EBike Purchase problems

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mattgod69

EBike Purchase problems

Post by mattgod69 »

Hi all...

I purchased a Whyte E-506 earlier this year from an online retailer. I noticed fairly quickly a creak when peddeling and the retailer advised I get it checked by a local shop which I did. They tried to sort but after two attempts I asked the online retailer to pick the bike up and sort it out. The retailer i purchased from refunded the costs I incurred with the local shop.

They took the bike away and i think sorted or the problem but returned it to me with some damage on the crank and the rack. They have tried to get a replacement crack but they are saying the manufacturer does not have them any more, even though the exact same ones appear to be on the 2023 model. They are saying the same for the rack.

They have offered me a gift voucher but I really want the bits they damaged replaced. So you think I am being unreasonable or should I keep going back to them. I look after my things and the fact that it has been damaged is very annoying. I know it will get damaged, but that is different of course.

The whole experience has left a bad taste in my mouth. It appears that the bike was not treated with any respect when with them and I am not at all happy. I like the bike but really want a replacement. The bike was almost £3000 when new.

What do you think?

Many thanks for your comments and time.

Matt
Jdsk

Re: EBike Purchase problems

Post by Jdsk »

What country was it bought in?

What was the timeline... purchase, delivery and appearance of fault?

Do they dispute that the damage occurred while it was with them?

If they can't replace the damaged parts what do you want... replacement of the bike, financial compensation?

As always: keep contemporaneous written records of all communications.

Jonathan
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

It's always difficult when a problem appears on bikes bought on-line.
I bought a bike this way and whilst I love the bike there is a problem with noise from the motor.
18 emails later they have agreed to get the bike returned for a refund. This wasn't my first choice, I rather they just replaced it.
Several months have now gone by and I no longer have the packaging so a trip to our nearest bike shop and a pretty please can I have a bike carton.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

There’s little doubt that, despite the convenience and often price advantage of buying online, it can be a real headache when it comes to warranty issues.

Much as I am of the same mind as the OP in terms of looking after my things and hating even the slightest damage, I think I’d let it go under the circumstances.

Alternatively, assuming the retailer accepts that they are responsible for the damage, would it be worth asking for an alternate crankset of equivalent price or perhaps cash in lieu so you can source your own. I’m not saying they are obliged to provide either, but it might represent the best compromise for both.
PH

Post by PH »

Is the value of the gift voucher offered enough for new cranks and a rack, is similar quality?
You can't insist they replace with identical and if they claim that stock isn't available, you have to accept that or demonstrate otherwise, that it still appears on complete bikes isn't enough, you don't know when they were built.
What I'd do - Take the bike back the the LBS who dealt with it before, get a written quote to replace the damaged parts with the best match you can agree on. Send this to the supplier asking them to pay it, returning you as best possible to the original position.

Several comments about the disadvantages of buying online, that isn't my experience, I've had good and bad from both online and the High St, both cycling and other products. When I bought an E-bike I purchased online from a chain with a local branch. I did this because it would be easier to get the bike to them if it had needed anything, rather than the perceived level of service. Thankfully, I haven't needed to test this.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

No probs with my Ortler Bozen bought through Bikester Germany 4 years ago. Bosch drive is excellent. Bit of a tank but really well built with quality parts.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

distance selling regs
The Consumer Rights Act 2015 governs businesses selling goods or services at a distance and under the Act, a business must ensure:

Goods are as described
Goods are fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality
That if goods are faulty, the business must give a full refund up to 30 days after the item was purchased
That if goods are found faulty up to six months after purchase and the goods can't be repaired or replaced, then a consumer can also ask for a full refund in most cases

upshot is if your not happy your within your rights to get a refund or a full replacement
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."