you tube channel cycling safety

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
anniesboy

you tube channel cycling safety

Post by anniesboy »

https://www.youtube.com/@AshleyNeal-JustCycling/videos

Ashley Neal is a driving instructor, his intention is to make cyclist and drivers more safety aware
DevonDamo

Re: you tube channel cycling safety

Post by DevonDamo »

anniesboy wrote: 29 May 2023, 8:51am https://www.youtube.com/@AshleyNeal-JustCycling/videos

Ashley Neal is a driving instructor, his intention is to make cyclist and drivers more safety aware
I've watched a load of YouTube videos that this guy has published from his work as a driving instructor, and I'm not exactly thrilled at the prospect of him becoming a high-profile 'spokesman' for cycling. In my view, his approach is to be a stickler for (his interpretation of) the highway code, but when it comes to the 'soft skills' such as resolving mistakes and misunderstandings, he hasn't got a clue, and a cynic might even suspect him of cashing in on the ensuing confrontations via his YouTube channels. Here's one example of the sort of thing I mean: in the following clip (the 'action' is from 6.16 to 15.25) he instructs his student to push on through a single lane in roadworks, despite the fact that it's blocked by oncoming traffic. Although he went through an amber light, his student wasn't responsible for the problem - the main culprit appears to be the oncoming car that has probably jumped a red light. However, Ashley's attempts to 'manage' this situation result in absolute chaos. He steadfastly refuses to acknowledge that an impossible situation has now been created or to consider the possibility that the only sane way to resolve it would (because he's barely got into the roadworks) be to give up his 'right of way' and pull over to allow the oncoming traffic to get clear of the roadworks. Instead of cooperating with other drivers to come up with a resolution, his priority is telling people why he thinks they're in the wrong. In certain circumstances, intransigence can serve a purpose (educating reckless road users that they can't just push through every situation) but creating a disaster like this is madness.

TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Although I’m a fan of most of Ashley’s driving videos (except the one above, where I agree that he makes a bad situation worse by refusing to reverse in the face of oncoming traffic through roadworks), he does have some very fixed ideas about cycling, the worst being an insistence that cyclists should always wear hi-Viz clothing. He mostly drives a Black BMW, and doesn’t see the irony in that, when I pointed it out to him.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
awavey

Post by awavey »

I dont think the reach from his videos make him that influential, even if it excites some of cycling twitter folk on social media. I certainly dont always agree with his takes, especially on cycling he has a very vehicular approach to it, but he does have some useful things to say that are worth taking on board if you want to drive or ride more safely. there are plenty of other self appointed cycling experts out there doing stuff for likes, clicks and cashing in on it.

fwiw I dont think he was that out of order in that roadworks video, unless the traffic lights at the other end are broken, theres no way any of that traffic passed a green light, so what can you do ? but then I can be quite bolshy sometimes and Im often of the opinion Ill happily waste more of other peoples time to make a point in situations like that they really didnt save anything by not waiting for a only few seconds.