Help choosing bicycle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
oaklec

Re: Help choosing bicycle

Post by oaklec »

rareposter wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 3:19pm
SummitFreedom wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 2:59pm Thanks.... but hang on. NEVER need to take it back?! Cycles need periodic servicing surely?
Yes they do but one basic service a year costs less than a Halfords service plan, much of which you will never use. Have a look at what's included - things like "fit new brake cables".

Well that's irrelevant because the bike has hydraulic disc brakes, no cables to change.
Some of their descriptions sound good like "headset". What that translates to is "check headset, it'll be fine" (30 seconds work) or "check headset, it's a fraction loose, tighten two bolts" (maybe nearly a minute's work!)

Service plans like that are just an easy money maker, no customer ever uses anywhere close to the full value of it and it's more economical to get basic stuff done as and when required.
It appears to be good value but as mentioned by a previous poster I suspect it's a way to make more money from you. For instance, you take the bike in for a service and they say the tyres are worn, the rotors and pads also, you should let us replace them and don't forget you get 10% off rrp for these parts - but you are still paying 90% rrp and they are still making money. Better to avoid the service plans and repair and service as required.
Lynskey Peloton, Ron Cooper, Bates BAR, Yates Expedition, Dawes Sardar, Dawes Edge, Pashley Parabike, Dawes Clubman
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

oaklec wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 3:49pm It appears to be good value but as mentioned by a previous poster I suspect it's a way to make more money from you. For instance, you take the bike in for a service and they say the tyres are worn, the rotors and pads also, you should let us replace them and don't forget you get 10% off rrp for these parts - but you are still paying 90% rrp and they are still making money. Better to avoid the service plans and repair and service as required.
You think they would lie to get me to spend money!?
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

SummitFreedom wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 3:52pm
oaklec wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 3:49pm It appears to be good value but as mentioned by a previous poster I suspect it's a way to make more money from you. For instance, you take the bike in for a service and they say the tyres are worn, the rotors and pads also, you should let us replace them and don't forget you get 10% off rrp for these parts - but you are still paying 90% rrp and they are still making money. Better to avoid the service plans and repair and service as required.
You think they would lie to get me to spend money!?
They are in business to make money and will try to upsell at every opportunity
Lynskey Peloton, Ron Cooper, Bates BAR, Yates Expedition, Dawes Sardar, Dawes Edge, Pashley Parabike, Dawes Clubman
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

Summit - you tell us you live in Whitstable, which is so close to Canterbury (where I used to live). this is new information to me, I didn't notice it in the discussions earlier in the year.

Anyway, might you have time to visit the Canterbury Bike Project?

https://www.thecanterburybikeproject.co.uk/

Looks like it's a bus ride away from you. They are set up to give advice on supporting young people in the local community, offer advice on buying bikes, would give training in bike maintenance and they also sell second hand bikes -- so you might even find something suitable for you at a fraction of the cost of the bikes you are thinking about.

Even if you stick with your original decision to buy new (I remember you said you didn't want second hand) this community project might really help you with making a decision and then subsequently with your cycling activities.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

SummitFreedom wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 3:52pm You think they would lie to get me to spend money!?
It's not really "lying".
They're selling you a service package which 99% of people will never ever use to anything like it's full value.

Happens on pretty much all large purchases. Go to Currys and buy a fridge or a washing machine and straight away you'll be asked if you want to buy an extended warranty. It's just a commission thing - they know that vanishingly few customers will ever use it so it's a handy extra thing for them to sell to make an easy profit.

Make the item itself a few quid cheaper to appear good value then add it on again in "extras".

Like buying priority boarding on a plane - you just get to sit on the plane for slightly longer while everyone else boards but you've paid £15 for the privilege. Sounds good at point of booking though...
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

rareposter wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 4:01pm It's not really "lying".
They're selling you a service package which 99% of people will never ever use to anything like it's full value.

Happens on pretty much all large purchases. Go to Currys and buy a fridge or a washing machine and straight away you'll be asked if you want to buy an extended warranty. It's just a commission thing - they know that vanishingly few customers will ever use it so it's a handy extra thing for them to sell to make an easy profit.

Make the item itself a few quid cheaper to appear good value then add it on again in "extras".

Like buying priority boarding on a plane - you just get to sit on the plane for slightly longer while everyone else boards but you've paid £15 for the privilege. Sounds good at point of booking though...
But that guy said they would tell me thins like my tires are worn etc... which I assume means when they are not, so they just lie and get you to buy new parts?
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

Sparky56 wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 3:56pm Summit - you tell us you live in Whitstable, which is so close to Canterbury (where I used to live). this is new information to me, I didn't notice it in the discussions earlier in the year.

Looks like it's a bus ride away from you. They are set up to give advice on supporting young people in the local community, offer advice on buying bikes, would give training in bike maintenance and they also sell second hand bikes -- so you might even find something suitable for you at a fraction of the cost of the bikes you are thinking about.

Even if you stick with your original decision to buy new (I remember you said you didn't want second hand) this community project might really help you with making a decision and then subsequently with your cycling activities.
Thanks just spoke to a guy from there and he told me to email him. Free workshops are full, he just got back from holiday he said so he doesn't know the available slots yet, and for the cycle selection, he told me to email him the links of the 2 cycles and he will compare and tell me which is better.

He said its not the frame that is important, it's the components and he said during lockdown there was a shortage of parts, so cycle manufacturers started using crap parts, including Giant he said.

Free workshop sessions he said they teach how to fix a puncture and how to adjust gears. that's it he said. If you want to learn more there are weekend courses he said,

I took a look and 2 day course is like £275 :o

https://www.thecanterburybikeproject.co ... nthusiast/
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

SummitFreedom wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 4:23pm
Sparky56 wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 3:56pm Summit - you tell us you live in Whitstable, which is so close to Canterbury (where I used to live). this is new information to me, I didn't notice it in the discussions earlier in the year.

Thanks just spoke to a guy from there and he told me to email him. Free workshops are full, he just got back from holiday he said so he doesn't know the available slots yet, and for the cycle selection, he told me to email him the links of the 2 cycles and he will compare and tell me which is better.

He said its not the frame that is important, it's the components and he said during lockdown there was a shortage of parts, so cycle manufacturers started using crap parts, including Giant he said.

Free workshop sessions he said they teach how to fix a puncture and how to adjust gears. that's it he said. If you want to learn more there are weekend courses he said,

Looks like they have (or used to) have beginner sessions for young people etc that are free of charge. Keep an eye on the website etc and you'll get onto one eventually. It might be worth going there so you can meet the people - that sometimes is more personal and they might help you more.
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

It will be interesting to see which bike he recommends and why
re_cycler

Post by re_cycler »

Sparky56 wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 4:37pm
Looks like they have (or used to) have beginner sessions for young people etc that are free of charge. Keep an eye on the website etc and you'll get onto one eventually. It might be worth going there so you can meet the people - that sometimes is more personal and they might help you more.
From an earlier post I think Summit said he was 34 so he may have missed the opportunity for the freebie course.
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

re_cycler wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 6:24pm From an earlier post I think Summit said he was 34 so he may have missed the opportunity for the freebie course.
I am 34, but they do offer a free adult course where they teach how to repair a puncture and how to adjust gears. It's just fully booked right now
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

SummitFreedom wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 4:23pm

So, which bike did the Canterbury Bike Project recommend?
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

oaklec wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 7:16pm
So, which bike did the Canterbury Bike Project recommend?
[/quote]

No reply yet from him
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

[quote=Sparky56 post_id=1777462
It might be worth going there so you can meet the people - that sometimes is more personal and they might help you more.
[/quote]

How is it worth going there? They run courses, have many bikes to manage, fix etc. I'm certain I can't just walk in whenever I want and someone will be free to talk to me...
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

https://youtu.be/o3300u-FLic

In this video they talk about how the gear ratios on this bike are crap and make it only good for flat riding.

I want good gear ratios. I wanna be able to go up hills. There's a very steep bit early on in crab and winkle. And where I live it's hilly.

But I don't know anything about gear ratios. Someone please tell me if the 2 cycles I'm looking at have good enough gear ratios that it'll make hill climbing a breeze.