chat GPT and other AI tools

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
axel_knutt

chat GPT and other AI tools

Post by axel_knutt »

So what's all that about then?

I came on here today, and read a thread about Chat GPT & woke. Then when I clicked on a thread about Chat GPT & helmets, I got the login dialogue box instead of the thread opening, and as soon as I logged in it said "You are not authorised to view this forum". Going back to the thread I'd just read, I got the same message. After I logged back out I was still barred, and after refreshing the active topic page, the two threads in question had disappeared from the list.

What have I been barred from, and why?
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Jdsk

Re: You are not authorised to view this forum

Post by Jdsk »

I suspect that the Moderators had concerns about today's multiple new threads and posts of ChatGPT responses. Those threads are no longer visible or accessible.

If you can still see and post in other forums and threads it may not be anything specific to you.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 6 Jul 2023, 12:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
re_cycler

Post by re_cycler »

I've just had the same although I was "guilty" of posting in the Helmet ChatGPT thread. I even have a notification of an unread reply.
Were the multiple threads all started by the same person ?
slowster

Post by slowster »

Four threads were started using AI generated posts, all of which have been removed. I think some rules will be needed regarding use of AI generated material in posts, but for the time being please do not use AI to generate posts, especially not for a new thread.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thankyou, slowster.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

axel_knutt wrote: 6 Jul 2023, 12:42pm So what's all that about then?

I came on here today, and read a thread about Chat GPT & woke. Then when I clicked on a thread about Chat GPT & helmets, I got the login dialogue box instead of the thread opening, and as soon as I logged in it said "You are not authorised to view this forum". Going back to the thread I'd just read, I got the same message. After I logged back out I was still barred, and after refreshing the active topic page, the two threads in question had disappeared from the list.

What have I been barred from, and why?
The general explanation is that the moderators etc., have always had a section of the forum which is only visible to them, which is why it's normal to be unaware of its existence. If you try to edit a post they have parked there, it seems you now see this message. (I'm not sure but I fancy BITD you didn't see this message, even though the section of the forum was always there.)

AIUI, this occurs in two circumstances

1. When the moderators are reflecting how to act and "park" a thread pro tem

2 If the moderators want to record their actions for later reference
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

slowster wrote: 6 Jul 2023, 12:58pm Four threads were started using AI generated posts, all of which have been removed. I think some rules will be needed regarding use of AI generated material in posts, but for the time being please do not use AI to generate posts, especially not for a new thread.
I’m totally ignorant of AI I’ve no interest in it.
For clarification do you mean the AI app can actually start a thread? Or is it the case a human started a thread with AI content?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
slowster

Post by slowster »

Paulatic wrote: 6 Jul 2023, 2:45pm For clarification do you mean the AI app can actually start a thread? Or is it the case a human started a thread with AI content?
The latter. That said, although as far as I am aware the generally publicly accessible AI tools like ChatGPT currently only generate text or images, I am sure AI tools have been or will be developed that would be able to start a thread etc.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Paulatic wrote: 6 Jul 2023, 2:45pm
slowster wrote: 6 Jul 2023, 12:58pm Four threads were started using AI generated posts, all of which have been removed. I think some rules will be needed regarding use of AI generated material in posts, but for the time being please do not use AI to generate posts, especially not for a new thread.
For clarification do you mean the AI app can actually start a thread? Or is it the case a human started a thread with AI content?
A human asked ChatGPT a question and then posted the question and ChatGPT's response in a new thread. And then repeated that in several new threads.

Jonathan
(Crossed with previous post)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

slowster wrote: 6 Jul 2023, 2:55pm
Paulatic wrote: 6 Jul 2023, 2:45pm For clarification do you mean the AI app can actually start a thread? Or is it the case a human started a thread with AI content?
The latter. That said, although as far as I am aware the generally publicly accessible AI tools like ChatGPT currently only generate text or images, I am sure AI tools have been or will be developed that would be able to start a thread etc.
ChatGPT can generate computer code...

Jonathan
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

But chatGPT can't tell me where the cheapest place in my area is to buy petrol. It seems fairly limited in it's usefulness.
Lynskey Peloton, Ron Cooper, Bates BAR, Yates Expedition, Dawes Sardar, Dawes Edge, Pashley Parabike, Dawes Clubman
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

It's not only ignorant, it also makes false assertions. The trendy term is hallucinations:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucina ... elligence)

Jonathan
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Paulatic wrote: 6 Jul 2023, 2:45pm
Luck you, I often have to drive up the A1, hate it, esp when it turns to single carriageway in the no-mans-land between England & Scotland, which nearly extends from Newcastle to Edinburgh

As for wearing helmets when on the A1, I doubt they would help with the weight and speed of the traffic.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I agree. Abuse of recent lying/ hallucinating / plagiarising AI has the potential to make forums unusable. We should be thankful that the person posting today's lies was explicit in saying where they'd come from.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

I started the AL CHAT to show the limitation of the process and the disjointed reasoning.

I find it laughable the removal of these posts.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic