Help choosing bicycle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
SummitFreedom

Re: Help choosing bicycle

Post by SummitFreedom »

Sparky56 wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 1:29pm what colour is the Giant you're looking at?
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/roam-disc-2

Only one colour: Colours - Charcoal

Darker than the Cube colour
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

https://youtu.be/XSDyCq1IT9c?t=27

That appears to be the colour the Carrera comes in
re_cycler

Post by re_cycler »

If you have a enjoyable summer on the Giant I'm sure that you won't be worrying about that extra cost. I'd fully expect a local bike shop to be very open to sorting out any little niggles or tweaks you want after your first rides and then maybe negotiating a better price for your first services.
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

SummitFreedom wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 1:32pm
Sparky56 wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 1:29pm what colour is the Giant you're looking at?
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/roam-disc-2

Only one colour: Colours - Charcoal

Darker than the Cube colour
nice colour. similar to my bike!
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

re_cycler wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 1:37pm If you have a enjoyable summer on the Giant I'm sure that you won't be worrying about that extra cost. I'd fully expect a local bike shop to be very open to sorting out any little niggles or tweaks you want after your first rides and then maybe negotiating a better price for your first services.
They offer one free Bronze service with all new bikes.
They will not offer a cheaper service.
This is their service list: https://www.herbertscycles.co.uk/workshop/

This is their extra stuff price list which may be outdated and prices may be higher: http://herbertscycles.co.uk/2017/wp-con ... enance.pdf

The money saved with initial purchase of the Carrera I could use for accessories like a pannier, a special bag designed for the pannier, HUGE pannier side bags for grocery hauls, etc.

I think I'm just gonna have to wait till the Carrera comes back in stock which should be this week or next, and Herbets is closed on Wed and Sun, so have to wait for them to be open to test ride the Giant, assuming it hasn't already sold.

Test riding both on the same day, if that will be possible, should give me a better idea which I want.
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybrid-b ... 66022.html

Looks decent. I know nothing about specs about bikes, so how does this compare with the Carrera and Giant?

Why is the service plan more expensive for this bike?
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

SummitFreedom wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 2:00pm https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybrid-b ... 66022.html

Looks decent. I know nothing about specs about bikes, so how does this compare with the Carrera and Giant?

Service plans are where they make their money. Very few people need unlimited puncture repairs or gear fixing, but it *sounds* good. You could pay £60 for a year of "unlimited servicing" and then it needs one service after a few weeks ( every shop offers a free first service after 6-8 weeks) and you never need to take it back. In which case you e wasted £60.

The same happens on car warranties, computer "after sales" - they get loads of commission for selling these service packages knowing it's an easy sell and that very few people ever use even a fraction of that value.

It also doesn't include parts so if you break a wheel (for example) and need a new one, you'll still be paying full price for a new wheel and they'll just fit it for free. But most shops will fit a wheel for free of you buy it from them...

Service plans are almost never worth it.
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

Just looked at the Herbert’s website and the reviews of it on google maps.

4.9 stars averaged over 90 reviews
website looks professional

looks like the kind of shop i would trust. over halfords any day.
Last edited by Sparky56 on 7 Jun 2023, 2:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

SummitFreedom wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 2:00pm https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybrid-b ... 66022.html

Tyres seem a bit narrow compared to the others
Lynskey Peloton, Ron Cooper, Bates BAR, Yates Expedition, Dawes Sardar, Dawes Edge, Pashley Parabike, Dawes Clubman
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

I will try the Carrera then the Giant and get back to ya'll. Thanks
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

Sparky56 wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 2:34pm Just looked at the Herbert’s website and the reviews of it on google maps.

4.9 stars averaged over 90 reviews
website looks professional

looks like the kind of shop i would trust. over halfords any day.
Bit odd that they have been in business since 1939 and they only have 90 reviews... ?
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

rareposter wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 2:16pm

Service plans are where they make their money. Very few people need unlimited puncture repairs or gear fixing, but it *sounds* good. You could pay £60 for a year of "unlimited servicing" and then it needs one service after a few weeks ( every shop offers a free first service after 6-8 weeks) and you never need to take it back. In which case you e wasted £60.

The same happens on car warranties, computer "after sales" - they get loads of commission for selling these service packages knowing it's an easy sell and that very few people ever use even a fraction of that value.

It also doesn't include parts so if you break a wheel (for example) and need a new one, you'll still be paying full price for a new wheel and they'll just fit it for free. But most shops will fit a wheel for free of you buy it from them...

Service plans are almost never worth it.
Ah ok good to know. I won't bother with it (service plan) then. Thanks.... but hang on. NEVER need to take it back?! Cycles need periodic servicing surely?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

With access to the expertise in this forum I wouldn't pay much attention to online "reviews" with unknown provenance.

Jonathan
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

SummitFreedom wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 2:59pm Thanks.... but hang on. NEVER need to take it back?! Cycles need periodic servicing surely?
Yes they do but one basic service a year costs less than a Halfords service plan, much of which you will never use. Have a look at what's included - things like "fit new brake cables".

Well that's irrelevant because the bike has hydraulic disc brakes, no cables to change.
Some of their descriptions sound good like "headset". What that translates to is "check headset, it'll be fine" (30 seconds work) or "check headset, it's a fraction loose, tighten two bolts" (maybe nearly a minute's work!)

Service plans like that are just an easy money maker, no customer ever uses anywhere close to the full value of it and it's more economical to get basic stuff done as and when required.
SummitFreedom

Post by SummitFreedom »

rareposter wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 3:19pm
SummitFreedom wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 2:59pm Thanks.... but hang on. NEVER need to take it back?! Cycles need periodic servicing surely?
Yes they do but one basic service a year costs less than a Halfords service plan, much of which you will never use. Have a look at what's included - things like "fit new brake cables".

Well that's irrelevant because the bike has hydraulic disc brakes, no cables to change.
Some of their descriptions sound good like "headset". What that translates to is "check headset, it'll be fine" (30 seconds work) or "check headset, it's a fraction loose, tighten two bolts" (maybe nearly a minute's work!)

Service plans like that are just an easy money maker, no customer ever uses anywhere close to the full value of it and it's more economical to get basic stuff done as and when required.
Oh looking at the Herberts pricing, do you think their prices are fair? Also is hydraulic brake service not going to be included in any of the service levels, and will I have to pay for it separately?

Is the Halfords 3 year service plan for the Carerra Crossfire 3 @ £80 not worth it then?

CycleCare for 3 Years With Hydraulic Brakes - £80
Keep the good times going with our new CycleCare for 3 Years With Hydraulic Brakes. Simply pay a one-off fee either when you collect your new bike, or up to 6 weeks after purchase, and you'll be covered for 3 years. This incredible value service bundle covers unlimited inner tube replacement on all inner tube replacement on all punctures', brake and gear adjustments, fitting on all parts, plus an initial safety check and a more thorough service each year.

You’ll also get a Bronze service at 6 weeks, a Silver service at 6 months and a Silver service every 12 months. The Silver service includes both brakes being bled. Available on all new Halfords bikes (with hydraulic brakes) which cost up to £499.99/ €599.99. Our great value servicing will keep your bike running smoothly, ensuring a comfortable ride.
What's Included:
Unlimited inner tube replacement on all punctures
Unlimited brake & gear adjustments
6 week Bronze service
6 month Silver service
Annual Silver service
Free parts & accessories fitting
10% off parts for the life of the plan - includes inner tubes, chains, and cassettes (in store only)
10% off accessories when you buy your bike (in store only)