Replacing wheel bearing on mtb

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
crazyfrog

Re: Replacing wheel bearing on mtb

Post by crazyfrog »

The replies on this post are hilarious they only know how to look for model numbers and hope they can find technical docs.

You’ve got generic hubs probably just unbranded joytech or novetec put together for Halfords, they’re probably slightly different to off the shelf models but when you need to replace the freehubs I’d start by looking at the novatec stuff on aliexpress.

Anyway your freehub will use either 1/4 or 3/16 loose ball bearings. Since tubs of weldtite bearings are under a tenner I keep a tub of each in my spares as it’s crap waiting on wheel bearings.
Icemen

Post by Icemen »

Here some more pics of the hub.
Attachments
20230610_151043.jpg
20230610_151052.jpg
20230610_151058.jpg
20230610_151107.jpg
Sum

Post by Sum »

I suspect the bearing is cup and cone but I think you will need to remove the locknuts and inspect further. You will need some cone spanners to do that. You said on the previous page that the lock nuts were 17mm across the flats. That's a typical size for a cone spanner but double check, and check the other axle nuts too. If the lock nut is 17mm then the other nut it locks may require a different size cone spanner, such as a 15mm for example.

Note that if the bearings are cup and cone then you don't need to undo the nuts on both sides of the axle, undoing and removing the nuts on one side should be enough to remove the axle, allowing you to inspect the in sides. Watch out for the ball bearings escaping, particularly if there's a fridge nearby. For the rear hub, removing the axle nuts on the non-drive side is best.

To remove the cassette on the rear hub, you will need a cassette removal tool to undo the cassette lockring, and a chain whip or similar to hold onto the cassette whilst undoing the lockring.
maximus meridius

Post by maximus meridius »

crazyfrog wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 10:48am The replies on this post are hilarious they only know how to look for model numbers and hope they can find technical docs.

You’ve got generic hubs probably just unbranded joytech or novetec put together for Halfords, they’re probably slightly different to off the shelf models but when you need to replace the freehubs I’d start by looking at the novatec stuff on aliexpress.

Anyway your freehub will use either 1/4 or 3/16 loose ball bearings. Since tubs of weldtite bearings are under a tenner I keep a tub of each in my spares as it’s crap waiting on wheel bearings.
Hilarious? Really? What we are trying to do is identify what hub it is, in order to give more specific advice. Unlike your very general "probably" advice.

I know pretty well how to service a cup and cone hub thank you, but am not so arrogant that I'm afraid of asking for advice when I think I need it. And I have received useful advice here, though not from you.

But tell us, oh wise one, how many freehubs use 1/4" bearings? Or maybe you actually meant the axle bearings? And which is it, 1/4" or 3/16"?
Last edited by maximus meridius on 11 Jun 2023, 7:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
freiston

Post by freiston »

I'm with Maximus on this - identifying the hub is a good start to identifying the bearing system - much better than a stab in the dark.

crazyfrog might get the right answer - but it will be by luck and probability rather than by actually finding out the right answer. Their advice was given with an air of authority ridiculing the efforts of others but "generic" with loads of "probably" and at the end, was an either/or answer with no confirmation - and even then not necessarily a correct either/or - for example, the bearings in my pretty standard freehub are 1/8" - not 1/4" or 3/16" (but they are freehub bearings and not axle bearings).
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)