Ordnance Survey Maps - alternative app recommendation pls

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sparky56

Ordnance Survey Maps - alternative app recommendation pls

Post by Sparky56 »

Please can anyone recommend me an app that displays the ordnance survey apps? an alternative to the official one.

I am looking for an alternative to the official app as I am finding it rather unreliable and limiting in functions. I’ve had a subscription to the official app for a few years now and I’m getting a bit fed up with it.

the main reason for wanting another app is It often takes ages to display the map - seems particularly bad in an area with poor internet in which I’ve downloaded the map offline

A second consideration for an alternate app is one that doesn’t harvest too much personal data whilst I’m using it, and has a good variety of alternative layers

thanks ever so much! The ordnance survey mapping is excellent but I really would like an alternative way to display it.
pwa

Re: Ordnance Survey Maps - alternative app recommendation pls

Post by pwa »

I know it isn't what you asked for (an app), but if money were no object, the most reliable way of having GPS OS mapping in all conditions is this:
https://outdoorgpsshop.co.uk/product/satmap-active-20/
A bit of a lump on the handlebars, but a great thing to have when you are out in the sticks.

I have an earlier version, which is harder to read in sunshine. Battery life is huge, and if you do run out you can always take out the li pol battery and pop in your emergency pack of four AA batteries to get you through a few more hours. I agree withyour asses]ssment of the OS app. Great when it works. Fortunately I enjoy the occasional challenge of navigating by instinct and the position of the sun :lol:
sjs

Post by sjs »

If you're on Android, there's an app called Maverick which has OS maps among its options. And they can be downloaded in advance, for offline use later.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Please could you add a bit more about what you want the app to do... moving dot, route management, work without network access... planning, cycling, walking...

... and which OS it needs to run on?

Thanks

Jonathan
rjb

Post by rjb »

Don't forget Bikehike. The forums favourite. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

Jdsk wrote: 30 May 2023, 8:27am Please could you add a bit more about what you want the app to do... moving dot, route management, work without network access... planning, cycling, walking...

... and which OS it needs to run on?

Thanks

Jonathan
1) I would like it to do what the OS app does (important must work without network access) but actually work reliably.
2) iOS and web browser
3) for hiking and cycling mainly
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks.

I'm looking for something similar.

Here's their own description of the features of the OS Maps app:
https://shop.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/apps/ ... mapcompare

Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 10.47.22.png

Jonathan
pwa

Post by pwa »

I am about as untechy as a person can get, but apparently the OS app has a facility for downloading a map area when you have signal or wifi, to be used when you enter the mapped area and find you have no signal. I must give that a go.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I have the OS map app, and a couple of gripes

- they've recently changed the onroad cycle routing algorithm and it's gone from being excellent to useless, so keen to avoid anything like a major road it puts in ridiculous long hilly detours

- the download speed can be very slow for no obvious reason. Again, this seems to be a recent change.

On the of taking ages to display offline, two things seemed to improve it for me

1. Turn your phone to flight mode, so it doesn't try to connect on a slow connection but reverts direct to the offline. I think that solved it.

2. Reduce the number of offline maps you have.

Removing and reinstalling an app often helps to improve performance.

Gripes notwithstanding, its the best option I've found. Interested to hear of others.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

pwa wrote: 30 May 2023, 11:01am I am about as untechy as a person can get, but apparently the OS app has a facility for downloading a map area when you have signal or wifi, to be used when you enter the mapped area and find you have no signal. I must give that a go.
Yes, it does. I always do this if our for a long day so I can leave my phone on flight mode which preserves battery.
pwa

Post by pwa »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 30 May 2023, 11:04am
pwa wrote: 30 May 2023, 11:01am I am about as untechy as a person can get, but apparently the OS app has a facility for downloading a map area when you have signal or wifi, to be used when you enter the mapped area and find you have no signal. I must give that a go.
Yes, it does. I always do this if our for a long day so I can leave my phone on flight mode which preserves battery.
Just tried it on my cheapo Android phone. It took a couple of minutes to download a few square kms, but the map was easy to use when I went to it. It still panned in through the map scales as normal.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

pwa wrote: 30 May 2023, 11:41am
roubaixtuesday wrote: 30 May 2023, 11:04am
Just tried it on my cheapo Android phone. It took a couple of minutes to download a few square kms, but the map was easy to use when I went to it. It still panned in through the map scales as normal.
Yup, generally works well. Download is limited to a certain size, but if you plot a route, eg for a century ride, you can download the entire map for it regardless. Download speed seems highly variable now, sometimes near instant, sometimes so slow as to be impossible, all regardless of Internet speed. At least for me.
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

thanks all. I’ve tried all the above. Had the app abut 5 years, used extensively .Yes those tips work to a greater or lesser extent, some of the time….., but I’m now fed up with the app and looking elswhere -
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

Jdsk wrote: 30 May 2023, 10:51am Thanks.

I'm looking for something similar.

Here's their own description of the features of the OS Maps app:
https://shop.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/apps/ ... mapcompare

Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 10.47.22.png

Jonathan
The features are correct but the app’s too unreliable for me
F70100

Post by F70100 »

Not sure if it's available for Android, but for iOS, you might have a look at the "OutDoors GB" app. Can't recall if the annual sub is £15 or £20 for the year but for that you get fully downloadable OS maps at 1:50000 and 1:25000, and you can overlay gpx routes onto them, amongst other things. It runs in conjunction with outdoorsgps.com.

Hope that helps.