Replacing rear alloy on carrera crossfuse 21 inch

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Sotcon

Replacing rear alloy on carrera crossfuse 21 inch

Post by Sotcon »

Hi guys

My rear wheel got hit out of shape on my carrera crossfuse 21 inch.
The rear wheel rim is warped out of shape so i have to change it. The halfords guy was quoting aroung 80 pounds :shock: . Was wondering if i can get cheaper, but still good. Where to get and which ones? After i get them, will take it in to halfords to put together and check. Cheers for any advice
peetee

Re: Replacing rear alloy on carrera crossfuse 21 inch

Post by peetee »

Have you looked online to see if you have an independent bike mechanic near you? It’s likely they will be able to undercut Halfords for the whole job and do it a lot quicker (if you don’t buy the wheel from the people who fit it they are likely to put you at the back of the queue).
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

Did that £80 with Halfords include the wheel, any other parts and fitting?

Jonathan
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

Screenshot_20230606-172109.png
Could do your own swap over of bits. Does sound like £80 covers the set up of the wheel plus retruing of gears.
Steve

Post by Steve »

If you're hard up and do have
time to shop around, you might save a few quid, but how much less than £80 could it be expected to cost?
rjb

Post by rjb »

This may be a E bike with a disc braked rear wheel. The quote from Halfords would probably only cover truing the wheel and setting up the gears etc. I would get another quote from an independant bike shop or a charity bike repairer. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D