the foam your weight is on compresses against your perineum and can cut blood supply from your Dingle berries and Willy.
I am here. Where are you?
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

Cowsham wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 8:58am Front suspension isn't going to make that much difference to comfort - rear suspension is power zapping. 2" tyres in combination with a flat topped sprung saddle is the answer. ( although instead of springs in the saddle I now use a flat topped saddle with some inherent spring in it's plastic base. ) Don't ever buy a big cushioned saddle cos the foam your weight is on compresses against your perineum and can cut blood supply from your Dingle berries and Willy.
I googled 2 inch cycle tires and nothing comes up. 2 inches = 5cm. 5cm tires?! You sure? Please provide links for hybrid 5cm tires.