What have I done wrong

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
daddig

What have I done wrong

Post by daddig »

After my freehub failed I fitted a new one, complete with new cones bearings and spindle.
Carefully set the cones so that the wheel spins freely with no perceptible play in the spindle. However after refitting the cassette etc. The chain now slips and hangs loosely when I pedal backwards. Hub/freehub is a Shimano 105
Mike G
TheBomber

Re: What have I done wrong

Post by TheBomber »

Are you able to turn the freehub body/cassette anti-clockwise - in other words, is it just stiff or locked solid? And (accepting that answering this will probably be a pain) - can you turn the freehub body when it is not bolted to the hub shell?
daddig

Post by daddig »

Yes the free hub does turn in place and the freehub body turned before I fitted it. The freehub body is brand new, arrived in the post today from SJS.
After I asked this question I checked the wheel and it moves, this being after I'd tightened the cones on the work bench. At which time there was no discernible movement at the hub of the spindle. Would it be feasible that the drive side cone is fouling the outer seal?
I fitted the free hub with the spacer supplied to the hub.
Mike G
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

This is making me think that either the FH body is faulty (too tight) or at least one of the new parts isn’t exactly the right model/has not been been assembled correctly. Have you been able to find the exploded view diagram on the si.shimano site for your exact model hub? This should list the part numbers and indicate where spacers etc should be located. Some FH bodies have a washer behind them - but IME only MTB ones.

You may need to reassemble without any seals to see whether that is the issue.
daddig

Post by daddig »

Hi
I'll try tomorrow without the seal and see what happens.
All of the parts I used freehub, cones and spindle are correct as far as I can tell. They were all ordered together and listed as suitable for the 105 Freehub.
The spacer fitted goes between the body and the hub shell and was part of the freehub package.
Thanks for your help..
Mike G
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

When you have it apart, unbolt the FH body and see it the resistance to freewheeling changes according to whether it is located in the hub or just held in your hands.

Which model of 105 hub is it? The model number will begin 'FH-'
slowster

Post by slowster »

The only 105 freehub body I see listed by SJS is the 5800 series model. 5800 series 105 is an 11 speed groupset, and the freehub bodies are wider than those on the previous 105 groupsets, which were 10 speeds or fewer.

Is the cassette lockring touching the inside face of the dropout or the stays? That might account for the freehub not rotating properly, and might happen if an 11 speed freehub body were fitted onto a 10 speed hub shell.
daddig

Post by daddig »

No the cassette lock ring doesn't foul the drop out.
The freehub is a replacement supplied by SJS
to suit a hub supplied by them. It is a ten speed Tiagra.
Last edited by daddig on 31 May 2023, 7:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G
daddig

Post by daddig »

Part number is FH-RS 400
Mike G
Steve O'C

Post by Steve O'C »

When you say
. The chain now slips and hangs loosely when I pedal backwards
Do you mean it looks like the picture below?
If so most might it just be that the indexing is out, the new freehub is unlikely to sit in exactly the same place as the old one.
Steve
Attachments
IMG_20230601_063413888.jpg
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

So, to clarify and potentially help anyone else with some brain waves:

You have been supplied with the FH body for a FH-RS400 (Tiagra 10/11speed) hub:

https://si.shimano.com/en/pdfs/ev/FH-RS ... 0-3870.pdf

That part (Y31F98070) is labelled as being compatible with the 105 hub FH-5800. Is this the hub that you have?:

https://si.shimano.com/en/pdfs/ev/FH-58 ... -3719A.pdf

Although the FH body (and cone) appearing in that 105 exploded view looks different to the Tiagra one, the part number is the same. Have Shimano made a mistake here? Hopefully you still have the old failed FH body - how does it compare with the new part? Similarly the new cones and bearings that you have bought?

On a slightly different tack, with the hub built up and ideally a cassette fitted, are you able to detect any play in the FH body? Holding the wheel rim steady, grab the teeth of the largest sprocket and try and waggle it towards and away from the spokes. There should be a small amount of play as the FH body rocks on its internal bearings (which are different to the hub bearings that you set up and are not part of this experiment). IME there is often too much play but the error could perfectly conceivably be the other way.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Is the cassette fouling the spokes?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.