Help choosing bicycle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
SummitFreedom

Re: Help choosing bicycle

Post by SummitFreedom »

oaklec wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 10:56am
SummitFreedom wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 10:40am Apparently a common issue with Carrera's is that the spokes snap. Should I get the Giant instead?
Where did you read that? Also, did you research whether Giant Roam 2 spokes are better or worse?

So what are you leaning towards? Giant or Carrera?
I do not know how to research the Giant's spokes.

For the Carrera I read that on the listing on Halford's own site in a review and I also saw people writing it on other sites (can't remember right now, and I saw it on a youtube comment too I think):

A decent step up, but not without fault
8 months ago
I'd had a Carrera Parva for about 7 years when the crank broke in February.
Popped into my local store, spotted the Crossfire 3 and decided that was the bike for me.
Decent looking bike and well spec'd out.
Memory foam seat is a godsend compared to what came on my Parva.
I have been experiencing gear selection issues for a couple of months now, mostly trying to get up into 6th (will go into 7th and then down easily though).
Then today, while on a flat path, a front spoke randomly snapped and has buckled the front wheel. When it's working, good bike, but some niggles that come with it

So he got gear issues and a spoke snapped.

But damn Halfords offer unlimited gear, brake and puncture service and free parts fitting AND 6 Week Bronze Bike Service
We’ll adjust, align and lubricate Gears, Drivetrain and Brakes where necessary
for just £35 a month!

My local bike store charges £40 for the following:

Our Bronze service includes the following;

Cycle inspection & advisory
Adjust the gears – if required
Adjust the brakes – if required
Check the condition of and inflate tyres
Safety check (nuts, bolts & moving parts)

Lubrication applied to the drive train

Soooo hard to decide. I think I should test ride both cycles, it MIGHT help me decide.
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

Well, the Carrera is out of stock at your local store so why not pop in and test the Giant.
Lynskey Peloton, Ron Cooper, Bates BAR, Yates Expedition, Dawes Sardar, Dawes Edge, Pashley Parabike, Dawes Clubman
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

oaklec wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 11:24am Well, the Carrera is out of stock at your local store so why not pop in and test the Giant.
Because by the time the Carrera is in stock I would have forgotten how the giant felt I think. I can go and test ride it if i want. The guy asked if I want to test ride it last time I went in.

But he did seem bothered by me saying 'You have come in here many times before haven't you?'. I replied saying once, but he cut me off. He ALWAYS cuts me off. I HATE that.

I was going to explain that I came in once last year and once last week.

I have been in there a total of 3 times including that last time I went in. Had to go back as they didn't have the giant in a medium built. And the other guy who was in the store the 2nd time I went in last week, muttered that it's going to be effort to have to build the cycle.... they bought the cycle, it's in their stock.. surely they are going to have to build it at some point? His issue was also the shop is very small so they don't have space.
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

Also price wise, the service of halfords is SO much cheaper than my local bike shop. Unlimited adjustments! Mental. And free fittings
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

With all that in mind, are you leaning towards the Giant or the Carrera?

Not wishing to completely derail your thinking, but what was the bike of choice in the previous thread?
Lynskey Peloton, Ron Cooper, Bates BAR, Yates Expedition, Dawes Sardar, Dawes Edge, Pashley Parabike, Dawes Clubman
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

oaklec wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 11:38am With all that in mind, are you leaning towards the Giant or the Carrera?

Not wishing to completely derail your thinking, but what was the bike of choice in the previous thread?
Previous thread people were saying to get a pinncale. I went to evans and HATED it. It felt cheap. The guy working there told me there are better cycles for the money than the pinnacle. They had no selection for hardtails so I left.

I don't know.... it just seems SO much cheaper to get the Carrera. £120 cheaper for the bike + cheaper service.

But the Giant looks nicer and doesn't have the horrible orange sticker things whatever they are that are on the Carrera.

But the Giant will cost much more to get serviced as the cycle store does not offer a repair plan like Halfords do.

How often does hydraulic brake fluid need replacing?
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

SummitFreedom wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 12:19pm How often does hydraulic brake fluid need replacing?
Once every couple of years or so under normal / recreational use. It can be done at home with a couple of specific tools but in spite of being competent enough to do it myself, I give all my disc braked bikes to my local bike shop.

He's got the space, tools, expertise etc to do a proper job every time and even with my riding it's such an infrequent need to bleed them there's little point me having the little bleed kits lying around.
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

rareposter wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 12:22pm
SummitFreedom wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 12:19pm How often does hydraulic brake fluid need replacing?
Once every couple of years or so under normal / recreational use. It can be done at home with a couple of specific tools but in spite of being competent enough to do it myself, I give all my disc braked bikes to my local bike shop.

He's got the space, tools, expertise etc to do a proper job every time and even with my riding it's such an infrequent need to bleed them there's little point me having the little bleed kits lying around.
Halfords replaces the brake fluid in just 6 months:

You’ll also get a Bronze service at 6 weeks, a Silver service at 6 months and a Silver service at 12 months. The Silver service includes both brakes being bled. Available on all new Halfords bikes (with hydraulic brakes) which cost up to £499.99/ €599.99. Our great value servicing will keep your bike running smoothly, ensuring a comfortable ride.

Isn't that a bit early to replace the fluid?

Also what to do? Carrera or Giant? Aghhhh
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

SummitFreedom wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 12:34pm
rareposter wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 12:22pm

Halfords replaces the brake fluid in just 6 months:

You’ll also get a Bronze service at 6 weeks, a Silver service at 6 months and a Silver service at 12 months. The Silver service includes both brakes being bled. Available on all new Halfords bikes (with hydraulic brakes) which cost up to £499.99/ €599.99. Our great value servicing will keep your bike running smoothly, ensuring a comfortable ride.

Isn't that a bit early to replace the fluid?

Also what to do? Carrera or Giant? Aghhhh
Flip a coin three times - Heads for Giant, tails for Carrera then go buy the winner. Did you know, a friend of mine bought a new car just because he liked the colour..... can you imagine? :D
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

oaklec wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 12:38pm Flip a coin three times - Heads for Giant, tails for Carrera then go buy the winner. Did you know, a friend of mine bought a new car just because he liked the colour..... can you imagine? :D
But.. seriously. Financially the bike from Halfords is MUCH cheaper. Like... a lot.

Herberts charge £7 just to fit a pannier and those prices havent been updated on their website, so it's likely more. And they charge £26 for replacing the brake fluid and it does not seem to be included with any of their repair services, and again its likely higher.

Your friend must be rich, I'm not :P
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

SummitFreedom wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 12:48pm
oaklec wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 12:38pm Flip a coin three times - Heads for Giant, tails for Carrera then go buy the winner. Did you know, a friend of mine bought a new car just because he liked the colour..... can you imagine? :D
But.. seriously. Financially the bike from Halfords is MUCH cheaper. Like... a lot.

Herberts charge £7 just to fit a pannier and those prices havent been updated on their website, so it's likely more. And they charge £26 for replacing the brake fluid and it does not seem to be included with any of their repair services, and again its likely higher.

Your friend must be rich, I'm not :P
The Halfords prices and level of service do look good, £80 for three years of repairs and servicing and 10% off all parts and accessories. However, depending on how frequently you ride, you may not need a service package and it could be better to just get the bike repaired as and when required.

Money aside, which bike do you prefer? If you factor in owning the bike for 5 years or more the price difference doesn't work out that much
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

oaklec wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 1:01pm The Halfords prices and level of service do look good, £80 for three years of repairs and servicing and 10% off all parts and accessories. However, depending on how frequently you ride, you may not need a service package and it could be better to just get the bike repaired as and when required.

Money aside, which bike do you prefer? If you factor in owning the bike for 5 years or more the price difference doesn't work out that much
Doesn't brake fluid 'go off' and so has to be replaced within a certain time anyway?
Look wise I prefer the Giant from the photos. But I think I should test ride both first.

Actually what I REALLY love is the concrete colour giant sell, but sadly and weirdly, they only sell it on the fully rigid Escape model. I mean W-T-F Giant?!

I also really love the look of the Cube cycle this guy bought. Love the metallic grey. Not too dark like most grey's: https://youtu.be/KEiv2D2V_j0?t=79
That link will take you straight to the right time stamp too.

Love the look of the bike too, though not keen on the orange.

I would like to ride at least 4 times a week.
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

As mentioned by rareposter, brake fluid should be ok for a couple of years before it needs changing.

It sounds like you have made a decision in that you prefer the Giant to the Carrera.

The colour of the cube is nice but as you say, the orange does clash a bit
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

oaklec wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 1:25pm As mentioned by rareposter, brake fluid should be ok for a couple of years before it needs changing.

It sounds like you have made a decision in that you prefer the Giant to the Carrera.

The colour of the cube is nice but as you say, the orange does clash a bit
That cube also seems to be discontinued and in it's place is an all black affair. And no one sells Cube cycles in the UK it seems. Those that do sell only electric ones or very expensive ones and very limited selection of them too.

Any other cycle that has a nice colour for the price of the Giant?

Also a review on the Carrera says that the colour shown on the website is NOT the colour you will get. The colour you will get is darker he says
Last edited by SummitFreedom on 7 Jun 2023, 1:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

what colour is the Giant you're looking at?