National Cycle Show , NEC

Talk about events & rides. Find companions for your ride.
Jules59

National Cycle Show , NEC

Post by Jules59 »

Went along to the National Cycle Show at the NEC today - had some free tickets and the NEC is only 20 mins away.
Ive never been to a cycle show before but I was expecting something diverse, covering all sorts of cycling. So was rather disappointed when it appears to cover only few small MTBs, gravel and electric bikes manufacturers that Id never heard of. No road/race bikes to speak of. In fact there were more stands selling cycling glasses than road bikes. There were none of the "British" brands that I'd recognise eg Ribble, Spa, Hope, Brompton, Reilly, Enigma etc . As a "National" event I'm not really sure what the point of the event was.

I wonder if its followed the path of the Dive Show at the NEC where over the years companies pulled out over the prohibitive costs of having a stand and more customers using the internet for purchasing such that the show became a shadow of its former self where once great deals could be had on SCUBA kit at the show.
Carlton green

Re: National Cycle Show , NEC

Post by Carlton green »

As it happens I too was at the show today and whilst I spent an interesting few hours there it really had little to do with cycling as I know it. Electric bikes were on nearly all of the stands and they all seemed to have powered rear hubs, perhaps there were other varieties but I somehow missed them. The best bike that I saw wasn’t on show but rather locked up and tucked out of the way, it was an old touring bike, nothing particularly special just a nice bike.

I suppose I can’t complain about the ticket price (an old friend got some free tickets) but time and travel was involved and lunch wasn’t free. No doubt many folk had a great day there and I don’t think that my time was wasted but really the show could have been so much better.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

I did have some interesting talks with some of the stand people - a Welsh company making £14K MTBs with carbon tubes and 3D printed titanium lugs was interesting but rather niche - they sell about 250 a year across their range IIRC
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I went to the show last year at the NEC and was disappointed with what was on show and although we couldn't get the coach home till 7pm we were wandering round Bull Ring shopping centre at 4pm having left the show just after 3pm.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

I went last year and was disappointed. There was very little of interest to me as a cycling commuter, day rider and occasional tourist.
There were a lot of stands with nothing to do with any form of cycling.
Richard M
Cardiff
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Some events at the NEC seem to badge themselves “national” on the basis of being at the national exhibition centre, and little else.

“National” is one of those words that sounds good, but doesn’t really have any defined meaning outside of particular contexts like organised sporting leagues anyway: I could set the barbecue up in the back garden this afternoon, and call cooking a few bangers badly The National Sausage Grill 2023, and I don’t think anyone could prevent me doing so (ridicule me, yes; prevent, no).

I’ve never been to a big bike show, and thought seriously about going to this one, but decided not after looking at the list of exhibitors, which seemed a bit random, and not even broadly representative, let alone comprehensive, in any category.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

I went to one at the Islington Business Centre in London a few years ago. I thought it was ok.
There were trade stands and lots of bikes to try out. I rode a Paul Hewitt bike and subsequently
went to Preston to order one.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

At one Cycle Show punters could take a carpet spin on a long wheelbase recumbent tandem, so I tried it, on my own. After a couple of circuits I drew up and a blind man, uninvited, climbed into the other seat. So we did a few more circuits.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

I went last year, and my opinion was far higher than that of this forums' members! So I'll take comments here with a pinch of salt ..

But for me, the speakers were a big part of it. I've just checked this year's list - how people could see all those and have NOTHING positive to say is just baffling. Oh well, you can't please everyone ... :lol:
Paulatic

Re: National Cycle Show , Glasgow

Post by Paulatic »

ONE DAY ONLY Glasgow host Brazin bicycles.

BRAZIN SCOTLAND HANDMADE BICYCLE SHOW
5th AUGUST 2023
CIVIC HOUSE GLASGOW

Hand crafted bikes https://www.brazin-scotland.com/
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info