One rule for some and another for others

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Biospace

Re: One rule for some and another for others

Post by Biospace »

briansnail wrote: 30 May 2023, 11:50am What stops everyone from getting zero emitting electric vehicles? Cost.MP'S are rich .A lot of them will be driving electric cars as seen as cool.Zero congestion charge.
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage.
T'would be remiss of me not to point out that only one use of the word 'zero' is accurate. EVs are not 'zero emission', far from it.

You can buy a Leaf for not a lot, relatively - under £5000 is possible for something which would work well within London. There are other BEVs which are even cheaper, such as the G-Wiz.
Last edited by Biospace on 30 May 2023, 12:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
PH

Post by PH »

axel_knutt wrote: 28 May 2023, 11:46am There was a bit on the radio this morning which is a case in point: private jets. They're about 10 times more damaging than scheduled flights apparently, and a pundit was agreeing that they should be banned except for those that are 'reasonable and necessary'. Good luck with that one. :lol: Presumably he has in mind a ministry that vets applications and issues permits to travel?
France has made steps in that direction, no domestic flights if the journey can be completed by train in 2.5 hours. Of course they have a high speed railway network to make that a possibility. They haven't banned private jets yet, but the hope is public opinion will sway some users.
https://www.euronews.com/green/2022/12/ ... -proposals
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Psamathe wrote: 29 May 2023, 2:26pm Or Prime Ministers who seem addicted to private helicopter trips (normally taxpayer funded) even when there are more that adequate, practical trains running (where security is not an issue given that other PMs haven't had to make such extensive use of private helicopter trips).

But I guess once a PM gets used to a multi-millionaire lifestyle it becomes easy to expect everybody else to make the sacrifices to address climate change and one's multiple millions exempt you from needing to even consider Climate Change (or taxpayer money).

Ian
Hear hear!

The helicopter trips are just soooo tone-deaf, I think he just has no idea there is anything wrong with them ...
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

PH wrote: 30 May 2023, 12:37pm France has made steps in that direction, no domestic flights if the journey can be completed by train in 2.5 hours. Of course they have a high speed railway network to make that a possibility. They haven't banned private jets yet, but the hope is public opinion will sway some users.
What is more important, the speed at which you travel or how long a journey takes? France is a very much larger country than ours so their high speed rail makes sense. Travelling by rail around the UK may seem slow, but it's interesting to compare our 'slow' network with theirs.

Paris to Montpellier times are similar to times between the English and Scottish capital cities, London to Plymouth or Newcastle takes a similar time as from Paris to Calais, Nantes or Strasbourg. Nice to Bordeaux takes nearly 10 hours by train.

It's good to hear the French are progressing in restricting use of private jets, 4.5 hours by rail would seem an entirely reasonable figure.
harriedgary

Post by harriedgary »

PH wrote: 30 May 2023, 12:37pm
axel_knutt wrote: 28 May 2023, 11:46am There was a bit on the radio this morning which is a case in point: private jets. They're about 10 times more damaging than scheduled flights apparently, and a pundit was agreeing that they should be banned except for those that are 'reasonable and necessary'. Good luck with that one. :lol: Presumably he has in mind a ministry that vets applications and issues permits to travel?
France has made steps in that direction, no domestic flights if the journey can be completed by train in 2.5 hours. Of course they have a high speed railway network to make that a possibility. They haven't banned private jets yet, but the hope is public opinion will sway some users.
https://www.euronews.com/green/2022/12/ ... -proposals
The annoying thing though about French rail is not just the frequent strikes, frequent breakdowns, and poor service other than on the principle routes, but that they charge the earth for reservations. Yes, we have to reserve a seat on a plane. But it tends to be far more transparent and quick to do so, compared to a ticket with SNCF. my 2C
Bored with earth, where is the mother ship please?
PH

Post by PH »

Biospace wrote: 30 May 2023, 1:46pm What is more important, the speed at which you travel or how long a journey takes?
Important to who?
We'll all have an idea about what makes any method of travel viable, for me neither time or speed are high priorities, within reason. Value, comfort, convenience, timetable are all higher considerations. We're not going to offer options that please everyone, I don't think the French have magically come up with a solution, I do think they've made a step in the right direction.