Why does nobody believe me?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Tangled Metal

Re: Why does nobody believe me?

Post by Tangled Metal »

Is the flevobike the one where if you get it wrong it bites a chunk out of your leg.

I recall a story about a guy (a vicar i believe) who had his flevobike, if that was the right bike, nicked. He looked around the neighbourhood and found it in a garden with a bit of blood in the chainring! Not a bike for the uninitiated to ride off on making a getaway!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

So what would make my SMGT comfortable for me?

Headrest is an obvious one for neck ache, but what about the USS discomfort? Can you get any other bar type for this older model that's likely to help?
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Tangled Metal wrote: 5 Jun 2023, 4:34pm I realise this seems counter intuitive to many recumbent riders but I have read a few other bent riders with comfort issues with their bents so I'm not completely alone here.
I'd say the most common problem reported by U.S. riders is recumbutt, maybe a historiic liking for Easy Racers Tour Easy has something to do with that, although I did get a mild ache on my HPV Spirit on long rides.

I'm a fan of 'tweener/aero bars on recumbent bikes. My brain can't cope with one-handed tiller steering.
Last edited by UpWrong on 5 Jun 2023, 6:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Tangled Metal wrote: 5 Jun 2023, 4:40pm So what would make my SMGT comfortable for me?

Headrest is an obvious one for neck ache, but what about the USS discomfort? Can you get any other bar type for this older model that's likely to help?
Convert it to over-seat steering?
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Tangled Metal wrote: 5 Jun 2023, 4:40pm So what would make my SMGT comfortable for me?

Convert it to over-seat steering? I'm sure it can be done, the problem is likely to be the cost and the UK only has one HPV dealer now I believe.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Overseat steering was a standard option so it can certainly be done.
Kinetics in Glasgow are an HPVel dealer as well as respected fettler of bikes in general, so I'd drop Ben Cooper there a line and ask.

I personally find significant differences between OSS styles, so if you can try hamster/scorpion options somehow that might usefully inform the conversation.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Tangled Metal wrote: 5 Jun 2023, 4:38pm Is the flevobike the one where if you get it wrong it bites a chunk out of your leg.
Don't know, but here's a wee vid of one in action...
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

https://youtu.be/vqCc75Hz8zg

I quite fancy a go on a Flevo trike, but I think a 2 wheeler would try my patience somewhat.
Last edited by yostumpy on 5 Jun 2023, 9:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

pjclinch wrote: 4 Jun 2023, 9:02am I'm fully onside with a £500 hybrid being a great value "do most stuff okay" choice for someone looking for one bike to do lots of stuff with £500 to spend.
So what would you recommend as £500 "do most stuff okay" recumbent? Okay, we might have to compromise on the £500, but a reasonably affordable recumbent that can do most stuff?
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 5 Jun 2023, 9:37pm
pjclinch wrote: 4 Jun 2023, 9:02am I'm fully onside with a £500 hybrid being a great value "do most stuff okay" choice for someone looking for one bike to do lots of stuff with £500 to spend.
So what would you recommend as £500 "do most stuff okay" recumbent? Okay, we might have to compromise on the £500, but a reasonably affordable recumbent that can do most stuff?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134597356391 ... R9SOztSRYg

THIS^^^^^ but then I'm somewhat biased, tempted myself, as it's got a Rollhoff hub. £620 at the mo, if you could get this for around £850 it would be a steal, and you would get your money back .
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

The SMGTe can only be retro fitted with OSS tiller style but not aero bars according to their website. The oss is a terracycle version.

What is it about oss vs uss that might make them more comfortable? To me the hands being higher up might make them less comfortable over time but I've no experience to base that on just keeping arms high can cause discomfort in other activities.

Got the tank out tonight from storage. Seat on, missing a washer and can't find any in the house right now but it's secure enough. The attachment point on seat flexes over so washer between seat and frame isn't completely necessary. Puncture! Fixed that after a little bit of blood and cursing when the spring bar on brakes sprung out into finger, astonishing! Patched inner tube and back together. Test ride. Wobbly at the start due to slow speed turning onto the road. Tch, tch, tch! Rubbing! Easy fix, kick the cage over the chainring as it's knocked out towards the chainring side pedal. Always does this every ride. Usually I give it a swift kick as I'm riding along.

Bike fettled for a ride out one evening. Time to give it another go. It would be good to try another recumbent to see how they're different. There's an older couple near us who have trikes with e-assist. The guy's out a lot but his wife has other hobbies and I rarely see her out. I might try and wangle a quick try of that. Use the recumbent rider friendship card! Lol! Seriously when I meet a recumbent rider when out on mine I always end up having a long conversation.

Arnside and Silverdale AONB beckons me and my recumbent. Blasted hills though especially coming off the moss towards Warton past the Crag. Might have to do a out and back or an alternative route. One night I might try the TT route between Milnthorpe and just before motorway. I know the 10 mile distance to see how I compare with my upright. Would make a good test run to see how get on over time if I do more riding of my recumbent.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

yostumpy wrote: 5 Jun 2023, 9:43pm

THIS^^^^^ but then I'm somewhat biased, tempted myself, as it's got a Rollhoff hub. £620 at the mo, if you could get this for around £850 it would be a steal, and you would get your money back .
The owner from new doesn't know the GTe is when the frame material switched from steel to aluminium. Or at least before i got my gt i read that was the biggest change between gt and GTe. I never trust ebay entries that don't get such details right. Is that fair?
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

yostumpy wrote: 5 Jun 2023, 9:43pm

Interesting nomination, as it's been mentioned in this thread a few times already. But an Ebay find is not really equivalent to an off-the-shelf model from Halfords or Decathlon. Let's double the budget, even triple it, what about a do-it-all, all-rounder you can get new from your friendly local recumbent shop?

Edit: Just found a price list for the Streetmachine GTE and it starts from €3,290.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

A brief ride on a friend's Azub trike (I don't know the exact model) was some of the funnest fun I've had on wheels. I've no idea how much that cost him, but certainly we're well away from the £500 hybrid.