NVO stem thingy - why not more common

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
maximus meridius

NVO stem thingy - why not more common

Post by maximus meridius »

I'm in the process of bring back to life a bike that has one of these NVO things:

https://nvocomponents.com/technical/

And I was wondering why they aren't a lot more common. Seems like a really useful thing to me. Is there some hidden downside to it?
PH

Re: NVO stem thingy - why not more common

Post by PH »

maximus meridius wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 7:11pm And I was wondering why they aren't a lot more common. Seems like a really useful thing to me. Is there some hidden downside to it?
It says:
You can change your stem height now as easily as you change your saddle height. Even during a ride, your stem height can be changed quickly.
That might be useful on bikes that have several riders, or even when you might want to turn the bars for travel. It isn't something I do frequently, usually only removing the stem as part of a larger job. How often would it be useful for you?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I've got one on a Dawes Super Galaxy. I wasn't sure what it was or how it worked. But NVO were very helpful by email. I haven't found a hidden downside.

Jonathan
re_cycler

Post by re_cycler »

Is the fork retention just from the top cap preload against the shim or does the shim get deformed by the stem enough to grip the steerer tube ?
Answering my own question. I can now see the shim has a slot all the way along it's length.
Last edited by re_cycler on 2 Jun 2023, 8:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ATS System Overview:
The ATS system consists of a shim that slides over the steer tube (Fig. 1). The shim is compressed by the top cap, and in turn, pre-loads the headset (Fig. 2) . The stem then slides over the shim and is tightened along the shim length (Fig. 3). To adjust the stem, simply loosen the stem bolt, move the stem to your selected position, then re- tighten the stem bolt. It’s that simple!

Jonathan
re_cycler

Post by re_cycler »

Jdsk wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 8:00pm ATS System Overview:
The ATS system consists of a shim that slides over the steer tube (Fig. 1). The shim is compressed by the top cap, and in turn, pre-loads the headset (Fig. 2) . The stem then slides over the shim and is tightened along the shim length (Fig. 3). To adjust the stem, simply loosen the stem bolt, move the stem to your selected position, then re- tighten the stem bolt. It’s that simple!

Jonathan
Thanks, I hadn't spotted that the slot in the shim ran it's full length.
maximus meridius

This one is on a folding bike, so its use in this situation is that I can take the bars off to make the bike more packable.

But as it's a fairly simple thing, and not particularly expensive, I can't see why it isn't used more. It just seems to me like a super easy way of adjusting the height of the stem. Yes, for most people that won't happen a lot, but see the "uncut steerer" thread, for instance.

On this bike the shim was tight around the steerer, or perhaps it had started to bond to it. It's certainly snug. So although the roles of the stem and top cap are sort of reversed in this system, compared to what they usually do, I think the stem clamped to the shim, which is a tight fit around the steerer, will certainly be helping the top cap in maintaining preload.
Last edited by maximus meridius on 3 Jun 2023, 7:55am, edited 1 time in total.
PH

Post by PH »

maximus meridius wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 8:12pm This one is on a folding bike, so its use in this situation is that I can take the bars off to make the bike more packable.
Yes I can see how that might be useful in that circumstance, though the same can be achieved with a locking spacer, like this one:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/headsets/pr ... nch-black/
freiston

Post by freiston »

It requires an NVO stem that is indented to fit the ridge running down the front of the sleeve - so one downside is that you can't use any stem on it.

In 2013, I decided to get back into cycling "proper" and buy myself a new drop-bar touring bike after several years of using a flat barred lemon of a cheapish 90s rigid mountain bike (which replaced an old drop bar bike written off by a car hitting me from the side) . The new bike came with the NVO system stem and sleeve and I found this useful as it was my first bike with a threadless headset and I didn't know what height I wanted the bars. As it happened, I soon ended up replacing the compact bars that came with the bike for something with a hand position between the tops and the hoods. I needed to change the stem for one with a different clamp size and shorter length but couldn't find a suitable NVO stem so I bought a "regular" stem and some spacers. Whilst at it, I also fitted a spacer-mounted bell - something else that can't be done with the NVO system.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
maximus meridius

PH wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 8:52pm
maximus meridius wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 8:12pm This one is on a folding bike, so its use in this situation is that I can take the bars off to make the bike more packable.
Yes I can see how that might be useful in that circumstance, though the same can be achieved with a locking spacer, like this one:
Not quite the same effect though, if you think about it.
maximus meridius

freiston wrote: 3 Jun 2023, 2:18am It requires an NVO stem that is indented to fit the ridge running down the front of the sleeve - so one downside is that you can't use any stem on it.

In 2013, I decided to get back into cycling "proper" and buy myself a new drop-bar touring bike after several years of using a flat barred lemon of a cheapish 90s rigid mountain bike (which replaced an old drop bar bike written off by a car hitting me from the side) . The new bike came with the NVO system stem and sleeve and I found this useful as it was my first bike with a threadless headset and I didn't know what height I wanted the bars. As it happened, I soon ended up replacing the compact bars that came with the bike for something with a hand position between the tops and the hoods. I needed to change the stem for one with a different clamp size and shorter length but couldn't find a suitable NVO stem so I bought a "regular" stem and some spacers. Whilst at it, I also fitted a spacer-mounted bell - something else that can't be done with the NVO system.
Yes, those are downsides, I can see that.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

Can the raised line on the slotted spacer be located within the bolted slot of the stem, maybe with a little filing? The modern stems have two slots so they can be turned through 90 degrees, maybe for storage in a hallway.
PH

Post by PH »

maximus meridius wrote: 3 Jun 2023, 7:49am
In what way?
They're not the same, but if the objective is to be able to remove stem and bars without disturbing the headset either will do. I first came across locking spacers on travel bikes where they're used for just that purpose.
freiston

Post by freiston »

KM2 wrote: 3 Jun 2023, 8:02am Can the raised line on the slotted spacer be located within the bolted slot of the stem, maybe with a little filing? The modern stems have two slots so they can be turned through 90 degrees, maybe for storage in a hallway.
It's possible, I'd say, but you'd still have to removed the stem/steerer cap and slide the stem off the sleeve. I think it would be easier to slacken everything off and then rotate the sleeve and the stem together.
IMG_5889.JPG
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
freiston

Post by freiston »

PH wrote: 3 Jun 2023, 10:30am
maximus meridius wrote: 3 Jun 2023, 7:49am
In what way?
They're not the same, but if the objective is to be able to remove stem and bars without disturbing the headset either will do. I first came across locking spacers on travel bikes where they're used for just that purpose.
Coincidentally, my bike has a clamping cable hanger for the cantilever brakes (originally immediately below the NVO sleeve) which also functions as a locking headset spacer. It made life easier when I was experimenting with different handlebars.