That's a cool busby...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

That's a cool busby...

Post by simonineaston »

What with modern technology, going to Mars, drones that bomb tanks and all, it's about time somebody fitted a tiny, tiny air cooling device into the poor guardsmen's hats...
too hot hat
too hot hat
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Re: That's a cool busby...

Post by Jdsk »

"That's a cool busby..."

Ahem...

; - )

Jonathan
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

...Or maybe actually see sense and postpone this pointless pageantry for a cooler day?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I heard they're trained to stay to attention all the way down. If you look at fully kitted guardsmen and women fainting you'll see them go down straight without putting a hand out!
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

There's a study to understand this type of fainting
https://www.army.mod.uk/news-and-events ... yle-vests/
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You don't need to wear a busby to pass out with the heat on a parade ground. Personally, I never did it, but I have seen many a sailor pass out in the heat. Saw one collapse in the guard - rifle and fixed bayonet too! :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The things on their heads are bearskins.

Jonathan
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

The British Army and associated is the worlds best.However change is good.One example.Some army units swapped from boots to trainers.Less injuries.In this case its pointless having poor soldiers passing out.If it happened to a Labrador left in a car in the sun.Rightly the Police and Animal rights would prosecute for cruelty.
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There's a few guards units but it's possibly little known that other units gets guarding duties. Aiui RAF get a go and don't wear stupid hats like the bearskin. Also foreign military units get in the rotation. Aiui aussies and Canadians have turn. However I think there's still a cosmetic / show with std guards with bearskin. The pantomime is tradition for the tourists afterall.

BTW the first female guard was aussie or Canadian. Several years later a uk female guards got into the pantomime. The colonies are more civilised perhaps?