Help choosing bicycle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
SummitFreedom

Re: Help choosing bicycle

Post by SummitFreedom »

Sparky56 wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 10:29am I would suggest use the local bike shop as if you use them over time then you'll build a relationship with them and they will learn to understand you and your needs. Also it helps to support small businesses.
Then I have to go for the Giant. They obviously don't sell the Carrera....
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

oaklec wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 10:31am The more you spend, the more you will be concerned about theft. The Giant and the Carrera are both perfectly capable for your needs just that the Carrera is cheaper.
YES! THIS! Also I think insurance would be a bit cheaper right on a cheaper bike?
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

SummitFreedom wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 10:33am
Sparky56 wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 10:29am I would suggest use the local bike shop as if you use them over time then you'll build a relationship with them and they will learn to understand you and your needs. Also it helps to support small businesses.
Yes, if you have concerns about your local Halfords then buy the Giant from your local bike shop, with the freebies that come with it and in the knowledge you can build a relationship with them and also that you are helping a local business - as was said previously

Regarding insurance, do you need insurance? What is the risk of someone breaking into your garage to steal what is a relatively low end bike when there will be many higher spec bikes in other peoples garages to tempt the would be thief?
Last edited by oaklec on 7 Jun 2023, 10:38am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynskey Peloton, Ron Cooper, Bates BAR, Yates Expedition, Dawes Sardar, Dawes Edge, Pashley Parabike, Dawes Clubman
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

Great that you have made a decision.

It will be better than mine - see attached -- this was on the day we did 80 miles along the canal du midi in france. bumpy bumpy bumpy.

also used this on MTB tracks in cairngorms.

looking forwards to some photographs of your adventures
IMG_8597.jpeg
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

Sparky56 wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 10:38am Great that you have made a decision.

It will be better than mine - see attached -- this was on the day we did 80 miles along the canal du midi in france. bumpy bumpy bumpy.

IMG_8597.jpeg
Hey Summit, check out the saddle on Sparkys bike, it has suspension springs :D
Lynskey Peloton, Ron Cooper, Bates BAR, Yates Expedition, Dawes Sardar, Dawes Edge, Pashley Parabike, Dawes Clubman
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

Apparently a common issue with Carrera's is that the spokes snap. Should I get the Giant instead?
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

IMG_8597.jpeg
So awesome. I will be filming my adventures on my gopro and uploading them to a youtube channel I plan to start!
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

oaklec wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 10:37am
SummitFreedom wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 10:33am
Yes, if you have concerns about your local Halfords then buy the Giant from your local bike shop, with the freebies that come with it and in the knowledge you can build a relationship with them and also that you are helping a local business - as was said previously

Regarding insurance, do you need insurance? What is the risk of someone breaking into your garage to steal what is a relatively low end bike when there will be many higher spec bikes in other peoples garages to tempt the would be thief?
Most of the reviews for bike repairs at my local halfords, are in fact very positive having now spent more time reading them...
Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

IMG_8597.jpeg
A great looking ride, custom Super U luggage as well.
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

"Most of the reviews for bike repairs at my local halfords, are in fact very positive having now spent more time reading them..."

Oh, now what?
Last edited by oaklec on 7 Jun 2023, 10:48am, edited 1 time in total.
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

found that the basket was more aerodynamic than our decathlon pannier and didn't get caught in the spokes.
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

SummitFreedom wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 10:40am Apparently a common issue with Carrera's is that the spokes snap. Should I get the Giant instead?
Where did you read that? Also, did you research whether Giant Roam 2 spokes are better or worse?

So what are you leaning towards? Giant or Carrera?
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

SummitFreedom wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 10:34am YES! THIS! Also I think insurance would be a bit cheaper right on a cheaper bike?
It doesn't work like that, it goes off price brackets (like "less than £1000" or "£1000-2000") and also where you live, how the bike is secured etc.

Honestly, the main points to look for are:
Does it fit?
Is it comfortable?
That's it - everything else is a long way down the list. Both bikes are capable enough for the riding you want to do.

God only knows where you're digging these reviews about tyres, spokes, pedals etc up from but they're not helping you.

I would quite honestly be walking into your local bike shop, pointing at the Giant and saying "I want that in a medium please." That's as complicated as it needs to be.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Summit

You explained in the previous thread that you sometimes find making choices very, very difficult, and were open about why, and I sense that this thread is going in precisely the same direction as that one, for precisely the same reasons.

I’m not sure what to suggest for the best, but if there is someone you trust who can help you with making choices in general, then this bike choice thing might be a good example to work on with them.

One thought to bear in mind is that you have already made a choice, you have chosen that you wish to buy a bike, rather than spend the same money on any one of a million other possible things. If you can make that choice (which I reckon everyone here will agree is a very good one!), then you, yourself, can make the choice of exactly which bike to buy.

Have faith in your ability to choose.

Kevin
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

Nearholmer wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 11:18am Summit

You explained in the previous thread that you sometimes find making choices very, very difficult, and were open about why, and I sense that this thread is going in precisely the same direction as that one, for precisely the same reasons.

I’m not sure what to suggest for the best, but if there is someone you trust who can help you with making choices in general, then this bike choice thing might be a good example to work on with them.

One thought to bear in mind is that you have already made a choice, you have chosen that you wish to buy a bike, rather than spend the same money on any one of a million other possible things. If you can make that choice (which I reckon everyone here will agree is a very good one!), then you, yourself, can make the choice of exactly which bike to buy.

Have faith in your ability to choose.

Kevin
Well said. Go Summit Go, flip that coin, make the decision and buy the bike of your choosing and post pictures back here of you out enjoying the Kent Countryside in summer.