Bringing EU purchased bike into UK

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PH

Re: Bringing EU purchased bike into UK

Post by PH »

Sparky56 wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 7:20pm So if you order it from the shop and get it posted there would be proof of export and you definitely should not pay German vat. I have ordered stuff that way from EU and have not paid vat.

It's a different set of rules.
The shop are not exporting it, the buyer is importing it.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Nearholmer wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 1:56pm Unless, I suppose, you give it as a generous gift to a passing Frenchman, and he then sells it back to you for an amount below the threshold, just before you get on the boat. But, that sounds a bit dodgy.

Could you not buy the bike from the supplier for €1, and buy another bike from them for €3999, but then leave that second bike behind in their shop in perpetuity? Or, better plan, buy a pair of cycling socks for €3999, wear them out, and throw them away before returning to the UK? Again, sounds a bit dodgy.
The value is not what you paid for it, the import is a different transaction to the purchase. The value is what the Customs officer assigns it. He may believe your receipts, but if you got it in a deal, he can assign more.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

thidwick wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 8:18pm
About 3 years ago I think.
So before Brexit day? Then what you did was the correct procedure at the time.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Are the systems and staff now in place to make the checks at the ports? After leaving the EU, for many months checks were not being carried out.
A friend kindly brought over from the UK a kit to motorise my bike. The company concerned stopped shipping here, due I expect the paperwork. He had no problem bringing it over or taking it back. It didn't fit the bike and sending it back by carrier was a problem due to the battery. I'm sure if he'd been stopped there would be questions about the kit.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 7:30am Are the systems and staff now in place to make the checks at the ports? After leaving the EU, for many months checks were not being carried out.
No.

Current start date is October 2023 with a phased set-up for various categories after that. Bikes and bike parts "fully operational" by 31 October 2024.
viewtopic.php?p=1764817#p1764817

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

st599_uk wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 10:00pm
thidwick wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 8:18pm About 3 years ago I think.
So before Brexit day? Then what you did was the correct procedure at the time.
Thanks for that, thidwick. This is why I asked.

Jonathan
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

PH wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 8:54pm
Sparky56 wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 7:20pm So if you order it from the shop and get it posted there would be proof of export and you definitely should not pay German vat. I have ordered stuff that way from EU and have not paid vat.

I’ve ordered a bunch of stuff mail order from the EU and have never had to pay local (i.e. german, norwegian, french, belgian) VAT. Post office/Parcel force have collected the appropriate UK duties from me on arrival in UK (i.e. UK VAT and import tax).

Anyway this is a bit of a tangent as the OP is going to collect the bike.

However I’ve also come to the conclusion that ordering from EU is too much hassle now. Main issues are postal delays and companies not being familiar with the necessary paperwork. Hopefully it will improve with time

On the othger hand I have found ordering from USA / Canada to be much more straightforward. presume because those countries are much more familiar with the correct paperwork. I have Never been charged sales tax although have (of course) had to pay import duty and uK vat
PH

Post by PH »

Sparky56 wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 6:50pm

I’ve ordered a bunch of stuff mail order from the EU and have never had to pay local (i.e. german, norwegian, french, belgian) VAT. Post office/Parcel force have collected the appropriate UK duties from me on arrival in UK (i.e. UK VAT and import tax).
That's exactly as it should be, if the consignment is over £135, is there some disagreement here?
When you've bought something from the EU, the retailer makes a declaration that it's being exported with the appropriated customs form. If you go into a shop and tell them you're going to be taking your purchase out of the EU, it isn't their responsibility to check you do. You're taxed for what it is, a sale in the EU, and you can reclaim the VAT if you leave.
If this wasn't the case there'd be a nice living to be made buying stuff tax free and selling it without removing it!
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

FWIW, have just checked EU rules of origin for bicycles,
"Manufacture in which the value of all the materials used does not exceed 50% of the ex-works price of the product"
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -equipment
The commodity code is 8712007099

But you'd need a declaration from the manufacturer that the product meets this I think.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Sparky56 wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 6:50pm

Anyway this is a bit of a tangent as the OP is going to collect the bike.

However I’ve also come to the conclusion that ordering from EU is too much hassle now. Main issues are postal delays and companies not being familiar with the necessary paperwork. Hopefully it will improve with time

On the othger hand I have found ordering from USA / Canada to be much more straightforward. presume because those countries are much more familiar with the correct paperwork. I have Never been charged sales tax although have (of course) had to pay import duty and uK vat
Even that's changed now though. If it's below £135 the non-UK shop deals with the UK VAT and duty and sends it to HMRC on your behalf (They have to register with UK HMRC). If it's over then the shipping company's agent does (and charges a fee for doing so).
A novice learning...
borisface

Post by borisface »

I bet Rees-Mogg wants you for a sunbeam!
[/quote]
Wash your mouth out with soap and water!
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

st599_uk wrote: 9 Jun 2023, 2:17pm
Even that's changed now though. If it's below £135 the non-UK shop deals with the UK VAT and duty and sends it to HMRC on your behalf (They have to register with UK HMRC). If it's over then the shipping company's agent does (and charges a fee for doing so).
yes & that means many EU shops are now refusing to allow orders under £135 :(