Dust caps for pedals

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Philip Benstead

Dust caps for pedals

Post by Philip Benstead »

I have just purchase the pedal listed below. Unfortunately the bearing are done up far too tight..

I want to release them and adjust them correctly and may be lubricate them if required.

But the dust cap is very tight even using a very small screwdriver to attempt lever it out..

To remove the cap I will have dril it to get a screwdriver in to lever it ot.

Question

Where can I get replacement dust cap.

https://www.rmcycles.co.uk/components/p ... KgQAvD_BwE
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
rjb

Re: Dust caps for pedals

Post by rjb »

These pedals are advertised thus:-
"Giant Original Mtb Pedal 9/16 BlackSeason:2022 Brand:Giant Code:230000085Giant’s Original MTB pedal combines a die cast aluminium low-profile platform with a strong boron heat treated spindle and 10 replaceable and adjustable pins per side to deliver optimal performance to flat-pedal mountain bikers everywhere.

FEATURES
Slim die-cast aluminium body is low profile and strong
10 replaceable and adjustable pins per side for secure foot engagement
Boron heat treated spindle
9/16 thread
Smooth ball-bearing internals"
If the bearings are tight they are not smooth as described. Send them back for a refund.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

I had enough trouble getting them in the first place.

Most cycle equipment with adjustable bearing are over tighten.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’d try drilling a tiny hole, screw in a screw and tug with pliers. Use the hole as a grease port after rebuilding.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

If it is made of plastic, try warming it before attempting to lever it out.

If you follow the previous poster's suggestion of boring a small hole, you will need a self-tapping screw with a fine thread to pull the cap off. You could fill the hole with a screw and nut Loctited together arranged so you can grab the nut with pliers to remove the cap later. If space inside is restricted use a countersunk screw.
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

EBay ‘hole plug’ and you’ll likely come up with something.

I’d drill a small hole in the centre and then insert a string piece of bent wire to try and tug it off, but expect the cover to stay put and end up as scrap / badly mangled.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
JohnMorgan

Post by JohnMorgan »

May I ask how it went?
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Paulatic wrote: 2 Jun 2023, 9:12pm I’d try drilling a tiny hole, screw in a screw and tug with pliers. Use the hole as a grease port after rebuilding.
Many pedals of this type have stiff bearings from new. They tend to bed and turn easier with a bit of use. I think that with the nature of the locking mechanism in one of these types of pedal (a small locknut tightening against a keyed washer with no simultaneous access to the larger nut behind it) makes it unlikely that you will be able to get the bearings securely locked off and with exactly the right preload.

I agree with Paulatic's suggestion, but I'd not even go so far as removing the cap and trying to adjust the bearings. I have done this with many pedals, just fire grease in with a grease gun until it comes out clean at the crank side of the spindle and leave the properly greased bearings to bed in/loosen up over time. A small hole that is bunged up with grease and filled with grease behind it is unlikely to take in water, or you can plug the hole with a short pan head machine screw.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

From a design point of view? Easy. Don't do anything to the pedals. I bet a quid that this isn't in the design brief.
What I do is prize the cap out with a pocket knife.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

mattsccm wrote: 4 Jun 2023, 4:07pm.
What I do is prize the cap out with a pocket knife.
I assumed the OP will have tried prising initially .
If he hasn’t then you win the prize. :wink:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info