Help choosing bicycle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Sparky56

Re: Help choosing bicycle

Post by Sparky56 »

oaklec wrote: 6 Jun 2023, 5:44pm Sounds like the Carrera in a medium would be perfect
I agree - the Carrera in medium would be a perfect choice.
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

Sparky56 wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 6:54am
oaklec wrote: 6 Jun 2023, 5:44pm Sounds like the Carrera in a medium would be perfect
I agree - the Carrera in medium would be a perfect choice.
Why. And can I do long routes like South downs way and north downs way on this cycle? I would avoid harder bits that require a MTB if I know which parts to avoid.
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

This says that the tires that come on the carrera are garbage and need to be replaced with tires that cost £25 each.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/tyres ... id.260412/

Also I read elsewhere that the pedals are crap too, not gripping shoes. So they would need to be replaced too.

So in that case, does the Giant have tires that won't puncture easily like the ones that come on the carrera? And are the pedals good on the giant?

As it stands, the carrera requires £50 of tires + I am guessing £50-£60 on new pedals outright. And that is just from the research I have done so far
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

SummitFreedom wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 9:25am This says that the tires that come on the carrera are garbage and need to be replaced with tires that cost £25 each.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/tyres ... id.260412/

Also I read elsewhere that the pedals are crap too, not gripping shoes. So they would need to be replaced too.

So in that case, does the Giant have tires that won't puncture easily like the ones that come on the carrera? And are the pedals good on the giant?

As it stands, the carrera requires £50 of tires + I am guessing £50-£60 on new pedals outright. And that is just from the research I have done so far
I suspect the tyres are pretty much like for like between the two bikes. Also, who is to say it's the pedals that are crap at gripping shoes and not the shoes that are crap at gripping pedals?

The reason for me suggesting the Carrera is that it is a well specced bike for the price and that it should be capable enough for your cycling needs. The other factor is that it is relatively cheap so you can store it in your garage or prop it up against a tree whilst having a nap in the sun without too much risk of someone stealing it. Since the previous thread you have made a great decision that you want suspension forks and in this thread that you need a medium sized bike. I'll step away now and check back in three months or so to see what else has been decided.
Lynskey Peloton, Ron Cooper, Bates BAR, Yates Expedition, Dawes Sardar, Dawes Edge, Pashley Parabike, Dawes Clubman
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

SummitFreedom wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 9:25am This says that the tires that come on the carrera are garbage and need to be replaced with tires that cost £25 each.
Not really, you just ride them til they're worn out then buy new ones. Most tyres and pedals on most cheap bikes are the same, they're essentially disposable items because the people buying bikes at that level aren't really discerning enough to know or care about the difference between a £15 tyre and a £40 tyre.
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

oaklec wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 9:58am I suspect the tyres are pretty much like for like between the two bikes. Also, who is to say it's the pedals that are crap at gripping shoes and not the shoes that are crap at gripping pedals?

The reason for me suggesting the Carrera is that it is a well specced bike for the price and that it should be capable enough for your cycling needs. The other factor is that it is relatively cheap so you can store it in your garage or prop it up against a tree whilst having a nap in the sun without too much risk of someone stealing it. Since the previous thread you have made a great decision that you want suspension forks and in this thread that you need a medium sized bike. I'll step away now and check back in three months or so to see what else has been decided.
Will I be able to take the Carrera on long adventures like North Downs Way and South Downs Way? (We are talking 150 miles and longer)

Thanks, and yes I decided I want suspension. :)

Also if I buy the Carrera, should I buy the Halfords service plan, or should I get the cycle serviced at my local bike shop? They (local bike shop) will likely be upset that I bought a cycle from elsewhere now that I have visited them 3 times. And perhaps they wont do a good job fixing my cycle on purpose because of that?

In the previous thread from like 5 months ago or so, I was told that never let Halfords build or service your bike?
Last edited by SummitFreedom on 7 Jun 2023, 10:18am, edited 1 time in total.
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

SummitFreedom wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 10:14am
oaklec wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 9:58am I suspect the tyres are pretty much like for like between the two bikes. Also, who is to say it's the pedals that are crap at gripping shoes and not the shoes that are crap at gripping pedals?

Will I be able to take the Carrera on long adventures like North Downs Way and South Downs Way? (We are talking 150 miles and longer)

Hey, I've stepped away for a few months... Why are you asking me questions?

Yes, the bike will take you as far as your legs can pedal it. People have ridden those routes on far less capable bikes.
Lynskey Peloton, Ron Cooper, Bates BAR, Yates Expedition, Dawes Sardar, Dawes Edge, Pashley Parabike, Dawes Clubman
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

oaklec wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 10:16am

Yes, the bike will take you as far as your legs can pedal it. People have ridden those routes on far less capable bikes.
Don't go mister. Please. Also I edited that last message and added more, please do read and reply. Thank you kindly sir
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

SummitFreedom wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 10:14am

Yes of course you will be able to ride the Carrera on long adventures such as the South Downs way. It will be a lot of fun.

I've ridden a far less well specified bike around the Cairngorms which is rocky and bumpy. It was great fun. yes the mountain bikers zoomed past me etc, but that didn't matter as we still had lots of fun (the bike is a fully rigid ridgeback velocity with 35mm commuting tyres)

Carrera seems like a really good choice
Last edited by Sparky56 on 7 Jun 2023, 10:25am, edited 1 time in total.
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

Is the Giant not that much better than the Carrera then? So the giant is not worth an extra £120?

Carrera is £455. Giant on tredz is £575 after additional first time buyer discount.

OR if I buy from my local store, I get about £80 worth of 'free' gear and the bike shop gives 1 free service on new bike purchases. Cost then for the giant from my local bike shop is £699
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

Sparky56 wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 10:20am Yes of course you will be able to ride the Carrera on long adventures such as the South Downs way. It will be a lot of fun.

I've ridden a far less well specified bike around the Cairngorms which is rocky and bumpy. It was great fun. yes the mountain bikers zoomed past me etc, but that didn't matter. We got round..... I will see if I can find a photograph....

Carrera seems like a really good choice
Thanks, please do read the previous message that Oak replied to, as I added more stuff that I hope you can answer. Appreciate everyones help
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

SummitFreedom wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 10:19am
oaklec wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 10:16am

Don't go mister. Please. Also I edited that last message and added more, please do read and reply. Thank you kindly sir
Halfords did once have the reputation of not being great at assembling or servicing bikes. I doubt that is still the case given that they service cars, will come out and fit car tyres and batteries and bulbs at your home or place of work. I suspect that halfords bike mechanics are now qualified to the right level but I do not have actual experience of that. Maybe look for RECENT halfords reviews of your local branch
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

I would suggest use the local bike shop as if you use them over time then you'll build a relationship with them and they will learn to understand you and your needs. Also it helps to support small businesses.
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

SummitFreedom wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 10:22am Is the Giant not that much better than the Carrera then? So the giant is not worth an extra £120?

Carrera is £455. Giant on tredz is £575 after additional first time buyer discount.

OR if I buy from my local store, I get about £80 worth of 'free' gear and the bike shop gives 1 free service on new bike purchases. Cost then for the giant from my local bike shop is £699
The more you spend, the more you will be concerned about theft. The Giant and the Carrera are both perfectly capable for your needs just that the Carrera is cheaper.
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

oaklec wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 10:26am Halfords did once have the reputation of not being great at assembling or servicing bikes. I doubt that is still the case given that they service cars, will come out and fit car tyres and batteries and bulbs at your home or place of work. I suspect that halfords bike mechanics are now qualified to the right level but I do not have actual experience of that. Maybe look for RECENT halfords reviews of your local branch
I called my local Halfords today to ask about stock of the crossfire 3. Spoke to a guy called Jonathon who was a total ass. Anyhow I gave him my details for when the bike comes back into stock this week or next week so I can test ride it.

Also now that you said that (to check google reviews), I did and this worries me:

Joanna Siudak
1 review
a month ago
Unprofessional and unhelpful staff. I lost my time. I returned bike!!!

Because this is exactly how I felt about Jonathon.

Looking to buy a cycle within 2 weeks now. I am sooo excited!