NVO stem thingy - why not more common

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
maximus meridius

Re: NVO stem thingy - why not more common

Post by maximus meridius »

PH wrote: 3 Jun 2023, 10:30am
maximus meridius wrote: 3 Jun 2023, 7:49am
PH wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 8:52pm
Yes I can see how that might be useful in that circumstance, though the same can be achieved with a locking spacer, like this one:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/headsets/pr ... nch-black/
Not quite the same effect though, if you think about it.
In what way?
They're not the same, but if the objective is to be able to remove stem and bars without disturbing the headset either will do. I first came across locking spacers on travel bikes where they're used for just that purpose.
One objective may be "to be able to remove stem and bars without disturbing the headset either will do"

The NVO does that. But it does other things too:

1. It always orientates the stem/handlebars correctly.

2. If you have the stem installed lower than the top of the steer tube, it means you don't need to remove any spacers which are higher than the stem.*

Both of which make re-assembling the bike when I get it out of the back of the car faster.

Cheers.

*With the problem-solvers thing it might be that spacers above the stem aren't strictly necessary. But I don't like having bare unprotected stem open to the elements. So I blather mine with grease, and then cover it with spacers (which stops me getting grease on my hands/clothes). Having just found some rust on this stem I think this is a good policy. Also missing spacers above the stem would look god-awful. See "uncut steerer" for reasons why somebody might have a steerer higher than the stem.
Last edited by maximus meridius on 3 Jun 2023, 1:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Interesting component. If I've understood it correctly, the shim does the job of spacers in a conventional set-up plus the height of the stem, with the top cap doing the same job as always, leaving the stem free to be unclamped (and moved up/down) without unclamping the steerer.

The website linked is only in USD, is there a UK retailer? Google didn't find one for me but it did find that Tern use these stems and that there's an older thread about them (which I haven't read): viewtopic.php?t=103232
KM2

Post by KM2 »

I think they are brilliant. Easy to drop off the stem and bars if using a car, same in a bike box for flights. But the main purpose is to make the bike multi person with the use of a qr clamp at the seatpost and maybe an adjustable stem. All adjustable with a 5mm key.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Alright, I am being dim but how does it work. The website doesn't say.
Thing is, isn't it easier to, in the really rare situation where you might change bar height, mid ride :roll: , just yank the stem off, put spacers where you need them and retighten the stem? I reckon you could do that quicker than I can write this reply.
Possibly I have missed its USP but it isn't saving 3 seconds . As to just avoiding a stack of spacers why not use one long one then? Thats what I did once before I set the ride height and did the job properly.
PH

Post by PH »

mattsccm wrote: 4 Jun 2023, 4:05pm Alright, I am being dim but how does it work. The website doesn't say.
Basically - it's a long thin spacer that preloads the bearings, the stem fits over the spacer, so loosening the stem allows it to be moved up and down, or rotated out of the way, without disturbing the headset or having other lose parts.
I see a use for it, but to answer the question in the OP about why it isn't more common, it's because it isn't a use many people have. And of those that do, most of that function can be achieved with a locking spacer, or something else to hold the headset in place.