Help choosing bicycle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
oaklec

Re: Help choosing bicycle

Post by oaklec »

Didn’t he also say there wasn’t much to choose between the giant and the carrera? Also that he would choose the Giant. How can the carrera be total crap if there isn’t much to choose between it and the Giant?
Lynskey Peloton, Ron Cooper, Bates BAR, Yates Expedition, Dawes Sardar, Dawes Edge, Pashley Parabike, Dawes Clubman
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

Summit - you could spend for ever going round and round with these details. Make a decision, stick with it, buy the bike and enjoy it.
The sun is out and the weather is so good that it seems a terrible shame to be wasting it in front of a computer screen. Any bike will be better than that. There are now 24 pages of discussion with you about this, 10 on this thread and 14 on the thread from december. I just don't think there's much more we can do to help you make a decision.
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

oaklec wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 4:29pm Didn’t he also say there wasn’t much to choose between the giant and the carrera? Also that he would choose the Giant. How can the carrera be total crap if there isn’t much to choose between it and the Giant?
He wrote in email that there isn't much to choose from. When I called him after that email, on the phone he said the Carrera is total crap and not to buy it.
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

SummitFreedom wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 4:45pm
oaklec wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 4:29pm Didn’t he also say there wasn’t much to choose between the giant and the carrera? Also that he would choose the Giant. How can the carrera be total crap if there isn’t much to choose between it and the Giant?
He wrote in email that there isn't much to choose from. When I called him after that email, on the phone he said the Carrera is total crap and not to buy it.
That should help you - because you had decided that you preferred the Giant anyway.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Sparky56 wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 4:39pm Summit - you could spend for ever going round and round with these details. Make a decision, stick with it, buy the bike and enjoy it.
The sun is out and the weather is so good that it seems a terrible shame to be wasting it in front of a computer screen. Any bike will be better than that. There are now 24 pages of discussion with you about this, 10 on this thread and 14 on the thread from december. I just don't think there's much more we can do to help you make a decision.
A huge +1 to all of that ^^
You're going round and round with tyre size and number of gears and suspension travel and weight, very little of which you know enough about to make an informed decision.

Pretty much any hybrid you buy will do what you want it to do at your level. The Giant you originally linked to is probably the best you'll find at this sort of price and is from a known/reliable local bike shop who'll probably help you out with route suggestions etc as well.

You can go round and round asking opinions - ask 10 people what bike to buy and you'll get 12 different answers. Make a choice - you're the one that has to ride it. Does it look nice? Does it fit? Can I afford it?

Job done.
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

What about a poll? Which bike should Summit buy?
Last edited by oaklec on 9 Jun 2023, 5:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynskey Peloton, Ron Cooper, Bates BAR, Yates Expedition, Dawes Sardar, Dawes Edge, Pashley Parabike, Dawes Clubman
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/h ... d-test-lab

However, suspension on a hybrid bike doesn’t do a particularly good job at its intended purpose. Telescopic suspension forks are notorious for suffering from stiction. This means a large initial force is needed to overcome the static friction of the fork in order for it to start to move through its travel.

Mountain bike versus hybrid: What's the difference?

Fox 32 Step-Cast
Super high-end forks (costing over £1,000) minimise this issue, but some degree of stiction is always present. Lower end forks, such as the ones that tend to be specced at a mid-range price point, tend to suffer from significant degree of stiction.

This isn’t too much of an issue for mountain bikes, which will be subjecting the forks to large enough hits to get the suspension to move through its travel. But for hybrid bikes and the high frequency - but small - bumps they’ll be hitting, the suspension will barely move and offer little in the way of cushioning.

Wider, more supple tyres combined with lower pressures is a far more effective way to improve comfort when travelling over smaller bumps and potholes. Added to that, without a suspension fork, the bike will be significantly lighter and also cheaper. Meaning you can either save some money or get a bike with better components for the same price.

- Thoughts? -
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

SummitFreedom wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 5:08pm https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/h ... d-test-lab

However, suspension on a hybrid bike doesn’t do a particularly good job at its intended purpose. Telescopic suspension forks are notorious for suffering from stiction. This means a large initial force is needed to overcome the static friction of the fork in order for it to start to move through its travel.

Fox 32 Step-Cast
Super high-end forks (costing over £1,000) minimise this issue, but some degree of stiction is always present. Lower end forks, such as the ones that tend to be specced at a mid-range price point, tend to suffer from significant degree of stiction.

This isn’t too much of an issue for mountain bikes, which will be subjecting the forks to large enough hits to get the suspension to move through its travel. But for hybrid bikes and the high frequency - but small - bumps they’ll be hitting, the suspension will barely move and offer little in the way of cushioning.

Wider, more supple tyres combined with lower pressures is a far more effective way to improve comfort when travelling over smaller bumps and potholes. Added to that, without a suspension fork, the bike will be significantly lighter and also cheaper. Meaning you can either save some money or get a bike with better components for the same price.

- Thoughts? -
My thought is you should buy the Giant and stop loooking at cycling websites
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

Sparky56 wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 5:11pm
SummitFreedom wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 5:08pm https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/h ... d-test-lab

Fox 32 Step-Cast

- Thoughts? -
My thought is you should buy the Giant and stop loooking at cycling websites
Me too
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

oaklec wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 5:13pm Me too
Me three
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

Sparky56 wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 5:11pm My thought is you should buy the Giant and stop loooking at cycling websites
I would rather save money and get the Carrera though.... Me cry. Money money money
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

Also that is very important... if the suspension offers no benefit as that article says, then why get it?
re_cycler

Post by re_cycler »

oaklec wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 5:06pm What about a poll? Which bike should Summit buy?
+ me four
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

SummitFreedom wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 4:26pm https://youtu.be/KEiv2D2V_j0?t=126

Isn't this guys bike the Cube Aim Race 2021 which I linked to?
He has 3 on his left gear selection thing which you can see in the video if you click it. Not 2.
But rareposter said ''Two chainrings at the front, 8 gears at the back.''

His is a mountain bike isn't it?

I think this is the latest version of the bike he bought: https://www.cube.eu/si-en/cube-aim-race ... ure/601400

It has 2.25inch tires and only weighs 14.3KG. Which I think is the same weight as the giant disc roam?
It has a 100mm suspension vs the roam with a 63mm suspension.
Also this please
re_cycler

Post by re_cycler »

That may not work well with your panniers for shopping 🤔