Help choosing bicycle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bonefishblues

Re: Help choosing bicycle

Post by Bonefishblues »

SummitFreedom wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 6:29pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 5:55pm Have you considered these?

https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/bikes/hyb ... 3UQAvD_BwE

Excellent cycles, light, very highly regarded, super colour - quite like grey but rather more exclusive, plenty of gear range for those hilly parts of the trails.
Deore is better than what Giant provide right? And this cycle has better tires than Giants right?

So isn't this a better cycle than the Giant?

Does it have less gears than the Giant and does that make it worse?

The single gear on the front makes things much easier and less maintenance I guess?

Looks decent in Bronze, but there is only 1 user photo of it.

Thanks
With your approx. budget and requirements it's what I would choose (indeed we have 2 Whytes in the family, for me and Mrs BF, so we do the money where mouth bit) If I was concerned to work to a lower budget, I'd be buying a Carrera and still feeling just fine about it.

This has every gear you're likely to need - most importantly it has low gears to get you up hills. More is better. Or more isn't. You call it. Lots and lots of people ride 1x and you won't find it lacking for your use IMHO.

At some point you will have to buy something. Or not. You call this one too. Perhaps this analysis is better than going for a ride? Dunno, but most on here would rather go and ride, but if not, here's another option to confuse you.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

SummitFreedom wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 7:06pm
oaklec wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 6:34pm It looks a really good bike for the money. Only downside I can see is that the tyres might be more for road use than for off road
Do you know the answers to the questions?
They don't, but fortunately I told you 3 mins previous - assuming this is about the tyres' capability?
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

Sizing might be an issue with the whyte. I am 174cm, which according to their site, puts me into a large.
I am apparently a medium with Giant.... so...

Nearest place with stock of the whyte is far far away. Too far.
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/ ... e-vs-giant

I know its from 2015, but what they are saying is to the OP not to get a hybrid with suspension as it only adds weight and to get a MTB instead.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

If you're really want to compare components here is a guide to the Shimano hierarchy of groupsets ( this is just a set of components mainly featuring the running gear ie wheel bearings, derailiers, brakes etc and can be a mixture of different levels of hierarchy even within the gear train ) posted by someone on here recently.

https://gearjunkie.com/biking/shimano-b ... -hierarchy

Get yourself acquainted with this ( and maybe sram stuff though I don't like the format myself ) it'll help you compare quality to a great extent although one thing you have to bear in mind, the higher and more expensive you go the lighter and more fragile the components can be. Check out which level groupsets touring bikes or audax bikes stop at.

I've found shimano 105 ( 11 speed road ) and XT Deore ( mountain bike ) very reliable and smooth while giving a wide range of gear ratios but wouldn't rule out a good 9 speed bike for it's good no messin gear changes only thing might be getting a low enough gear.
I am here. Where are you?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

SummitFreedom wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 7:25pm Sizing might be an issue with the whyte. I am 174cm, which according to their site, puts me into a large.
I am apparently a medium with Giant.... so...

Nearest place with stock of the whyte is far far away. Too far.
Then you need to buy something else but you've eliminated maybe 0.25% of cycles, so progress is being made :wink:
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

SummitFreedom wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 7:33pm https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/ ... e-vs-giant

I know its from 2015, but what they are saying is to the OP not to get a hybrid with suspension as it only adds weight and to get a MTB instead.
Lots of choices, too many choices. But you had a plan to test ride the giant and the carrera. Why not stick to that plan but also test ride a mountain bike from giant and / or carrera and see which you like?
Lynskey Peloton, Ron Cooper, Bates BAR, Yates Expedition, Dawes Sardar, Dawes Edge, Pashley Parabike, Dawes Clubman
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

SummitFreedom wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 7:33pm https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/ ... e-vs-giant

Excellent advice. Definitely follow this.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

oaklec wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 8:08pm

Lots of choices, too many choices. But you had a plan to test ride the giant and the carrera. Why not stick to that plan but also test ride a mountain bike from giant and / or carrera and see which you like?
I'm sure there's a better way than this.
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

The whyte looks an excellent bike but you are unlikely to order online for something that needs partial assembly
Lynskey Peloton, Ron Cooper, Bates BAR, Yates Expedition, Dawes Sardar, Dawes Edge, Pashley Parabike, Dawes Clubman
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

Bonefishblues wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 8:09pm

Any suggestions?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

oaklec wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 8:11pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 8:09pm

Any suggestions?
An internet search would assist, all the options are there, I'm sure.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

oaklec wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 8:10pm The whyte looks an excellent bike but you are unlikely to order online for something that needs partial assembly
Agree - and it's not compliant with Giant sizing.
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

And not forgetting Summit is looking for a bike that is capable of bimbling round the Kent countryside and popping to the shops. He has also mentioned south downs but I would think that is the next chapter in his cycling endeavours
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

Also just want to add that I want to avoid roads whenever I can. Road noise + very dangerous.