Issue with Wahoo heart monitor

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
atoz

Issue with Wahoo heart monitor

Post by atoz »

Hi all. I use a Wahoo Tickr HR monitor with an Elemnt Bolt cycle computer. Having starting to experience unreliable readings ie far too high, erratic etc I replaced the battery, as you do. I also washed the strap, as you are supposed to do. However it didn't entirely cure the problem. I tried my other monitor which also needed new battery, which was ok. Swopping the strap partially helped, but still not giving accurate reading. However, using thin cosmetic brush with isopropyl alcohol on device circuit and contacts restored correct readings. I have reported this issue to Wahoo support to see what response I get, and will pass on if any use. Here's hoping...
Jdsk

Re: Issue with Wahoo heart monitor

Post by Jdsk »

Discussions of unreliable heart monitors:
viewtopic.php?t=149530
viewtopic.php?t=154803

Jonathan
atoz

Post by atoz »

Update - cleaning the electrode surface of the strap with isopropyl alcohol and rinsing with water afterwards helped. This is after just washing in detergent didn't cut the mustard. I need to test with a long ride on a muggy hot day through.

Another unrelated issue I've recently come across is roadworks traffic lighted management lane barriers screwing up the readings. I'm guessing these traffic management devices either use WiFi, Bluetooth or both, as they will fight for the same bandwidth and overwhelm the HR sensor. So much for technology
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

atoz wrote: 25 Jun 2023, 4:34pm"Another unrelated issue I've recently come across is roadworks traffic lighted management lane barriers screwing up the readings. I'm guessing these traffic management devices either use WiFi, Bluetooth or both, as they will fight for the same bandwidth and overwhelm the HR sensor. So much for technology"
Is it failing to "No signal" or giving false readings?

Jonathan
atoz

Post by atoz »

Jdsk wrote: 25 Jun 2023, 4:51pm
atoz wrote: 25 Jun 2023, 4:34pm"Another unrelated issue I've recently come across is roadworks traffic lighted management lane barriers screwing up the readings. I'm guessing these traffic management devices either use WiFi, Bluetooth or both, as they will fight for the same bandwidth and overwhelm the HR sensor. So much for technology"
Is it failing to "No signal" or giving false readings?

Jonathan
Did false readings, then no signal. Cleared as soon as I cleared the roadworks.
atoz

Post by atoz »

Another update. Wahoo now replaced the tickr with another for free. Note that the strap electrode surface has a diamond pattern embossed on it. The old one was smooth. Interesting.

One thing's for sure, it pays to make constructive comments where you can, especially when your suggested solution seems to work. After all it helps to improve the product. Hopefully this new hr monitor will work better.
brumster

Post by brumster »

Contact wahoo customer support on their website. They will help troubleshoot the problem.
atoz

Post by atoz »

Actually...there is one cycle jersey I have that the HR monitor can't deal with, simply won't connect. Makes me wonder if the manufacturer inadvertently used fabric like in wallets to stop people copying credit cards. Weird