Etiquette when quoting

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Jdsk

Etiquette when quoting

Post by Jdsk »

This has just come up elsewhere, specifically about showing or removing the name of the poster of the quoted text.

My first thoughts:

1 Pruning the quoted post is generally good practice because it allows the reader to concentrate on the specific issue.

2 Removing the name was criticised in the other discussion. But removing the name can be used in a constructive attempt to avoid personalisation and feuding.

Thoughts, please.

Thanks

Jonathan
mjr

Re: Etiquette when quoting

Post by mjr »

Agree with 1. Long ago, I suggested the software settings be changed to shorten quotes and reduce the amount of repeats on here.

On 2, my opinion from experience is that removing the name and context link is often done to disable notifications and try to have the last word, by reducing the chance that the person they're disagreeing with even sees the reply.

As an aside, removing the author's name can turn the reposting of someone else's work from fair dealing for comment into technically a copyright infringement.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Crikey!

It hadn’t even occurred to me that dropping the name, as I’ve accidentally been doing, could be interpreted in that dark fashion.

I’d assumed that people followed threads, and recognised their own words when quoted.

And, I think of conversations on forums as a bit like chats/debates in the pub or cafe, rather than the sort of hissing-contests that precious academics indulge in, where the precise forms of citation become ways of winning or losing points in the game.

Anyway …. The software on this form of forum is a bit clunky and antiquated, some use far more sophisticated systems, but I have a feeling that sophistication comes at a large price.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

One reason to quote without the poster's name is that you're responding to a thread in general, not that specific person. For instance, if several people say something along the lines of "Schwalbe Marathons are the best tyres, they roll well and you never get punctures", you might pick one at random and reply "When I tried Marathons, I got ten punctures in the first month."
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 11:34am One reason to quote without the poster's name is that you're responding to a thread in general, not that specific person. For instance, if several people say something along the lines of "Schwalbe Marathons are the best tyres, they roll well and you never get punctures", you might pick one at random and reply "When I tried Marathons, I got ten punctures in the first month."
Yes.

Jonathan

PS: Of course I had to decide whether to leave your name in there! : -)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Nearholmer wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 11:24am Crikey!

It hadn’t even occurred to me that dropping the name, as I’ve accidentally been doing, could be interpreted in that dark fashion.
I was also surprised by the reaction. Which is I why I started this thread.

Jonathan
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

I think of conversations on forums as a bit like chats/debates in the pub or cafe, rather than the sort of hissing-contests that precious academics indulge in, where the precise forms of citation become ways of winning or losing points in the game.
How delightfully naive!

(Is "hissing" a typo? )

:wink:
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Changing the software so only one previous reply is included would be the best change to make.

Most other forums seem to operate that way.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

This particular forum does seem to get weirdly up-tight about things, very many things, for no obvious reason. It seems to have a lower than normal ability to accommodate differences of views peacefully.

The forum that I use for my other hobby is far less prone to up-tightness, properly like a decent pub or cafe. Not entirely sure why, but it is noticeable that the moderators of that one are much more comfortable to take people by the scruff of the neck and cast them into the street if they don’t play nicely together.

“Hissing” wasn’t a typo. I had in mind “hissy fits”. I only realised afterwards that it would have been better with a ‘p’.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Jdsk wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 11:37am
Nearholmer wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 11:24am Crikey!

I was also surprised by the reaction. Which is I why I started this thread.

Jonathan
Ditto.
If it's a short quote, I just use the whole text because it's easy.
If it's a long quote, I chop it to make it easier for my readers(!) To digest it.
But then I like to think that I don't really say anything likely to upset anyone on a cycle touring forum.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 11:34am One reason to quote without the poster's name is that you're responding to a thread in general, not that specific person. For instance, if several people say something along the lines of "Schwalbe Marathons are the best tyres, they roll well and you never get punctures", you might pick one at random and reply "When I tried Marathons, I got ten punctures in the first month."
Yes; these things are all about context. (Any english word or phrase can convey respect or insult, if used wisely! )

For the record, IMO the above usage is very sensible, and respectful.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Nearholmer wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 11:51am This particular forum does seem to get weirdly up-tight about things, very many things, for no obvious reason. It seems to have a lower than normal ability to accommodate differences of views peacefully.

The forum that I use for my other hobby is far less prone to up-tightness, properly like a decent pub or cafe. Not entirely sure why, but it is noticeable that the moderators of that one are much more comfortable to take people by the scruff of the neck and cast them into the street if they don’t play nicely together.
But these things are all so subjective, don't you think? I would say every forum is ... different in these respects. The Mods set their own tones, and the members create the tone, even more so. I can certainly find rudeness, and views that I find objectionable (sometimes offensive) almost everywhere. But i don't tend to hang around if they are more than a small minority :)
“Hissing” wasn’t a typo. I had in mind “hissy fits”. I only realised afterwards that it would have been better with a ‘p’.
:lol:
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Jdsk wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 10:55am This has just come up elsewhere, specifically about showing or removing the name of the poster of the quoted text.

My first thoughts:

1 Pruning the quoted post is generally good practice because it allows the reader to concentrate on the specific issue.

2 Removing the name was criticised in the other discussion. But removing the name can be used in a constructive attempt to avoid personalisation and feuding.

Thoughts, please.

Thanks

Jonathan
Following your format and in answer to your points.

1) Pruning a post might allow focus but it might also take away context. Wilfully quoting someone out of context is, as far as I’m concerned, unreasonable behaviour. Something that I occasionally do is add bold or underlining to someone else’s text (to highlight a specific point) but I also note (advise) that that is what I’ve done.

2) Generally I think it best to leave the name. There are occasions when I don’t, sometimes that’s due to convenience and sometimes that’s to defuse arguments; in my opinion discussions are helpful but arguments are not.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
PH

Post by PH »

Nearholmer wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 11:24am And, I think of conversations on forums as a bit like chats/debates in the pub or cafe, rather than the sort of hissing-contests that precious academics indulge in, where the precise forms of citation become ways of winning or losing points in the game.
Even in a pub conversation, if I'm referring to something said earlier, rather than immediately replying to it, I'll make it clear who and what that is "When John said XXX, I think YYY" I think not doing so removes context.
There's also those one may usually ignore, either by skipping their contribution, or through the software, if you're not interested in what they have to say, you're not likely to be interested in the response to it and don't want to be dragged in by a third party.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

IMO the comparison with pub conversations is terribly flawed (despite being quite common).

In this case it highlights that you can't stroll off for 30 hours, then jump into the conversation with a response to something said yesterday!

Plus your comments will mostly be tailored for the specific audience of 2-7 people around you; not anyone 4 tables away, or who comes into the pub after you've all left.