1x10 Sram GX upgrade compatibility

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
crazyfrog

1x10 Sram GX upgrade compatibility

Post by crazyfrog »

I’d like to upgrade my sram GX 2x10 derailleur to accept a 1x10 wide range(11-46) 10sp cassette but don’t understand sram compatibility as I’ve always had shimano. Can someone enlighten me?
:)

On other bikes I’ve upgraded older 9/10 speed drivetrains that have needed a new chain/cassette anyway to 1x10 with an wide range (11-46t) cassette using a m7000 derailleur but kept my existing hub and 10sp shifters.
Confirming compatibility of this online was a nightmare back in 2021 where someone calculated cable pull ratios to be well within margin of error when using 10sp cassette/shifter but the info is readily available here in an easier to read post.
viewtopic.php?t=137345
CJ

Re: 1x10 Sram GX upgrade compatibility

Post by CJ »

crazyfrog wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 10:29am I’d like to upgrade my sram GX 2x10 derailleur to accept a 1x10 wide range(11-46) 10sp cassette but don’t understand sram compatibility as I’ve always had shimano. Can someone enlighten me?

On other bikes I’ve upgraded older 9/10 speed drivetrains that have needed a new chain/cassette anyway to 1x10 with an wide range (11-46t) cassette using a m7000 derailleur but kept my existing hub and 10sp shifters.
Confirming compatibility of this online was a nightmare back in 2021 where someone calculated cable pull ratios to be well within margin of error when using 10sp cassette/shifter but the info is readily available here in an easier to read post.
viewtopic.php?t=137345
I'm sorry I can't help much with that: I may have coined the word 'Shimergo' but don't have any Sram on any of my bikes. To me it looks like a can of worms.

According to Bike Gremlin Sram has four indexing 'families' three of which claim to be 1:1, which is a 1.00 shift ratio, but none of which actually are! Or maybe one of them actually is. Because according to The Comment, Sram double down on that claim rather forcefully with regard to one of those families. Like I said: can of worms. And I'm not about to waste my own money discovering how these worms actually relate to one another! Plus I hate Sram's weird double-tap shifting.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Officially it won't work. and most likely unofficially it won't work either. 36t is the official max, and 42t is likely the unofficial max, and you do see them getting more fussy.

I've never done it with the GX, but i've gone to 42t on the XO and X9. The X9 worked for a while then the stresses bent it beyond repair. the XO is doing fine, but its does work better on the 36t.

With an extender you can probably go further.
crazyfrog

Post by crazyfrog »

CJ wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 12:31pm
crazyfrog wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 10:29am I’d like to upgrade my sram GX 2x10 derailleur to accept a 1x10 wide range(11-46) 10sp cassette but don’t understand sram compatibility as I’ve always had shimano. Can someone enlighten me?

viewtopic.php?t=137345
I'm sorry I can't help much with that: I may have coined the word 'Shimergo' but don't have any Sram on any of my bikes. To me it looks like a can of worms.

According to Bike Gremlin Sram has four indexing 'families' three of which claim to be 1:1, which is a 1.00 shift ratio, but none of which actually are! Or maybe one of them actually is. Because according to The Comment, Sram double down on that claim rather forcefully with regard to one of those families. Like I said: can of worms. And I'm not about to waste my own money discovering how these worms actually relate to one another! Plus I hate Sram's weird double-tap shifting.
I really don’t know what you’re on about with shimergo.

Honestly since I got the bike the only thing I’ve done to the 2x10 drivetrain is clean the chain and jockey wheels, shifting is sold and it feels like a new bike except when I rode my 29” specalized camber 2012 with it’s 34t blackspire oval chainring, 11-46 cassette and shimano SLX m7000.
crazyfrog

Post by crazyfrog »

Jupestar wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 3:48pm Officially it won't work. and most likely unofficially it won't work either. 36t is the official max, and 42t is likely the unofficial max, and you do see them getting more fussy.

I've never done it with the GX, but i've gone to 42t on the XO and X9. The X9 worked for a while then the stresses bent it beyond repair. the XO is doing fine, but its does work better on the 36t.

With an extender you can probably go further.
It’s not really worth the trouble of the extra strain and flex of an extender that make my bike shift sloppy. I’m aware of the jtec shiftmate adaptors but they’re just going to fail prematurely.

I was hoping for an easy upgrade path so it puts into perspective how good value the shimano m5100 derailleur and sl-m4100 shifter is for older bikes with 8,9,10 speed wheelsete.
CJ

Post by CJ »

crazyfrog wrote: 8 Jun 2023, 9:26pmI really don’t know what you’re on about with shimergo.
Combining Shimano MTB mechs with Campanolo Ergopower shifters. This was desired by touring cyclists since the 90s, because - unlike Shimano STI levers for dropped bars - Ergopower didn't index the front shift (but does now :( ), didn't have 'washing line' cables to get in the way of a bar bag (neither does STI now :D ) and allowed several sprockets to be shifted at one stroke.

Shimergo remains useful - if you can get hold of old enough Ergos to not index the front shift - thanks to a lucky coincidence of Campag 10-speed pulling near enough the same amount of cable per shift as the new geometry (same shift ratio as 11-speed) Shimano road 10-speed, so you can operate both a MTB front mech and gravel rear mech (GRX-400 only) from dropped bars with rings down to 22T and sprockets up to 36T.

I realise this information is no use to you. Sorry. :wink:
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

( I can't get used to the term "upgrade" when the result is less gear options.....however I hope you find a way)
old fangled

Post by 853 »

CJ wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 11:03amCombining Shimano MTB mechs with Campanolo Ergopower shifters. This was desired by touring cyclists since the 90s, because - unlike Shimano STI levers for dropped bars - Ergopower didn't index the front shift (but does now :( ), didn't have 'washing line' cables to get in the way of a bar bag (neither does STI now :D ) and allowed several sprockets to be shifted at one stroke.

Shimergo remains useful - if you can get hold of old enough Ergos to not index the front shift - thanks to a lucky coincidence of Campag 10-speed pulling near enough the same amount of cable per shift as the new geometry (same shift ratio as 11-speed) Shimano road 10-speed, so you can operate both a MTB front mech and gravel rear mech (GRX-400 only) from dropped bars with rings down to 22T and sprockets up to 36T.

I realise this information is no use to you. Sorry. :wink:
It might not be useful to crazyfrog, but I found it interesting. If you'd called it ShimErgo I'd have got it from the title (probably).

But I would find it interesting, as I'm getting the best rear gear shifts I've ever had using a 1991 RD7402 (8 speed) with Sora STI levers from around 2014 (9 speed) with a 9 speed chain and cassette (with a mix of 8 and 9 speed spacers between sprockets)
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

hoogerbooger wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 1:17pm ( I can't get used to the term "upgrade" when the result is less gear options.....however I hope you find a way)
Agreed. This doesn't feel like and 'upgrade'.