Too expensive to get bike sorted

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Pinhead

Re: Too expensive to get bike sorted

Post by Pinhead »

Psamathe wrote: 1 Jun 2023, 10:49pm How much confidence do you have in the shop? I've had LBSs insist on replacing parts that did not need replacing (and then replace them with the wrong parts without telling me but which I checked and complained).

I'd ask another LBS to identify what's needed and quote (get the 2nd bike shop to quote without telling them about the work and quote you already have i.e. to check that all the parts proposed actually need replacing ...).

Ian
They are a VERY reputable established shop and the service I have received is second to none Summit Cycles Aberystwyth
AUTISTIC and proud
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

They did say the cost was close to the price of a new bike

What do you think
Image1a.jpg
AUTISTIC and proud
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

Thank you all your advice is all I have to go on and is appreciated
AUTISTIC and proud
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Ke1th wrote: 1 Jun 2023, 9:02pm I'd be inclined to give up on this and buy a second hand replacement. Lots of people bought new bikes in lockdown and didn't realise they had to pedal them.
I was about to suggest the same. Makes complete sense as long as there’s no sentimental value attached.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

One point I have failed on in the past.
The cost of the repairs may be as much as or more than the cost of another second hand bike.
However you do know that a refurbished bike shouldn't have any hidden problems.

Not a bike, but I snapped the timing belt on a car and scrapped it because an engine rebuild cost more than the second hand value.
However I then worked my way through a couple of second hand replacements with hidden faults.
Looking back, I would have been better off spending the extra money to keep a car which had everything else in decent condition.

So second hand value can be a guide, but should be measured (IMHO) against a fully guaranteed refurbished bike.
Or brand new equivalent quality.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Pinhead wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 10:48am They are a VERY reputable established shop and the service I have received is second to none Summit Cycles Aberystwyth
Yep, Summit are excellent and as I said originally, I think that the invoice and cost breakdown is a fair representation.
The challenge (and it's not unique to this bike by any means) is that it often reaches a point where everything has worn together, everything needs replacing at once but the cost of all that is more than the S/H cost of the bike - in fact not that far off the cost of the bike as it was new!

There isn't really an easy answer - if you're a regular customer at Summit though it might be worth asking them if you can pay in two instalments. Worth a shot.

I suspect that any other option (buying tools and doing it yourself, buying bits off ebay etc) will work out probably at least as expensive and potentially a lot more expensive/time-consuming etc than just letting the shop deal with it.
Pinhead wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 10:51am They did say the cost was close to the price of a new bike

What do you think

Image1a.jpg
See if you can part-exchange the old Saracen for that Rockhopper. £425 is a great deal on that, they're superb bikes for the money.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Pinhead wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 10:48am
Psamathe wrote: 1 Jun 2023, 10:49pm How much confidence do you have in the shop? I've had LBSs insist on replacing parts that did not need replacing
They are a VERY reputable established shop and the service I have received is second to none Summit Cycles Aberystwyth
I once had the garage tell me that I needed a new suspension arm on the car, so I asked how urgent it was.
"When's your MoT due? It'll need doing for that" he said.
He looked pretty sheepish when I told him it had just been done a week ago.

Now read this thread I posted on MSE 19 years ago. See the hundreds of delighted replies from people whose cars had suddenly passed an MoT when they stopped getting them tested by garages with a financial interest in finding 'faults' to 'repair'. Note also the occasional forlorn reply from garage proprietors arguing, against the evidence, that they're not all on the make.

That advice got a mention on Radio 2, and got me a bottle of champagne from Martin Lewis.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

axel_knutt wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 12:28pm
Psamathe wrote: 1 Jun 2023, 10:49pm How much confidence do you have in the shop? I've had LBSs insist on replacing parts that did not need replacing
I once had the garage tell me that I needed a new suspension arm on the car, so I asked how urgent it was.

Now read this thread I posted on MSE 19 years ago. See the hundreds of delighted replies from people whose cars had suddenly passed an MoT when they stopped getting them tested by garages with a financial interest in finding 'faults' to 'repair'. Note also the occasional forlorn reply from garage proprietors arguing, against the evidence, that they're not all on the make.

That advice got a mention on Radio 2, and got me a bottle of champagne from Martin Lewis.

Actually like most people I can only go by experience, and THANKS TO THE PEOPLE HERE I am learning a lot, and have found again thanks to a comment here by a poster this place I am visiting as a day out with my son

https://www.cardiffcycleworkshop.org.uk/bike-repairs/
AUTISTIC and proud
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

rareposter wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 11:43am
Pinhead wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 10:48am They are a VERY reputable established shop and the service I have received is second to none Summit Cycles Aberystwyth
Yep, Summit are excellent and as I said originally, I think that the invoice and cost breakdown is a fair representation.
The challenge (and it's not unique to this bike by any means) is that it often reaches a point where everything has worn together, everything needs replacing at once but the cost of all that is more than the S/H cost of the bike - in fact not that far off the cost of the bike as it was new!

There isn't really an easy answer - if you're a regular customer at Summit though it might be worth asking them if you can pay in two instalments. Worth a shot.

I suspect that any other option (buying tools and doing it yourself, buying bits off ebay etc) will work out probably at least as expensive and potentially a lot more expensive/time-consuming etc than just letting the shop deal with it.
Pinhead wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 10:51am They did say the cost was close to the price of a new bike

What do you think

Image1a.jpg
See if you can part-exchange the old Saracen for that Rockhopper. £425 is a great deal on that, they're superb bikes for the money.

Thanks appreciated, there comes a time when it just isn't worth repairing as much as one would want to.

I did also find THIS and have contacted the Council

Could be interesting for other disabled in the community

https://cyclingforall.org/cycles/fundin ... your-bike/

"Local social services
If you are eligible for community care services you may receive a Personal Budget through your local council.
If you do not know about this, please contact your local authority’s social services department who will be able to help.
If you are eligible, you will need to demonstrate that having a cycle will enable you to live independently and enhance your quality of life.
Social services staff will need to agree with this assessment before funding your cycle."
AUTISTIC and proud
PH

Post by PH »

What do you think
It's a fair point for the shop to make, though a £400 bike isn't going to come with £80 cranks and a £40 cable set...
Is it worth the repairs over a new bike? That would depend on it's general condition, what might also be wearing out and how much you like it.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

axel_knutt wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 12:28pm

Well done, that’s fantastic information.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

How bad are all the part they propose need replacing. Do some have a bit of life left and maybe they are saying need doing within the next 1000 miles? Raising only as maybe you can spread the cost and work (DIY?) over time.

Ian
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Psamathe wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 6:19pm How bad are all the part they propose need replacing. Do some have a bit of life left and maybe they are saying need doing within the next 1000 miles? Raising only as maybe you can spread the cost and work (DIY?) over time.
Years ago in the shop I worked at, a customer brought in (quite a nice) road bike - gears are jumping, could you fix it?

A quick look at the bike and the whole drivetrain was shot to bits. The teeth on the cassette and chainrings were mere spikes, the jockey wheels were simple plastic circles where the teeth had been completely worn down. Rusted cables, brake pads down to the bare minimum. It was obvious that the bike had simply been ridden for quite some time with zero maintenance.

We advised him of this and he agreed to the work but it came to about £600.

Point of the story is that changing any one part would have been pointless; the whole lot had worn together and it just needed a complete overhaul.

I strongly suspect that's where this Mantra is at, especially if some of it is Shimano Tourney which isn't exactly renowned for its longevity.
MorningDew

Post by MorningDew »

The Saracen Mantras from six years ago or so were decent mid-range hardtails. They even produced a carbon fibre one. The Mantras from fifteen years ago were cheaper affairs from Saracen's time in the doldrums. On no account would I pay £315 to get one serviced.

Most of the servicing on the list is not difficult and does not require expensive tools. However, if there's a tricky task, it will be the bottom bracket, and if the bottom bracket won't come out, there's no point in doing any of the other work. Before considering having the work done, I would see what is available locally, secondhand, for less than £315. (Search the usual places: Ebay, Gumtree, Facebook Marketplace.) It should be possible to find a hardtail from a few years ago, in good working order, for less than £315. Look for something like a GT Avalanche, Specialized RockHopper, or something by Trek or Marin. You will almost certainly be able to find a bike that's better than the Mantra for less money than repairing the Mantra. A used GT Avalanche would be my first search if I wanted a hardtail mountain bike on a tight budget.
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

Psamathe wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 6:19pm How bad are all the part they propose need replacing. Do some have a bit of life left and maybe they are saying need doing within the next 1000 miles? Raising only as maybe you can spread the cost and work (DIY?) over time.

Ian
I have no idea is there a way to clean the rust/filth from a cassette thanks (Wire brush :) :) )

When it comes back I'll photograph, yet to collect from quote
AUTISTIC and proud