Replacing wheel bearing on mtb

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Icemen

Replacing wheel bearing on mtb

Post by Icemen »

Hey
I'm new so hello to one and all.
I have a Boardman mtb txc 650b team hardtail 2014. I like doing my own repairs to bike and can do most jobs long I have the correct tools.
My bike is getting on a bit now and has started to make squeaking noises now from both from and back wheels. It's not the pads touching the rotor blades, I've oiled the spindals. I come to the conclusion now it must be the wheel bearings. I want to change them ideally to sealed bearing if it is a straightforward swap out. Can someone help and advise what tools and bearings to purchase? I know I'll need a speacial nut to remove the rear cassette.
Thankz
Ice
rogerzilla

Re: Replacing wheel bearing on mtb

Post by rogerzilla »

If they're cup and cone bearings, you can't change them to sealed bearings. Can you post a photo?
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

What hubs are they?
It should say on them, either a brand or a reference / code number, sometimes both.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Most likely cup and cone this might help you
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Icemen

Post by Icemen »

Where do Iook to see what type of bearing currently? I'll say it is the cup and bearing if I was to guess. That video guy is so good, if he was local to me I'd go to him. Anyone around in central Birmingham? Posted some pictures of my bike.
Attachments
20230514_174248.jpg
20230601_205045.jpg
20230601_205106.jpg
20230601_205125.jpg
20230601_205208.jpg
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Richard M
Cardiff
drossall

Post by drossall »

Icemen wrote: 1 Jun 2023, 9:02pm Where do Iook to see what type of bearing currently? I'll say it is the cup and bearing if I was to guess. That video guy is so good, if he was local to me I'd go to him. Anyone around in central Birmingham? Posted some pictures of my bike.
It's the name on the hub that matters. We can't see that in any of the photos. Most hubs have a name engraved, or at least stamped, on the main hub shell in the middle of the wheel. For example, pretty-much all the hubs on this shop page have some kind of branding on them that tells you the make.
Icemen

Post by Icemen »

To see the name I'll need to remove the middle spindle isn't it? To open will I need two thin 16 mil spanners? I'll do front wheel as won't need to remove the cassette and will be easier.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Icemen wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 7:41am To see the name I'll need to remove the middle spindle isn't it? To open will I need two thin 16 mil spanners? I'll do front wheel as won't need to remove the cassette and will be easier.
Should be printed on the outside of the hub. Or the original spec list of the bike should detail it.

It could be absolutely anything from own-brand to Shimano; bikes at that level are notorious for changing spec every year as manufacturers try to hit a price point.

But you certainly don't need to take the hub apart to find out!
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

My guess is that you just need to service the bearings.
Something that is relatively cheap and easy.
However, as others say, first you need to know what bearings you have currently.
Icemen

Post by Icemen »

I've tried to look at specs online but none mention the wheel bearings. Took wheel off still no name. Think I'll have to open the nuts. I think it takes a 17 mil thin spanner.
Attachments
20230606_175806.jpg
20230606_175821.jpg
20230606_180022.jpg
maximus meridius

Post by maximus meridius »

The part of the wheel where people are asking you to look for the name of the make/model of the hub is on the outside of the hub shell, in between the flanges. The flanges are what the spokes are attached to.

Here's one of mine:
IMG_4430.jpeg
Can you see where it says "Shimano"? And below that, in smaller letters, "HB-M525A Malaysia"

Shimano is the manufacturer, and HB-M525A is the model of that hub (a front one).

There should, hopefully, be something similar on yours.
Icemen

Post by Icemen »

No name or numbers in the middle of the hub
Icemen

Post by Icemen »

No name or numbers in the middle of the hub. Thisis the sticker on outside of the rim.
Attachments
20230607_215918.jpg
20230607_215935.jpg
drossall

Post by drossall »

The rim is irrelevant because wheels are assembled, taking hubs and rims as separate items. Those Mavic A319 rims are common (and quite decent) ones, that get matched with hubs from almost any manufacturer going.

Some hubs, especially more basic ones, are unmarked, but clear photos of the hubs (front and back), similar to that from maximus, would still help, because there are some common manufacturers with recognisable shapes.