The effect of safety attire on perceptions of cyclist dehumanisation

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Stevek76

The effect of safety attire on perceptions of cyclist dehumanisation

Post by Stevek76 »

Another interesting one about the psychology of attire. Sample is biased to existing cyclists and usual caveats.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 7823001018
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: The effect of safety attire on perceptions of cyclist dehumanisation

Post by Mick F »

I've only scan-read the article.

On Sunday Mrs Mick F and me and the doggie walked to the Royal Inn at Horsebridge. We arrive soon after 12:30 and a had a couple of drinks before waling back home. The place had some cyclists arriving. Some were on their way to JOG and some to LE. We chatted of course! :D

There were some without helmets, and some with helmets. It was nice to see the riders without helmets! :D
Men and women.

Helmet-less (like me when I ride a bike) are seen as more human IMHO and IME.
Mick F. Cornwall
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

On the same general subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDjWryXdVd0&t=474s

Brain scans show empathy in people when they see another person being hurt, unless the victim is a member of an out-group, in which case their brain scans show the same characteristics as those of a psychopath.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Mick F wrote: 6 Jun 2023, 4:12pm
Helmet-less (like me when I ride a bike) are seen as more human IMHO and IME.
+1 for that.

After a period of illness off the bike and then returning to cycling on an ebike (kit conversion), I now usually ride in just ordinary clothing (except mitts and discreet eye protection) and whilst it's entirely subjective I feel more at ease on the road in respect of car users.

When I see roadies flashing by, now they all look the same to me hidden behind their dark glasses, helmeted head down and not a smile from these lycra clad 'humans'.

That research came as not surprise all.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

bikes4two wrote: 6 Jun 2023, 4:24pm After a period of illness off the bike and then returning to cycling on an ebike (kit conversion), I now usually ride in just ordinary clothing (except mitts and discreet eye protection) and whilst it's entirely subjective I feel more at ease on the road in respect of car users.
When I rode in lycra I got acknowledged by other cyclists wearing lycra, and when in mufti I got acknowledged by cyclists in mufti.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I reckon it just makes it easier to point a finger at a particular group of people and whine.

Never heard anyone bellyaching about cyclists here or stigmatizing Lycra etc.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

Interesting piece of research - done in a laboratory testing reactions to pictures.

Real life relevance and application needs to be determined.

The limitations of the study are clearly written in the article so authors can't be faulted
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

The real life evidence of the deleterious effect that wearing helmets causes in driver behaviour was measured back in 2006:
http://www.drianwalker.com/overtaking/o ... obrief.pdf
mjr

Post by mjr »

On a similar theme, from Melbourne, AU:
Mandatory helmet legislation contributes to feelings of judgement and victim blaming experienced by bike riders.

Interviewees felt that bicycle helmets dehumanise bike riders which could lead to further violence against them.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 0523001457
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

When people want to attack cyclists it is not long before the word 'lycra' is used.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Pete Owens wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 7:28pm The real life evidence of the deleterious effect that wearing helmets causes in driver behaviour was measured back in 2006:
http://www.drianwalker.com/overtaking/o ... obrief.pdf
There's a widely cited paper by Jake Olivier rubbishing that, this is Walker's answer to it.
― Friedrich Nietzsche