2023 TDF potential spoliers- watch the latest stage before reading

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
MrsHJ

2023 TDF potential spoliers- watch the latest stage before reading

Post by MrsHJ »

Ok, I think this is what Vorpal suggested. Then we can just have a long thread for this years TDF rather than lots of posts.

Anyhow- excellent stage again today. WvA at his best and Pog showing his style.
Paulatic

Re: 2023 TDF potential spoliers- watch the latest stage before reading

Post by Paulatic »

I understand your mistake as Vorpal did say
Feel free to post here
:wink:
Yes an excellent days racing Wout is a hero.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

For anybody depending on the hapless BBC for their news, at the other end of the results Cav and his domestiques beat the limit by a couple of minutes.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

thirdcrank wrote: 6 Jul 2023, 7:20pm For anybody depending on the hapless BBC for their news, at the other end of the results Cav and his domestiques beat the limit by a couple of minutes.
Nicely judged. Should be as fresh as possible for tomorrow. Does the BBC report any cycling? I quite like the guardian for their « as it happens » live reporting when I’m at work. I was WFH this afternoon- got a bit of catching up to do now but worth it.
re_cycler

Post by re_cycler »

MrsHJ wrote: 6 Jul 2023, 7:33pm
thirdcrank wrote: 6 Jul 2023, 7:20pm For anybody depending on the hapless BBC for their news, at the other end of the results Cav and his domestiques beat the limit by a couple of minutes.
Nicely judged. Should be as fresh as possible for tomorrow. Does the BBC report any cycling? I quite like the guardian for their « as it happens » live reporting when I’m at work.
I normally find they give a 15 second summary on the news just to catch you out if you haven't seen the stage.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Does the BBC report any cycling?
Not much but they have been re-hashing the live summary from the race centre - which doesn't broadcast much about the riders trying to beat the limit. You might think that the BBC would twig that Mark Cavendish's continued presence in the race was important to its home audience. Tonight on the ITV4 results programme, Cav did explain something of the art of conserving energy but he's not always avoided being eliminated.

The "Race Centre" does have a set of counters showing: time elapsed since stage winner finished; time to limit; number of riders still to finish. This evening, when that third figure was zero, there was no way of being sure Cav was safe. Not a big deal but tMO the BBC might as well not bother.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Curious tactics so far this race, it wouldn't surprise me if someone else took yellow again from a breakaway, maybe Hindley, maybe someone else, would be good to see Simon Yates get up the road wouldn't it.

Geraint Thomas is releasing regular podcasts throughout the race, merging his two podcasts into one, so shared hosting between himself, Luke Rowe and Tom Fordyce in all possible combinations. Listened to the one from two days ago looking forward to yesterday's stage. He said it would be good if Pogacar could get some time back, but he couldn't see it happening. Both Geraint Thomas and Luke Rowe have been rather critical of the tactics employed by UAE and Jumbo-Visma so far.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Postboxer wrote: 7 Jul 2023, 12:07pm Curious tactics so far this race, it wouldn't surprise me if someone else took yellow again from a breakaway, maybe Hindley, maybe someone else, would be good to see Simon Yates get up the road wouldn't it.

Geraint Thomas is releasing regular podcasts throughout the race, merging his two podcasts into one, so shared hosting between himself, Luke Rowe and Tom Fordyce in all possible combinations. Listened to the one from two days ago looking forward to yesterday's stage. He said it would be good if Pogacar could get some time back, but he couldn't see it happening. Both Geraint Thomas and Luke Rowe have been rather critical of the tactics employed by UAE and Jumbo-Visma so far.
I'm expecting a full on sprint stage today.
I was also going to plug the Geraint Thomas podcast. Great to hear what the pros' interpretation of events is. Unlike many active sportspeople, they seem pretty candid and honest about what they see. And quite amusing too.
Also lanterne rouge pod and youtube for much drier but still thoughtful discussion of pro racing.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Well, darn, I might have shouted him on a bit today. Apparently his gears slipped in the final section.

On the jumbo/UAE tactics I may have some thoughts on Ineos tactics too especially in the giro but I am also enjoying the podcast.

Good tourism again- I’ve ridden some of the climbs, holidayed in cauterets a couple of times and the way into Bordeaux today I rode this year. We’re visiting the puy de dome in late august so whilst I’m mostly interested in the racing up there it’ll add a nice dimension to Sunday.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

YES! YES! YES! no. :(
Must admit I did shout and then slumped back into the chair.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

I also shouted...
Gives some hope for the other sprint stages at least.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I'm sure Astana will be more careful about the top limit screw from now on!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Did Cavendish change bikes with 50km to go?, if so, I wonder what the problem was.

I wouldn't have been surprised if Phillipsen had been relegated for moving right across the road, almost causing a crash, that's twice now others have had to take avoiding action. Sagan got thrown off the race for something similar, causing a crash. I thought the idea was to police the rules before someone causes a crash. Both instances the barriers looked to bend inwards causing a slight pinch point, don't know if they had been placed like that or if the crowd had moved them slightly.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Pendodave wrote: 7 Jul 2023, 1:53pm
Postboxer wrote: 7 Jul 2023, 12:07pm Curious tactics so far this race, it wouldn't surprise me if someone else took yellow again from a breakaway, maybe Hindley, maybe someone else, would be good to see Simon Yates get up the road wouldn't it.

I'm expecting a full on sprint stage today.
I was also going to plug the Geraint Thomas podcast. Great to hear what the pros' interpretation of events is. Unlike many active sportspeople, they seem pretty candid and honest about what they see. And quite amusing too.
Also lanterne rouge pod and youtube for much drier but still thoughtful discussion of pro racing.
How does one access these podcasts? does one have to subscribe to another host to get them. I just want to put them on my pc so i can transfer them to an mp3 player.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

rjb wrote: 8 Jul 2023, 12:14pm How does one access these podcasts? does one have to subscribe to another host to get them. I just want to put them on my pc so i can transfer them to an mp3 player.
I'm imagining that if you type the podcast name (or a decent approximation) into your pc search engine of choice it will pull up a list of links from which you could either stream or download the mp3 files.
No subscription or payment required.